I am a newb on a budget. I only have about £450 to spend on gear.

I am looking for any recommendations for guitar gear. I have been using a Orange Crush PiX CR20LDX Combo With Digital Effects which was good at just £130ish until I broke it, and ever since, even after repair it sounds terrible, the effects still sound decent though. I like the chorus and vibrato a lot. I have 0 pedals because I've been waiting to decide on a new amp before I even consider those. My guitar is a fender 65' mustang reissue.

The kind of guitar tone I'm looking for is something like Diiv , beach fossils or slowdive etc. Obviously you can't bracket them into one sound but that's the drift I want. I know for a fact Slowdive and DIIV use Roland JC-120's which seems to be the go to amp for this sound but I'm not sure I'd find one pop up cheap enough (Closest I found was a used one at £450). Is there a cheaper alternative?

As far as pedals go, again, I have no clue, I've been trying to identify some of the pedals bands I like use and they're things like Roland Space Echo's which is far too much for me to consider.

Can anyone recommend me anything for my budget? Is it it better to simply buy a good amp or a cheaper one with some good pedals? Any advice will help me because I have no idea what I'm on about.

Thanks
Last edited by lameboy23 at Feb 9, 2014,
If you can squeeze out a JC-120 and worry about effects later, that's the way to go. A good amp will go a long, long way
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The big Roland Cubes do a pretty good job of sounding like a JC.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Forgot about those

Has effects for you to play with too.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Thanks guys.

At this point I really am just looking for an amp to play at home. So does it make more sense for me to get a Roland cube and possibly some pedals if I want to beef up the effects or to just wait on a JC-120 and use that for essentially forever, with a view of getting some nice pedals later?

I think the first option probably does make more sense atm as I don't necessarily need the pedals anyway if it has a decent range of effects, it could just be a few additional commodities that would satisfy the 120's (or whatever I end up with) needs later on. Any recommendations on which cube in that case? One for about £150 would be good.
Ooh thanks, well that changes things. Which is better value for money then, the JC-120 or the Super Champ X2?

Such a dilemma in my head as a newb to this all.
There is also the JC60 which is one half of a JC120 (ie the JC120 is stereo and the JC60 is just one channel). You can often get them for good prices used because everybody wants the 120.
If it's just for home use and you can't find a JC60 just go for the cube with the biggest speaker you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Only playing at home for now.

What is so good about this Super Champ X2 fwiw? Is it genuinely better than the JC-120 because if I'm splashing out £300-400 on an amp I'd prefer the one that's going to be the best long term investment. I guess that probably comes down to personal preference, I'll have to get around to watching some tutorials for that one, every Roland JC tutorial I ever watched seemed like the dream kind of sound though.

Couldn't find a JC-60 anywhere on the web after a 5 minute search, what sort of price are you looking at for that? £100-200 is good if I'm looking at the cheap option.

I'm pretty stuck now between the short term or long term investment.
Thanks to you all. Think this thread has set me on that big JC.

You've helped set a clueless kid on his path in music
Quote by lameboy23

As far as pedals go, again, I have no clue, I've been trying to identify some of the pedals bands I like use and they're things like Roland Space Echo's which is far too much for me to consider.

Can anyone recommend me anything for my budget? Is it it better to simply buy a good amp or a cheaper one with some good pedals? Any advice will help me because I have no idea what I'm on about.

I'm a fan of the older stuff- MBV, Lush, J & MC, Curve- but the fundamentals are still the same: you want decent fuzz & distortion pedals, but what's key is reverb and echo.

Depending on the precise band you're emulating, how much you need fuzz & distortion will vary. Some use almost none, others rival hard rock acts. Better, IMHO, to invest in a decent one. Good fuzz & distortion pedals will give you the flexibility to cover the entire range.

Some bands use multiple reverb & echo pedals to get their sounds, working tOgether or separately.

Among my pedals, ones I'd reccomend to you for this tonequest would be:
- Line6 ToneCore Verbzilla (bang for the buck + quality tones)
- Line6 ToneCore Echo Park (bang for the buck + quality tones)
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde (very flexible overdrive & distortion)
- T. Rex MAB Overdrive (very clean overdrive)
- Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi (basic, bulletproof, affordable)
- Boss RT-20 Rotary (that swirl can be a lot of fun)
- Boss RE-20 Space Echo (gets you a lot of the Roland's function for a fraction of the price)

I'd also consider the MXR Carbon Copy to be a really good option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 9, 2014,
Thank you, I'll keep that list for later on.

Maybe someday I can boast a pedal range like Kevin Shields
Get a JC-60, and a ZCat Big Reverb. I play in a shoegaze band (link in sig) and one of the guitarists uses that pedal. It's very similar to the Neunaber Wet Reverb but is cheaper in Europe.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Cathbard
There is also the JC60 which is one half of a JC120 (ie the JC120 is stereo and the JC60 is just one channel). You can often get them for good prices used because everybody wants the 120.
If it's just for home use and you can't find a JC60 just go for the cube with the biggest speaker you can afford.

+311

I think a Roland Cube can hold you over for a while. Specifically you want a Roland Cube 80 of some variant (the 80 is the smallest model with a 12" speaker).

If you can get one of those for half your budget, save your other half for a JC60 (JC120 is pointless and massive IMO) and a nice pedalboard. dannyalcatraz gave some good recs. Look at the Line 6 M9. You can knock out a lot of birds with that one stone. I have one and it's really great.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Can't find a JC-60 anywhere

What's the price like for one of those used? £200 ish?
I'm not seeing it either. I think the model name might be JC-50, not JC-60. Any idea if that's right, Cath?

I see two JC-50s on my eBay completed, one went for $180 and one went for $270.

There's a few Cube 80XLs on my eBay completed, they seem to go for $200-250.

That said, your market is completely different than mine, so I don't know how closely they'll compare. But check out your eBay completed and keep an eye on new listings. If you can find a JC-50 for that cheap, there's no need to bother with the Cube at all.

EDIT: Found some info about the Jazz Chorus models here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-1180990.html
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 10, 2014,