I have a pretty low end Randall rg-35. Even though I know it's not the nicest amp I love the tone I get out of it. The only problem I'm having is I'm not getting enough volume and to remedy that I'd like to cut up the amp as well as another amp, build a 2x12 cabinet and have each amp power one of the speakers. I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have experience chaining two smaller amps together? Via the inputs or the signal out on the back of the amp? Any advice? I'm not looking for a new amp all together because this is really producing the sound I want right now just not as loud as it needs to be.
they sell power amp and speaker setups specifically for what you want to do. your amp also has a 'signal out' jack on the back of it for specifically what you want to do.

this never works out this way, usually there is almost always some kinda hangup that keeps the solution from being simple.

my advice is not to 'cut up' any amps, just get something like a sansamp power engine and plug the 'signal out' from the randall into it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^This. 4,573 times easier, and does the same exact thing.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
What exactly is a sansamp? Is it sort of like that .44 magnum pedal/head? I really want to start my tone searching adventure, and I was thinking the whole cutting and blending of two amps would be a good start. Especially if they aren't worth much to anyone but me. But thanks for the advice and high five!
Quote by DanteGuzzardi
What exactly is a sansamp? Is it sort of like that .44 magnum pedal/head?

sansamp is a company that specializes in preamps, specifically they emulate other popular amplifiers.

that particular product i referenced is just a power amp and speaker though, it has no preamp at all. it is designed be a power amp for their (or anyones) preamp. you would just run your signal out directly into it and bam, your rg35 is louder.

http://tech21nyc.com/products/powerengine/powerengine60.html

i gave this advice because it seemed like all you wanted to do was make the rg35 louder.

Quote by DanteGuzzardi
I really want to start my tone searching adventure, and I was thinking the whole cutting and blending of two amps would be a good start. Especially if they aren't worth much to anyone but me.

if you want to use multiple amps you wouldn't really 'chain' them together. running two amps in series is a complicated and potentially damaging idea. usually chaining one amp into the other will not provide desired results.

if you want to safely run two different amps playing at the same time you would run them in parallel or in stereo. you would split the signal before it ever got to the amp with something like an A/B/Y box.

of course even running a stereo setup would not require 'cutting'. maybe i am misunderstanding what cutting means. do you mean to actually unhouse the amplifiers and remount them in bigger box together? i don't really see the purpose of doing that, i actually like to spatially separate my amplifiers when i ran a stereo setup in order to exaggerate the stereo effect.

-ae
The stereo concept is a neat idea. I didn't think about it that way, I was just thinking of one tone coming from one amp, but it just happens to be two amps. I guess I have to think a little harder about what I want out of this. But an A/B/Y box doesn't diminish the sound? Doesn't a Y cable split the sgnal and decrease it a little?
And the concept of cutting is mostly just for aesthetics. If it's going to be my amp it has to look like my amp doesn't it?
Quote by DanteGuzzardi
The stereo concept is a neat idea. I didn't think about it that way, I was just thinking of one tone coming from one amp, but it just happens to be two amps. I guess I have to think a little harder about what I want out of this. But an A/B/Y box doesn't diminish the sound? Doesn't a Y cable split the sgnal and decrease it a little?

i never noticed an issue with my A/B/Y, i ran a stereo (even 3 way) amp setup for a long time and never noticed a weak signal problem.

if you are really concerned you can get a buffered A/B/Y box

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/radial-engineering-bones-r800-7115-twin-city-a-b-y-footswitch

Quote by DanteGuzzardi
And the concept of cutting is mostly just for aesthetics. If it's going to be my amp it has to look like my amp doesn't it?

sure, it is something that can be done.

it can also get in the way though, like if you do want to do a stereo setup then if it is all in one box then you'd have a problem separating the speakers to create an effective stereo field. plus it's quite a bit of work remounting all of it, i just ran the amps in their original boxes.

-ae
i use A/B/Y quite a bit. i just use the radial engineering big shot ($60ish last time i checked) A/B/Y . never had a problem. works great. just not the features of the model gumbi pointed out.

they are very easy to build,althogh i rarely have time for that and i have three amps of mine that are awaiting the bench.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've got my head stuck in a cupboard and my brain hurts.

Just buy one decent amp, man. Seriously, what is all this bullshit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've got my head stuck in a cupboard and my brain hurts.

Just buy one decent amp, man. Seriously, what is all this bullshit?

This, I've tried some crazy things in my time, but trying to cut up two cheap SS amps and splice them together to somehow create a louder, more powerful, dual power amp/preamp whatever is kinda out there.

In theory it could work, but it'll most likely turn into a fireball and engulf your room in fire.