I started taking guitar lessons about a month ago but I can't tell if I'm wasting my time with this instructor. He started by having me memorize the Major scale which I appreciated. Then he showed me all the triad forms for Major, Minor, Diminished, Augmented which I also appreciated. I want to learn the Seventh chord forms just like the triad forms but he insists we learn intervals first. So, for now he has me memorizing the thirds then we will go to the fourths, fifths, sixths,....etc....

His emphasis is Jazz but I'm more of a blues and rock kind of guy. I can see how the intervals would be important for Jazz but are they important in general outside of Jazz? Do genres such as Metal, Rock, Blues make use of intervals? Does everyone who learns guitar learn intervals? In other words is it necessary to play music to know intervals?

My goal is just to write my own stuff not necessarily do covers, I think I can get Rocksmith for that. Any advice appreciated.
Quote by Afficionado1981
I started taking guitar lessons about a month ago but I can't tell if I'm wasting my time with this instructor. He started by having me memorize the Major scale which I appreciated. Then he showed me all the triad forms for Major, Minor, Diminished, Augmented which I also appreciated. I want to learn the Seventh chord forms just like the triad forms but he insists we learn intervals first. So, for now he has me memorizing the thirds then we will go to the fourths, fifths, sixths,....etc....

His emphasis is Jazz but I'm more of a blues and rock kind of guy. I can see how the intervals would be important for Jazz but are they important in general outside of Jazz? Do genres such as Metal, Rock, Blues make use of intervals? Does everyone who learns guitar learn intervals? In other words is it necessary to play music to know intervals?

My goal is just to write my own stuff not necessarily do covers, I think I can get Rocksmith for that. Any advice appreciated.

Play a note. Now play another note. That is what an interval is, the difference in pitch (highness or lowness) between any two notes. Music is literally just an assortment of intervals and rhythms.

If you want to make music of any kind, any genre or anything at all, you need to know intervals.

How could you learn about the major scale and the 4 triads without understanding intervals? If I were your teacher I would have taught you the concept of intervals before teaching you that stuff.
Last edited by macashmack at Feb 10, 2014,
It's not so much memorizing the names of them. You need to know the sounds of the intervals.

Well..the 7th is just a maj3 from the dominate (meaning 2 whole steps)
The the 5th is a minor their from the maj3. ( 1 1/2 steps)

The arpeggios flip back and forth between min3 and maj3rd intervals.

Major 1,3,5 . Two whole step from 1 to 3. One and half step from 3 to 5.

Minor 1,-3, 5. One and half step from the 1 to -3. Two whole steps from -3 to 5.

Im not going to confuse you anymore ...but if you know the intervalsm the rest of the
stuff is going make sense to you. You can solo on the fly or play off of different arpeggios.
Do death metal in a maj scale...if you want. It's the intervals between the notes that's
going to make different sounds.
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 9, 2014,
Intervals are about as basic to music as letters are to language. Literally every other single non-rhythmic musical concept involves intervals in some very important.
Learn the intervals man, they will help you getting to know the neck as well. You dont "need" to know about the theory behind them, but you are using them by ear already so why not just give names to faces.
Quote by macashmack
Play a note. Now play another note. That is what an interval is, the difference in pitch (highness or lowness) between any two notes. Music is literally just an assortment of intervals.

If you want to make music of any kind, any genre or anything at all, you need to know intervals.

How could you learn about the major scale and the 4 triads without understanding intervals? If I were your teacher I would have taught you the concept of intervals before teaching you that stuff.

In defence of his teacher it's pretty easy to learn the major scale before learning intervals. After all the interval names reference the major scale so it actually makes sense to learn the major scale first.
Si
I'd say your teacher is doing well. Intervals are the foundation of harmony in any genre. Start listening to him.
Quote by Afficionado1981

The answer to all of those question is a very large YES. The best musicians in any genre understand the concepts of intervals. Do you "need" it? No, but it sure as hell makes things easier.

Think of it this way...you could play a I-IV-V progression (or any other common rock progression) without understanding the intervallic relationships between them. But it all makes more sense, if you do understand those intervallic relationships. You learn the why, not just the how.
Sounds to me like your teacher is doing a good job.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.