just took out a million dollar life insurance policy on myself. yes, it covers accidental "im an idiot" death. this will be first time attempting to do any form of a mod to a high gain amp. ive messed with home and car audio amps in the past. im actually a pretty good solderer . that being said, seriously... can you actual die from touch a capacitor in the amps guts thats been un-plugged and powered off for a week? i just dont see how they could hold lethal does of amperage that hasnt been powered on for that long. anyways... i found a bias mod kit online. im sure most of you have heard of them. if any, what other parts do i need to complete a bias mod? i guess i will be ordering a bias probe from eurotubes. yes, i fully understand the dangers of messing with electricity. im an hvac tech. im also going by this guideline. any other pointers would greatly be appreciated

http://wisdomsguitar.com/peavey-5150-6505-bias-mod

http://grangeramp.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=438
That kit is made for internal adjustment. You would not be mounting a bias pot to your chassis like in your article.

That kit doesn't really need a bias probe. You can measure across the 1ohm resistor. Simple ohms law.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
yes, filter capacitors can kill. best advice is to put one hand in your pocket as much as you can. i also have a blog on biasing amps like mine and it is chock full of safety tips. there are tons of info out there on the 6505 bias mod. rig-talk has a real good one. haven't seen the one you posted yet.
Capacitors can kill. You can easily measure DC voltage across them- but until you have assume they are live and stay alert. Normally the capacitors have a resistor in parallel that will drain them but do not assume they are functioning or design in the amp.

The mod is fairly easy- you don't even have to pull the PCB the way they have you do it on that website.

To elaborate on what I stated earlier- if you measure 34mV across your 1 ohm resistor you have 34mA bias. It's a 1 for 1 ratio. If you measure 16mV across the resistor you have 16mA bias.

Are you going to use that kit you listed? You can always piece yours together and mount it to the chassis which would be easier for later service work. If you do that buy a current probe. The chassis mount one seems more professional.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Capacitors can kill. You can easily measure DC voltage across them- but until you have assume they are live and stay alert. Normally the capacitors have a resistor in parallel that will drain them but do not assume they are functioning or design in the amp.

The mod is fairly easy- you don't even have to pull the PCB the way they have you do it on that website.

To elaborate on what I stated earlier- if you measure 34mV across your 1 ohm resistor you have 34mA bias. It's a 1 for 1 ratio. If you measure 16mV across the resistor you have 16mA bias.

Are you going to use that kit you listed? You can always piece yours together and mount it to the chassis which would be easier for later service work. If you do that buy a current probe. The chassis mount one seems more professional.

i think a chassis mount would be best. are there any mod kits for chassis mount? i wanted to do this as simple as possible. especially with doing the mod from scratch. a lot of electrical parts and resistors are coming from china. long shipping wait time.
Where do you live?

Just piece it together. Under $10 in material.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Where do you live?

Just piece it together. Under $10 in material.

i live in atlanta