I bought a PRS SE Custom 24 a while ago, and I love it. The only problem is, it doesn't have single coils. My other guitar is a Squire Affinity Telecaster, and it does have single coils, but it sounds like a dying cat, to put it nicely. I'm looking for a guitar that has a few single coil pickups, but maybe a humbucker for some diversity. My budget is about $250-$400 or so. I don't really care whether it's new or used, as long as it's in good condition. I play mostly hard rock, Van Halen, Rush, Def Leppard, etc. I don't really want a tremolo. I currently use a Peavey Ultra 112 amp.
This Godin Empire might work for you. It comes in 2 forms, one with a pair of P90s, or like this one, a humbucker and a noiseless singlecoil:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EmpireRCr?device=t&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COb34u3wwLwCFXNp7Aod71EAkQ

Even better, the Godin Belmont, which is a HSS that usually goes for @$775- this site has a used one for $550.

http://slightlytouchedguitar.blogspot.com/2012/10/maritime-sws-sg-qi480.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 10, 2014,
If it is as you say a great guitar and you just want single coils you can get pickup adapters from Guitar Fetish that fit in humbucker slots.

They are like 4 bucks and let you put in P90s/ strat/tele single coils and probably some others I forgot. You could get a nice neck single coil and keep your bridge humbucker for less than half your budget. It would be like mashing the guitar you love with the sound you want

Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 10, 2014,
Or you put in a coil splitter, which is easily done by replacing one of your regular volume or tone pots with a push/pull switch (as long as you have 3 or 4 conductor wiring on your humbuckers). That, with a 3-way toggle, will give you access to 6 different sounds. It's the same type of switching system that PRS puts in their McCarty models, and I did that mod to my Standard 24.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Or you put in a coil splitter, which is easily done by replacing one of your regular volume or tone pots with a push/pull switch (as long as you have 3 or 4 conductor wiring on your humbuckers). That, with a 3-way toggle, will give you access to 6 different sounds. It's the same type of switching system that PRS puts in their McCarty models, and I did that mod to my Standard 24.

^^^^ what he said. and you would have 99% of your budget remaining lol
For that matter, he could put in a good HB-sized P90 in the neck.

But I get the feeling he's looking to upgrade from his Squier as opposed to modifying his PRS.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
For that matter, he could put in a good HB-sized P90 in the neck.

But I get the feeling he's looking to upgrade from his Squier as opposed to modifying his PRS.

Yeah, I'd prefer to upgrade from my Squire. I like my PRS as it is, although I hadn't thought of the coil-splitting, which sounds like a pretty good way to go.