Hi GG&A,
I've just moved apartments and my head/cab are too big/loud for my new place, and I'm tired of using Guitar Rig 5, it's just not the same playing with headphones all the time, so I'm looking for a small tube amp to practice on in my room.

My budget is around $500AUD, I'm looking for an 80's rock tone (Steel Panther, GnR, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue etc) although I play a lot of RHCP also (Froosh uses Marshalls though so it shouldn't be an issue) and occasionally some heavier stuff, but I have a Tubescreamer if a boost is required. I'm fine with new or used, but there's not much of a used market in Australia except for Marshall MGs, AVTs and Fender Frontman amps, the occasional AC30, that's about it. I live near Bondi in Sydney, if there's any used stuff around that I don't know about. I don't need to gig or anything, this is purely for bedroom practice and maybe the occasional jam session. Would prefer a combo as space is limited. Mp3 in/line out would be handy but not essential.

As far as current gear goes, I have a few different guitars I'll be using it with - Fender Stratocaster, Epiphone Explorer, Maton Mastersound and a Schecter Synyster Custom. I have a Tubescreamer, ISP Decimator, and quite a few other pedals do I don't need any effects built in, although reverb would be nice. A few amps I've looked at already include the Jet City 2-channel 20 watt combo and the Blackstar HT1R (I know about the 'OMG ITS NOT A REAL TUBE AMP' stuff... what happened? GG&A used to love Blackstar ), but would like some alternatives to look at also as neither one of them perfectly fits what I'm after.
Last edited by slickerthnsleek at Feb 10, 2014,
The Jet city is definitely comes to mind for me.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'm actually not a fan of two channel jcm800's but if you can get down to Melbourne or know somebody that can pick it up for you:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Early-80s-JCM-800-50-watts-Marshall-Amp-with-Marshall-foot-switch-/291069745570?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item43c51bd9a2

The price is right and it will do what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Keep reading, it was just power tubes.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by slickerthnsleek
(I know about the 'OMG ITS NOT A REAL TUBE AMP' stuff... what happened? GG&A used to love Blackstar )

I've been on here since Blackstar was ever a thing, and I don't remember GGnA ever liking them, let alone love them. Honestly curious about what you mean.

Anyway, Jet City is definitely the way to go, awesome value amps.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I know about the 'OMG ITS NOT A REAL TUBE AMP' stuff... what happened?

Don't ask. Unless you want this thread to turn into a "flogging a dead horse" thread.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I'd love a JCM800, it's one of my favourite amps ever, although I don't know anybody in Melbourne =[ I'll keep an eye on it though.

Yeah, I used to be pretty active on here but stopped coming on here back when the HT5 first came out and it was the big recommendation in just about every 'need a new home amp' thread. I had the HT-Dual pedal for a while and it was okay, offloaded it a few months ago though.
I totally recommend Jet City. The JCA22 should work nicely for you. I own a 20H, one of the earlier, single channel EL-84 heads, and I love it. It's been my go to amp for the last two years.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Offworld92
I've been on here since Blackstar was ever a thing, and I don't remember GGnA ever liking them, let alone love them. Honestly curious about what you mean.

Anyway, Jet City is definitely the way to go, awesome value amps.

+1 on both counts
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
JCA 22H, can't go wrong with it!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Can you even get a Jet City in Australia? I haven't seen one ever there.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Looks like the Jet City is the way to go then.

Blackfire - Turramurra Music have them, I think Belfield Music do too. They're hard to find but you can get them.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Looks like the Jet City is the way to go then.

Blackfire - Turramurra Music have them, I think Belfield Music do too. They're hard to find but you can get them.

Great, you should go try one out.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I'm going to try one out next week, I've just had the realisation that if I can afford the Jet City amp, that also puts me in the price range of the Marshall DSL15C. Now Turra seems to have both amps in stock so I'll go in and spend some time on both and see which I like, what's the opinion on the DSL15C? Anything I should know about, common problems etc?
The Jet City is way better IMO, but try both out and see which you like best
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, from videos I'm liking the tone of the Jet City better, the DSL15C seems like it gets a tad fizzy, but the ability to put it in half-power mode caught my attention.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Yeah, from videos I'm liking the tone of the Jet City better, the DSL15C seems like it gets a tad fizzy, but the ability to put it in half-power mode caught my attention.

You don't need 1/2 power switch, just a decent master volume. I can play a 100 watt 1/2 stack in an apartment just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You don't need 1/2 power switch, just a decent master volume. I can play a 100 watt 1/2 stack in an apartment just fine

+311,000
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly

yeah. those half power switches (and similar things) aren't really all that much use unless you have full-blown power scaling or VVR or something like that that lets you get down to whisper volume. And even then they're probably going to be more use on a non-master volume amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
1/2 power isn't for playing quietly, it's for getting more power amp distortion at high volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah exactly. even the things that let you down to 5 watts, or even 1, are still too loud for the vast majority of home practice situations. you need things which will get you down to a fraction of a watt to be any good for home practice, really.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?