Page 1 of 2
Have you ever listened to 20 minutes of guitar feed back and enjoyed it? I do all the time. Sometimes, I don't even know if I'm listening to a bass or a guitar, not only because it's tuned so low but also because it's so distorted that it sounds like a helicopter taking off inside of a jet engine.

True drone metal doesn't even have drums. It's just a guitarist and a bassist playing the same riff for 30 minutes. Have you ever listened to Earth 2? It's ****ing brilliant. It's borderline not even music. I'm pretty sure Sunn O))) doesn't even rehearse their stuff before recording it, and I'm ok with that. Even if they did rehearse it, it would be veritably impossible to remember it so as to recreate it. The only thing I don't like about Sunn O))) is when they have vocals because its not slow, detuned, or distorted enough and it ruins the mood.

What the **** is even wrong with me and why do I like this stuff. I just want to spend my years earnings on a huge Orange stack tune my guitar down to Z and play mindless blarbling distorted fart sounds so loud that I feel nauseous.

I feel like drone is zen. You can't think about the next thing to happen or you wont get it. You just have to listen to what's happening at that very moment and let it rumble through you gut and then forget about it the instant it's over.

Post your opinion of drone metal.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Dude

How high are you?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I wish I was high. I actually love smoking weed, but since I've been living in Japan I haven't touched it because it's really difficult to get / expensive / the laws are ridiculous if you get busted.

Honestly, when I lived in America and smoked 24/7 I didn't understand drone at all and I mocked people for liking it.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Feb 10, 2014,
Wait, Sunn O))))) isn't cool?

I say they are.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
oh man please don't show this to anvil is god ;_;

EDIT: or maybe he's actually heard of it already
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Drone is interesting. It's definitely something I appreciate more when I'm in an altered mental state. I get incredibly lost in my own thoughts when I "listen" to it.
Well, like I kind of mentioned, most Sunn O))) stuff isn't exactly my favorite. But their split with Boris is great. And their first two albums. I appreciate their tone more than their composition. Actually my favorite drone stuff is all by Boris. Feedbacker is the best ever.

I'm glad you posted that Melvins song though, because I always see them referenced as being pioneers of drone, but the albums I had heard were far from it. So The Maggot is their droney one? Any others?
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Feb 10, 2014,
I love Drone. Doesn't make you an idiot or anything. It's a very different way of experiencing sound though.

Most 'droney' Melvins song I would say is Boris (the song the band named themselves after). Most Melvins is just standard sludge though.

Really though, the best 'true drone metal' is Earth 2. I prefer the later Earth albums though, as they make a bridge between drone and melody. Pretty incredible.
Seriously, if you've never set up an absurdly over the top stack, tuned to drop A, rocked all your fuzz and just shaken the building's foundations while you go between three power chords, you're not a real guitar player.
Quote by vilk
Well, like I kind of mentioned, most Sunn O))) stuff isn't exactly my favorite. But their split with Boris is great. And their first two albums. I appreciate their tone more than their composition. Actually my favorite drone stuff is all by Boris. Feedbacker is the best ever.

I'm glad you posted that Melvins song though, because I always see them referenced as being pioneers of drone, but the albums I had heard were far from it. So The Maggot is their droney one? Any others?

like half of the maggot is kinda fast, the other half is slower paced but idk if id call it droney. that song (maybe manky and the second half of amazon) is the only really droney songs on it.

i guess if i had to single out the most droney album, it would be either bullhead or lysol. more so lysol, but bullhead has the song boris in it so theres that. they usually have at least two or three drone songs per album though. houdini and stoner witch have some good ones on them
I'm not big on metal, so i never really took a chance with drone metal until a few months ago when I listened to a Sunn O))) album, and surprisingly, I loved every second of it. I don't understand why I did, but I loved it so much
drone can be pretty awesome

its really fun to play if youre high too
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
drone can be pretty awesome

its really fun to play if youre high too

Yes and yes.
Quote by Lost Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HhSS1hUUjQ

Great drone cover of sometimes by My Bloody Valentine

This is actually really really good.

I can get really into drone in a live setting, otherwise it's not something I really listen to myself at home or on my ipod. When I saw Godspeed! they would go off into the most ridiculously abrasive and unsettling shitstorm of noise and then settle into a tranquil drone, and the way they handled the dynamics made the short intervals of quiet and silence absolutely beautiful. Otherwise, it was pretty terrifying.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
oh man please don't show this to anvil is god ;_;

EDIT: or maybe he's actually heard of it already

It's good of you to protect your friends
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Lost Dog

Great drone cover of sometimes by My Bloody Valentine

Not bad at all. I really enjoy Boris, because they don't focus so much on being "WOW THIS IS INTENSE", but really just making a cool sound
First I have heard of drone metal....
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by soundgarden1986
like half of the maggot is kinda fast, the other half is slower paced but idk if id call it droney.

I feel like the term can apply to stuff that is mindlessly repetitive stoner metal type stuff--take for example Dopesmoker by Sleep. It's veritably as impossible to keep track of the riffs going on there, even though it isn't lone guitar chords being strung out for rhythmless measures on end, it still has to be listened to in a similar way to a drone track--that is, if you're sitting around waiting for the next 'part' you're going to drive yourself crazy and turn it off, but if you just chill and flow with it you really zone out and absorb it all.
Listen. I'm sorry.
THIS THREAD

First of all, there is no "true drone metal". And Sunn do rehearse. A lot. And they're well within counting as "music". Now, check out dronemuzak.tumblr.com cause I run that and it's awesome. and check out...

Barn Owl, Monarch!, Headdress (Lunes), Merzbow's Vibratance and Amlux, Swans' The Seer, Arnold Dreyblatt, La Monte Young, Hintergrund, Elu Of The Nine, Wicked King Wicker (not strictly drone, but sometimes), Asva, Horsebreaker, Bong, Master Musicians of Bukkake, The Goslings. Should get you started. Enjoy.

Oh, and if you want an album better than Earth 2, Fulci's Dead Lights|Red Skies is probably the best album I've found in the style.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by Banjocal
Master Musicians of Bukkake

Should get you started. Enjoy.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
To me drone is the metal version of ambient music. And I love metal and ambient music.
Stahp it
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I'm not that huge on drone but can I give you a related recommendation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKwzbHtV4QQ

I really like that EP, there's another tune called Land too which I don't like as much and is a bit darker. If you have 50 minutes spare it's a great use of your ears.

Also Clark did a remix of Sea which is shorter and closer to the sort of music I make:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp1Yn_qH9SA
Quote by BenRaah
I saw Sunn O))) live and it was incredible

Also if you want zen ideas + music then Cage is your man
What are your thoughts on The Well Tuned Piano? I feel it's longer than necessary and people like Dreyblatt and Palestine did the overtone experimentations better...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
What are your thoughts on The Well Tuned Piano? I feel it's longer than necessary and people like Dreyblatt and Palestine did the overtone experimentations better...

Due to the nature and scope of the piece I think the 'length' (it doesn't really have a length per se) of any one performance is not pertinent. It's not an easy listen of course, but the various thematic and chordal areas and sub areas are imbued with so much meaning (the relationships between them, the references to the history of western classical music, the development and elaboration of these areas in accordance with both his system of tuning and his personal and spiritual life), that much of what constitutes the real thrust of the piece is not immediately apprehensible just from listening to a recording. Studying the piece (I wrote an essay on it last semester) definitely brings to light many factors that not only change how the piece seems metaphysically, but also have a great effect on the listening experience.

So from a certain perspective I think your criticism is valid, but to approach the piece from that perspective (if i have understood you correctly) is, in my view, to miss the point a little. Obviously that's just my opinion though (duh).

I can recommend reading Kyle Gann's analysis of the piece, plus Young's liner notes for the Gramavision release if you can get hold of them. Gann's analysis really goes into the details of the tuning and makes you aware of lots of harmonic subtleties in both the macro and micro structure that are far too easy to miss. There are also a few interviews with Young and Marian Zazeela around that shed a lot of light on the things i mentioned briefly here.

Young is a total boss though
Could I read that essay? I still favour Palestine over all others in this area of study, but LMY is a favourite nonetheless.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Thanks. I enjoy TWTP, but it doesn't grip me in the same way his works with TTOEM/TDS do, or indeed, his slow development Drift Studies, which I adore. It feels lacking and while tonally it catches me, it doesn't entice the awe stuff like strumming music does. I've been looking for more writings on these things, though. Asides from brief mentions in books like Noise/Music, drone doesn't seem to get too much of a showing. Though the documentary on Eliane Radigue is good.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
^One of their best works. You may like ORE and Rhys Chatham's A Crimson Grail (his other works have a tendency to move towards cheap prog rock played by 50 guitars). The recent collab with Ulver is also great.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Drone is pretty damn good at times. There's just something sexy-sounding about heavy as ****, low as **** notes dragging and dragging on. That was one of the things that got me into doom.

Also this:
Quote by azrael667
To me drone is the metal version of ambient music.

It's good stuff to put in the background
I have nothing important to say
Quote by vilk
I wish I was high. I actually love smoking weed, but since I've been living in Japan I haven't touched it because it's really difficult to get / expensive / the laws are ridiculous if you get busted.

Honestly, when I lived in America and smoked 24/7 I didn't understand drone at all and I mocked people for liking it.
Stop eating those weird Japanese shrooms.
Page 1 of 2