Been polishing my head stock and over the years i have noticed the paint wear which i think is black satin its used on the neck and the headstock of the guitar, its like very shiny in places like patches , I was thinking how easy would it be to re paint or spray it , it has a logo to and i don't want to paint over that so not sure if that would be possible ?
So, you've basically just buffed a satin-painted guitar to a polished finish?

You should be able to scuff it back to satin by using some #0000 steel wool. Obviously try it on a tiny patch first and be careful.

Edit: You might need to wax and buff afterwards.
Quote by -MintSauce-
So, you've basically just buffed a satin-painted guitar to a polished finish?

You should be able to scuff it back to satin by using some #0000 steel wool. Obviously try it on a tiny patch first and be careful.

Edit: You might need to wax and buff afterwards.
you could say i have yes it looks polished or glossy its lost that dull black look it had which i liked . its very shiny and with that it picks up a lot what i can tell as thin scratch marks . I would love to get it back to how it was .
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by dazzzer30
you could say i have yes it looks polished or glossy its lost that dull black look it had which i liked . its very shiny and with that it picks up a lot what i can tell as thin scratch marks . I would love to get it back to how it was .

I did give you a solution in my first reply
Quote by -MintSauce-
I did give you a solution in my first reply
yep i was a bit scared to use a steel wool on my guitar are you sure that it wont take more paint off the guitar?
Quote by dazzzer30
yep i was a bit scared to use a steel wool on my guitar are you sure that it wont take more paint off the guitar?

As long as you use the super-fine #0000 grade, it should be fine. You actually want to take a tiny, tiny bit of finish off, because you need to scuff the surface - having an uneven surface is what gives the satin look, versus shiny and polished if it's perfectly even. The key is to use the finest wool and buff gently.

If you're really worried, take a really small piece of steel wool and try it on either a hidden patch of your guitar or something else that's painted and is scrap.

Also, make sure you don't get steel wool debris anywhere near the pickups or controls.

It's not going to get you back to the exact finish you had before, which is a bummer. Just decide for yourself whether you want to risk it or just stick with what you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzI-fZbvtI