What do you think? Hard rock/Metal player.
Gears in SIG minus few pedals and axes.
Will it work better than my 70/80's?
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Most things are better than 70/80s
Personally, I don't enjoy the sound of the tonker when overdriven. I don't think it's really made for that kind of hard music. Eminence do sell the monster metal kit which is 2x Texas Heats and 2x Swamp things. Although you have a 2x12, point is they pair up really well for that kind of thing. I think a few people here have used that combo and found it fantastic (can't remember who).
Here's a demo I though was very good if this is what you're going for.
Texas Heat left, Swamp Thang right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCtmUm4A0r8
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Personally, I don't enjoy the sound of the tonker when overdriven. I don't think it's really made for that kind of hard music. Eminence do sell the monster metal kit which is 2x Texas Heats and 2x Swamp things. Although you have a 2x12, point is they pair up really well for that kind of thing. I think a few people here have used that combo and found it fantastic (can't remember who).
Here's a demo I though was very good if this is what you're going for.
Texas Heat left, Swamp Thang right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCtmUm4A0r8

thats a very solid tone! wonder if the texas heat/swamp thing combo can out do a v30/k100 mix?
I've got a TH/ST in my 2x12. Love it. From the reasearch I did, the Tonker is really hit or miss for people. Based on the fact that you play hard rock/metal, I'd go for the TH/ST. But that's just my slightly biased opinion.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Tonker is my only option besides
keeping the 70/80's which I don't like
just figured the tonk/swamp combo has
to be better and the tonk will be easier to
swap when I track down another more
suitable eminence.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I've never tried the Tonker but I have Swamp Thangs/Governors (V30 clone) crossed in my Crate cab. That combo is incredible.

I had had a Governor for a long time before I converted my 6505+ 112 into a head, and wanted a little more low-end in a larger cab. I was a little worried the Swamp Thangs might have too much low-end/muddiness -- but all my concerns vaporized in a wall of br00tality. The STs are anything but muddy. They just have this thick, tight CHUNK to them that hits you in the gut HARD when palm-muting low chords. They still maintain a ton of harmonic detail as well. The Governors compliment them nicely, as they add some upper-mid grind to the tone. I wouldn't be surprised if a cab running ALL Swamp Thangs sounded great. Definitely my favorite speaker.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by RJH11
The Tonker is my only option besides
keeping the 70/80's which I don't like
just figured the tonk/swamp combo has
to be better and the tonk will be easier to
swap when I track down another more
suitable eminence.

Why are those your only options?
If so, two swamp thangs should fit the bill
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

+1

I haven't tried the tonker

the swamp thang is very chunky and neutral- (almost sterile-) sounding (while also being american-sounding, if that makes sense).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Swapping the 70/80's for the Tonker because
I'm on a tight budget as in no extra cash and I
all ready have the Swamp Thang acquired from
previous trades just sitting. So just seeing what
others thought. Gotta be better than 70/80's.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
Swapping the 70/80's for the Tonker because
I'm on a tight budget as in no extra cash and I
all ready have the Swamp Thang acquired from
previous trades just sitting. So just seeing what
others thought. Gotta be better than 70/80's.

I understand. Yeah, go for the tonker then. if you like it, fantastic. If you don't like it then you will have something worth more than a 70/80 which you could boot later
My plan exactly^
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals