Looking at various different guitars to suit my metal needs and one that caught my eye was the Ibanez RG7321. It's cheap, but I love the way Ibanez guitars feel.

My question is, would it be sacrilege to say, throw on a set of BK Warpigs? At that point the pups would literately cost more than the guitar.

For the price of that I could get an LTD MH-1007, but I'm not quite as comfortable with the rounded body. (Also, while I don't hate EMG's, I'm not sure I'd want them unless I had the money to get however many guitars I needed.)

Thoughts?
These days, the price of the guitar doesn't necessarily determine its quality or (more importantly) its suitablity to what you're doing. If you're doing a lot of high gain stuff, the type of wood in the guitar (for example) is a subtlety that's likely to matter little in your overall sound.
Well yeah, as much as I'm a believer in wood effecting tone, wood is wood. I'm more concerned about overall build quality. Nut, bridge ect.

I wouldn't want to "waste" good pickups.
Quote by ShinyChocobo
Well yeah, as much as I'm a believer in wood effecting tone, wood is wood. I'm more concerned about overall build quality. Nut, bridge ect.

I wouldn't want to "waste" good pickups.

Build quality will differer from model to model, a badly cut nut or poor fret work can make the best guitar unplayable. Personally I wouldn't avoid putting pickups into a guitar solely because it was too cheap, if I liked it enough why not?

Besides you can always change out the pickups.
Ive got a cheap schecter omen which I got in a sale, and i've put a bare knuckle cold sweat in the bridge and its absolutely one of my favourite guitars. Covers way more ground than my schecter with EMGs and I don't mind using it as much as a live work horse. There is some lack in sustain compared to other guitars I own but it's a worth while trade off.
If you're a tone freak, don't care too much about aesthetics or brand names or just find a guitar you like the simplicity of, and have a worthy tube amp, then i'd say go down this route, you'll definitely get the best tone to value.
I'll be upgrading the pickups in my 11 year old, $500 Dean Special Select EVO this year. There is nothing wrong with the guitar except the pickups. I have axes 6x its price that don't hold tune any better than it does, and it feels good. So its worth it to me to upgrade its sound.

Besides, any pickups you put into it, you can take out and put into another "better" guitar down the road, if you want to.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There is no harm in getting a cheap guitar if you like its quality, feel, and playability. You can replace the pickups and keep the stock. That way, you can sell the them later if you change your mind.
Quote by ShinyChocobo
Looking at various different guitars to suit my metal needs and one that caught my eye was the Ibanez RG7321. It's cheap, but I love the way Ibanez guitars feel.

1. My question is, would it be sacrilege to say, throw on a set of BK Warpigs? At that point the pups would literately cost more than the guitar.

2. For the price of that I could get an LTD MH-1007, but I'm not quite as comfortable with the rounded body. (Also, while I don't hate EMG's, I'm not sure I'd want them unless I had the money to get however many guitars I needed.)

Thoughts?

1. Do it!

2. Maybe later.

My inexpensive Squier '51 has Motor City Afwayu (HB) and Motor Alnico V (SC) PUs.
Quote by royc
There is no harm in getting a cheap guitar if you like its quality, feel, and playability. You can replace the pickups and keep the stock. That way, you can sell the them later if you change your mind.

Pretty much this.

Playing comfort is, IMHO, the most important thing on a guitar. You'll spend hours without end playing it, so it's best to go for a guitar that feels like an old pair of sneakers. Even if you (hypothetically) have to somewhat sacrifice tone.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112