I don't want any of that guitar pro 6 blasphemy !

Please let me know if we can still buy gp5 or download
it with our license.

Thanks to anyone in the know
What's wrong with Guitar Pro 6 in your opinion?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
No sevenstring support, drums are not what I am used to. Anyway, can I get a real
answer to this simple question ?
I hated gp6 the first time I tried it, but there is no way Im going back to gp5 now that i have gotten used to it (gp6).

Can't really answer your question though.

and this
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Last edited by podT at Feb 10, 2014,
I was just gonna say: GP6 supports seven strings...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by MTL-HC
I don't want any of that guitar pro 6 blasphemy !

Please let me know if we can still buy gp5 or download
it with our license.

Thanks to anyone in the know

No, not unless you get it from someone who has a legit license.

Or learn to use 6, which is a superior product. I own both, on 2 different computers.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Just get GP6 and learn how to use it. There is a bit of a learning curve coming from GP5, but it is a superior product (and definitely has 7 string support). The drum setup isn't bad either.

I've also had compatibility problems with GP5 on new operating systems (both mac and windows).

If you really really really want GP5 than you'll probably have to look at less than legal methods of obtaining it.
But seriously, just get GP6.
RIP Gooze

cats
I've contacted support asking this, and they said you cannot buy it. I bought Guitar Pro 6 and love it, but prefer Guitar Pro 5 for different reasons. I do love all the hotkeys in GP6 though, but I prefer the RSE Soundbanks in GP5 for the mostpart.
Quote by lemurflames
I was just gonna say: GP6 supports seven strings...

Also, am I missing something here, because GP5 definitely supports seven strings..

Quote by Sibilith
Also, am I missing something here, because GP5 definitely supports seven strings..

You are missing it. The TS said GP6 doesn't have Seven String support. That guy replied to him saying 6 does in fact have seven string support.

I really love GP6. I think it's much faster to write.
Quote by Sibilith

I'm not at my home computer (where GP6 is installed) so I can't get a seven string screen shot, but this is what that same function looks like on GP6.

Not sure if that's what you're confused about, but there it is.

I'll agree that the drums aren't quite as flexible in GP6 as they were in GP5. I especially hate that in GP6 I can't change the dynamics for individual notes (which was a huge help for drums in GP5).

As far as getting a legit copy of GP5, as Arby911 has already said, you need to get it from someone who already has a legit copy. And if you don't already have your own, you'll have to use their User ID and Key number to unlock the RSE (if I'm remembering that correctly).
Last edited by GunMetal125 at Feb 11, 2014,
Why on earth would you want GP5? It sounds like dogshit. I have been using GP6 for a couple years, and I have not been able to find a single thing in it I cannot do for writing. I don't understand the GP5 circlejerk at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would advise just buy GP6 and learn it.

There are things I definitely wish they had left the same in 6 as they had in 5:

The drum programming in 5 I had learned completely and could tab out what was in my head very quickly, unfortunately they completely removed this for 6 and replaced it with a far inferior (IMO) mechanic for typing drums. There isn't nearly as many actual drums to choose from, and you have to click on each one when you want it rather than typing a number, so it is much slower.

I don't like how, in general, they have tried to make it like a DAW. I can't imagine using GP6 without prior knowledge of GP5 or Pro Tools for example. You really need to go into each track and adjust it to make it sound right, which isn't a feature I find useful in Guitar Pro. I use it to tab out ideas for songs, not to make anything resembling a finished-sounding track. In GP5 you tab out the track, and it plays it to you in MIDI. In GP6, you need to learn how to tweak each instrument to make it not sound like wank.

All that said though, having used GP6 solidly for over a year I do prefer it to 5 as a whole, however it is far more time consuming and not nearly as efficient.
Quote by Offworld92
Why on earth would you want GP5? It sounds like dogshit. I have been using GP6 for a couple years, and I have not been able to find a single thing in it I cannot do for writing. I don't understand the GP5 circlejerk at all.

The RSE's in both are god awful sounding. It's best to just write listen in midi, than to waste time fiddling around with the sound settings. That's one of the reasons I prefer GP5. I haven't used GP6 since it was still a new thing, so I don't quite remember, but I feel like all of the functions of trying to make it sound better (less) crap were more in your face and in the way as functions that I don't want to use. It's not a DAW. I'm not using its sounds in my final product. There's no reason for me to waste time trying to mix and tweak it, IMO. Also, and again, I could be remembering wrong, but I found the GUI less user friendly and efficient, drum tabbing substantially more difficult (I believe it forces you into standard notation, which was already a feature in GP5. Maybe it's more proper, but I type out drums in GP5's style very quickly and efficiently now. Why take away features?) as well as other non-guitar instruments (I believe it forced you into standard notation for these instruments as well, when it was already an option before, so why take away the tab feature?). So basically, it took away features that I use, and filled up the GUI with cluttery ugly crap. I'm using the program for very simple straight forward things. I want a simple straightforward interface. Save the cluttery crap with limitless options for my DAWs where it's actually needed.

EDIT: Also, again I could be misremembering because I used it for all of a few days nearly four years ago, but I seem to recall that you are unable to change instruments on a track. Lame.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Feb 11, 2014,
I had the GP5 hacked version , then I bought the GB6 legitly because I was using Guitar Pro alot and I tought it was a good thing to buy . I also prefer by FAR ! GP5 ...

When you buy the liscence it would be nice to be able to download previous version ...
I really dont understand why they do not offer previous version on their website .

I will sent them a e-mail to ask them to put older version too on the website . Maybe if we are a couple to do that they will do it !
Quote by GunMetal125
I'll agree that the drums aren't quite as flexible in GP6 as they were in GP5. I especially hate that in GP6 I can't change the dynamics for individual notes (which was a huge help for drums in GP5).

I will admit that this is definitely an annoyance. I don't know why they removed it.
Whilst there are some things that I don't like about the drum programming in gp6, the ability to have half open hi hats is definitely a plus.

And to those complaining about the RSE of gp6, and stating that they used midi in gp5, you do realise that you can use midi in gp6 too right?

Quote by Macabre_Turtle
as well as other non-guitar instruments (I believe it forced you into standard notation for these instruments as well, when it was already an option before, so why take away the tab feature?).

If you use midi, than this isn't a problem. You can just use guitar tracks, and than change the midi instruments to anything. It has all the same ones as GP5.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by GunMetal125
in GP6 I can't change the dynamics for individual notes

And I aaaaalmost considered trying GP6 again until I read this.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
And I aaaaalmost considered trying GP6 again until I read this.

It's not true. You can change the dynamics from ppp to fff on any note.

Quote by Macabre_Turtle
The RSE's in both are god awful sounding. It's best to just write listen in midi, than to waste time fiddling around with the sound settings. That's one of the reasons I prefer GP5. I haven't used GP6 since it was still a new thing, so I don't quite remember, but I feel like all of the functions of trying to make it sound better (less) crap were more in your face and in the way as functions that I don't want to use. It's not a DAW. I'm not using its sounds in my final product. There's no reason for me to waste time trying to mix and tweak it, IMO. Also, and again, I could be remembering wrong, but I found the GUI less user friendly and efficient, drum tabbing substantially more difficult (I believe it forces you into standard notation, which was already a feature in GP5. Maybe it's more proper, but I type out drums in GP5's style very quickly and efficiently now. Why take away features?) as well as other non-guitar instruments (I believe it forced you into standard notation for these instruments as well, when it was already an option before, so why take away the tab feature?). So basically, it took away features that I use, and filled up the GUI with cluttery ugly crap. I'm using the program for very simple straight forward things. I want a simple straightforward interface. Save the cluttery crap with limitless options for my DAWs where it's actually needed.

EDIT: Also, again I could be misremembering because I used it for all of a few days nearly four years ago, but I seem to recall that you are unable to change instruments on a track. Lame.

That is one way to look at it, which I disagree with. I look at it as, "this tab program sounds pretty good for what it is". I use GP to practice along with, and having a song programmed that sounds somewhat like what it would actually sound like is very helpful for that.

I simply completely disagree with your opinion on the sound. What is the point of listening to the MIDI sound instead of a modeled sound? In what way is that better?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

I simply completely disagree with your opinion on the sound. What is the point of listening to the MIDI sound instead of a modeled sound? In what way is that better?

1) The modeled sounds will always sound like shit. With midi, sure it sounds, as some people would put it, like a retro video game, but retro video games sounded good, and the midi almost guarantees that I'll be able to accurately hear every instrument with little to no fiddling around. Midi sound basically mixes itself, with not having each instrument battle for the appropriate frequency ranges.
2) Modeled sound is a waste of computing power that doesn't create a decent sound anyway.

Basically, when it comes to using Guitar Pro, whether for purposes of writing or learning a song, IMO, my ability to accurately and distinctly hear each and every note > the programs ability to emulate the final sound. Midi ensures I hear every note clearly. I'm trying to focus on composing, not mixing and tweaking things. RSE only takes away from my ability to do that, and will never manage to give me good sounding results anyway. In conclusion it's a waste of computing power that destracts from my goals more than it helps them, so I don't want to bother with the version of the program that decided to fix what wasn't broken by making the modelling a bigger in your face deal.

That's just me of course, but I truly honestly see not a single benefit to RSE.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
1) The modeled sounds will always sound like shit. With midi, sure it sounds, as some people would put it, like a retro video game, but retro video games sounded good, and the midi almost guarantees that I'll be able to accurately hear every instrument with little to no fiddling around. Midi sound basically mixes itself, with not having each instrument battle for the appropriate frequency ranges.
2) Modeled sound is a waste of computing power that doesn't create a decent sound anyway.

Basically, when it comes to using Guitar Pro, whether for purposes of writing or learning a song, IMO, my ability to accurately and distinctly hear each and every note > the programs ability to emulate the final sound. Midi ensures I hear every note clearly. I'm trying to focus on composing, not mixing and tweaking things. RSE only takes away from my ability to do that, and will never manage to give me good sounding results anyway. In conclusion it's a waste of computing power that destracts from my goals more than it helps them, so I don't want to bother with the version of the program that decided to fix what wasn't broken by making the modelling a bigger in your face deal.

That's just me of course, but I truly honestly see not a single benefit to RSE.

Ummm.....Huh?

If that's the criteria, you're only listening to a single track anyway, right?

If you're truly 'focused on composing' and not just throwing up excuses why you don't want to learn the software you should be using Sibelius or the like anyway. It appears you want $600 worth of results from $60 worth of software?

I use GP as a practice tool and to quickly tab things out in the middle of sessions, worrying about the 'quality' of RSE is a waste of time and if you're running short of processor power it's time for an upgrade, since my brutally old Panasonic Toughbook runs it just fine, and it's been obsolete for a decade...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Ummm.....Huh?

If that's the criteria, you're only listening to a single track anyway, right?

If you're truly 'focused on composing' and not just throwing up excuses why you don't want to learn the software you should be using Sibelius or the like anyway. It appears you want $600 worth of results from $60 worth of software?

I use GP as a practice tool and to quickly tab things out in the middle of sessions, worrying about the 'quality' of RSE is a waste of time and if you're running short of processor power it's time for an upgrade, since my brutally old Panasonic Toughbook runs it just fine, and it's been obsolete for a decade...

I'm never listening to a single track. And Sibelius is awful for guitar based music. And where did anything imply that I want $600 worth of results? All I want is a Guitar Pro 5 level of results. I want to type my tabs/notation into a clean interface, and have it played back to me. What the hell are you on about?

And my 3.8ghz quadcore processor has no problems handling whatever I throw at it, thank you. Doesn't mean it's not a waste of resources. It's a very small waste of resources, but a waste none the less.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I'm never listening to a single track. And Sibelius is awful for guitar based music. And where did anything imply that I want $600 worth of results? All I want is a Guitar Pro 5 level of results. I want to type my tabs/notation into a clean interface, and have it played back to me. What the hell are you on about?

And my 3.8ghz quadcore processor has no problems handling whatever I throw at it, thank you. Doesn't mean it's not a waste of resources. It's a very small waste of resources, but a waste none the less.

The contradictions and incidentals in what you've posted are amazing, but if you're happy, i'm happy...

Given your claimed needs, you should try TuxGuitar. Simple, uncluttered and has the added benefit of being free.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
The contradictions and incidentals in what you've posted are amazing, but if you're happy, i'm happy...

Given your claimed needs, you should try TuxGuitar. Simple, uncluttered and has the added benefit of being free.

There are no contradictions in what I've said.

Also, I've tried TuxGuitar. It's been years, so I don't quite recall the experience, but I didn't like it. I already have Guitar Pro 5, so being free doesn't exactly help me.
Quote by Offworld92
It's not true. You can change the dynamics from ppp to fff on any note.

Sure you can change the dynamics for each beat and and all of the beat divisions, but not for individual notes in a beat.

Picture the drum score. If I have a bass drum, snare drum and high hat in a single beat, and I want the high hat to be p, the snare to be f, and the bass drum to be ff, then I'm s.o.l. in GP6. The best you can do is choose a dynamic and then either ghost or accent the individual notes. But even that's more of a work-around than a fix, and it doesn't allow for very much control.

That being said, each program has it's merits and drawbacks. I have two tabs submitted on this site, one using GP5 and the other using GP6. I can't say I favor one over the other, but it sure would have been nice to not need both to get the results I want.
Quote by GunMetal125
Sure you can change the dynamics for each beat and and all of the beat divisions, but not for individual notes in a beat.

Picture the drum score. If I have a bass drum, snare drum and high hat in a single beat, and I want the high hat to be p, the snare to be f, and the bass drum to be ff, then I'm s.o.l. in GP6. The best you can do is choose a dynamic and then either ghost or accent the individual notes. But even that's more of a work-around than a fix, and it doesn't allow for very much control.

That being said, each program has it's merits and drawbacks. I have two tabs submitted on this site, one using GP5 and the other using GP6. I can't say I favor one over the other, but it sure would have been nice to not need both to get the results I want.

Each instrument in GP6 can have 4 different voices (like 4 different versions of the instrument that you hear simultaneously). So you can have 4 different dynamics per beat. You view each voice individually to work on each dynamic that you want, and then you can view them all at once in "MultiVoice" mode. When you're looking at the GP6 interface, the voice controls are right at the bottom left of the tab window, above the instruments, the the left of the Play/Stop etc. controls.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Each instrument in GP6 can have 4 different voices (like 4 different versions of the instrument that you hear simultaneously). So you can have 4 different dynamics per beat. You view each voice individually to work on each dynamic that you want, and then you can view them all at once in "MultiVoice" mode. When you're looking at the GP6 interface, the voice controls are right at the bottom left of the tab window, above the instruments, the the left of the Play/Stop etc. controls.

I retract my criticism. Thank you for this amazing revelation! I guess my only other big complaint is that the taiko drums in GP6 aren't nearly as baddass.
You can't spell 'Whiskey' without 'yes'.
6 absolutely destroys 5 I can't wait to see what 7 will look like.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I will say, I've been struggling to enjoy GP6 for MANY reason, one of them being unable to change individual notes dynamics on a single beat, but now someone just mentioned the voicing controls (which I have never even noticed before) and that definitely made me not hate GP6 as much.  BUT, that's quite a bit of clicking to achieve the same result compared to GP5 where you simply just adjust the dynamic for the individual highlighted note. Something to get used to.

I will agree though, the method of inputting drum notes are far less appealing in GP6 compared to GP5 because they removed the ability to use the number. 36 is KD, 40 is SN. I would FLY across the drum track with that method. It was so easy and didn't detract from the vibe when composing like GP6 does currently with their new input method.

I too am looking for a legit copy of GP5, or at least GP7 to bring back many of the great features they took away in GP6. I wrote up a huge list of things they made worse in GP6 on their feedback forum... maybe I can find it and share.

I strongly dislike how they made the fretboard toggle-able. Now no matter where I place it, it's always blocking something, which is VERY annoying. When you are playing back the composition, the currently playing notes are always centered on the page which is great for playing along, but with your toggle-able fretboard, I can never find a suitable position for it to not get in the way of what I'm looking at, unless I want it to block another part of the screen that I would rather not block. Ugh.
Last edited by vunsunta at Mar 31, 2017,