Hello,

I'm trying to get back into recording and have fallen a little behind on what to look for in a recording computer. I'm just doing home recording and most likely just one track at a time.
I really want something that can handle a ton of vst-s and vsti-s at the same time.

I'm looking for a laptop with decent enough specs to run a ton of vst-s at the same time. I just don't know what I should really aim for.

Processor speed?
Ram speed/size?
Hard drive speed?

If someone could guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

My budget is $900
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Ram and HDD speed will affect your loading speed, but may not have dramatic effect on performance, while the processor is the major aspect real-time performance wise. As for RAM size, the bigger the better, but I don't think there would be a need to go over 8GB. With that budget you could buy something pretty sweet. Pick something with a quad-core processor, and at least 4GB of RAM DDR3, though you probably can afford something with higher specs. Also, is it necessary for it to be a laptop? Cause with a desktop you're definitely getting more bang per buck. A thing to consider is that working with a bunch of tracks and plugins can get pretty cluttered on a small 15.6" monitor, so I recommend you spend 700$ on a desktop PC and 200$ on a nice, big screen.
For vst's ram is super important. I regret only having 4gbs in my laptop. I'd get 8gb minimum (preferably 16gb) if you use a lot of virtual instruments. If it's more vst effects, than 4gb might suffice. I'd aim for 1600MHz for RAM speed. No point really going faster than that imo.

Lack of ram has been a bigger impediment than lack of cpu speed for me (although that's also a problem (I have an old 2ghz core2duo)).

I wouldn't get a solid-state drive purely because it'll fill up fast with recordings. A 7200rpm drive with plenty of storage will do you fine.

For cpu, I'd aim for a decent intel i5 or i7. Probably i5 on your budget. 2.4ghz probably, but the more the better. I don't know what's around for laptops these days. Ideally you'd want quad core, but for a laptop it'll probs be dual core.
I've no experience with amd processors.

I don't know US laptop prices, so bear that in mind.

If it's purely for recording you can just use integrated graphics, rather than spending extra on a dedicated GPU.
RIP Gooze

cats