So I'm gonna need an interface to record my guitar on my ipad, but not sure what to get... ideally I'd like to spend >$50, but i know you get what ya pay for, so i'm willing to go to $100 if it's really worth it. Can anyone make some rec's and give some solid reasons why your rec is better than some of the other options?
Quote by guitgrinder
So I'm gonna need an interface to record my guitar on my ipad, but not sure what to get... ideally I'd like to spend >$50, but i know you get what ya pay for, so i'm willing to go to $100 if it's really worth it. Can anyone make some rec's and give some solid reasons why your rec is better than some of the other options?

>$50 means "more than $50". i will assume you mean "less than $50".

well there are two basic types of interfaces for ipad:

1) sends analog signal to ipad through the audio jack, these were the first gen of interfaces for ipad to come out. this is like an iRig, there are many out there. this is the cheaper option, the quality will be the tied up in the preamp the device uses, the A/D conversion will be handled by the ipad

2) busses a digital signal to the ipad. this is the next gen of devices for ipad intefaces. the Line 6 sonic port is one example of this technology. these are more expensive because they provide a preamp and A/D conversion.

i can't really provide any particular advice on one brand or another, but if you are serious about using your ipad then i'd get one of the newer gen style interfaces. if you just want something convenient to play with (like playing along with songs or practicing by yourself) than an iRig should be just fine for you.

an iRig comes in under 50 bucks, it is an alright piece of equipment.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 10, 2014,
yea I meant to type <$50

thanks for the info. i did a bit of research & saw that the iRig requires the addt'l purchase of the Amplitube app, adding $20 to the cost... is that the same for the Sonic Port?

nevermind... found it needs the (free) Mobile POD app & amazon has the SP on sale for $87, so it's not a huge price difference & the SP seems like a much better piece of equipment
Last edited by guitgrinder at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by guitgrinder
yea I meant to type <$50

thanks for the info. i did a bit of research & saw that the iRig requires the addt'l purchase of the Amplitube app, adding $20 to the cost... is that the same for the Sonic Port?

nevermind... found it needs the (free) Mobile POD app & amazon has the SP on sale for $87, so it's not a huge price difference & the SP seems like a much better piece of equipment

iRig is advertised to be used with amplitube, but you should be able to use it with any amp emulation software, same with the sonic port

both of those pieces of hardware can be more generically considered a way of delivering an audio signal to the iDevice and any software looking for an input signal should be able to find it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 10, 2014,
I had the original irig and it wasn't that great. The best I've found is the rocksmith cable via the camera adapter or direct usb on a macbook. Works on all of the ios/apple devices that I have tried(ipad2, ipad air, ipod 5, iphone4).
I was on the market for an audio interface for ipad as well. I decided to go with the Irig pro because it was the only one they had in store.

It's not bad, but in my opinion it's not worth the 150$ price tag. I wanted to do real serious stuff with this, but the interface just can't handle it. It's great for recording on the road thought. I'm sure one of those griffin or any other analog converter for ipad can do just right too and it'll be in the price range.
Last edited by Taz9 at Feb 11, 2014,
Line 6 mobile in is a great product,100 bucks,app is free,also a recent update lets u record into garageband,excellent product