hey guys, so, im wondering, am i the only one that thinks writing and improvising solos over a single note, is more difficult than playing over more complicated rhythm pieces? Ive been trying to write a solo for one of my bands songs, 16 bars long, and for 12 of those 16, its just an E pedal note, but every fourth bar, u just descend A Ab F. So, by my logic, this makes it E phrygian dominant. But really, creating a melody over this is kicking my a**. The pace is pretty much straight 16th notes. Am i the only one that finds writing a solo over this more difficult, compared to something that might change more rhythmically, and have more notes under it? When i usually write a solo, i focus more on the rhythm underneath, and come up with some cool phrases over it. But with just 16th note rhythms, im not figuring out much i like. It just sounds like im trying to force something that isnt there.
So, i guess in the long run, am I the only one that runs into this problem? Or do some of you guys have similar problems.
I find it to be much the same, I think it's because you can't rely on the backing to make things more interesting or give you clues about the harmony; all the movement has to come from your lead.

I don't know if you've already tried this but put down the guitar and step away from it, try singing a lead over the section and see if that helps.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.