So let me just say that my love for guitar is indescribable. Its what I hope to do for some sort of career. The only problem is that Ive lost that fierce drive to practice all the time.

My skill level isn't what I want it to be. I want to get fast. I want to be able to write amazing music, but spending so many hours on technique has gotten me very little. Ive been practicing everything right when it comes to alternate picking, sweep picking, etc. but how to I push myself to practice even when I have little time to do so? Like after I come home from school, I want to want to go practice all night. Or if I only have maybe 30 minutes before I go to sleep or go to a choir or band rehearsal or work to practice then??

I want to get good as soon as possible, i go to college this fall semester and I want to come out of college feeling like a guitarist.

Thanks for your input!
Quote by McZaxon
I've had 8 years experience with music and music theory.

Quote by McZaxon
I've been playing for almost six years.

Quote by McZaxon
I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years now. But have been serious for about 3

I just read a lot of your past threads. All your questions are incredibly pedantic and you can't seem to figure out how long you've been playing guitar. Don't be so pedantic bro. You wont die from playing 30minutes a night. You're young and you worry about things way too much.
Also over 50% of your threads are about speed. The day you stop chasing speed you'll be a better guitarist for it.
Quote by vayne92
The day you stop chasing speed you'll be a better guitarist for it.

Can't emphasize this point enough. Seriously.

Also, if you're going to make this a career (which is hard by the way) then I suggest finding another hobby. Some times you will be properly burned out on music and you will need other things to do to have fun.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by vayne92

The day you stop chasing speed you'll be a better guitarist for it.

I also agree with this to 110%. I was a very unhappy guitarist when i was chasing speed and letting other players opinion influence me, that being players telling me i wasn't any good or that they could do it better, or that i was a worse player for not playing something technical at times. That was many many years ago now, but i still remember that time.

The earlier you stop chasing speed and just focus on learning music, the better.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Feb 11, 2014,
If you need to force yourself to do a hobby you should really think of something else to do. But don't worry, I'm sure the drive to play will return, you just need some inspiration. Find some new bands to you like, or start up a band.
Quote by The_Locker
If you need to force yourself to do a hobby you should really think of something else to do. But don't worry, I'm sure the drive to play will return, you just need some inspiration. Find some new bands to you like, or start up a band.

TS wants to make this a job, it's not a hobby in this case.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The one thing I notice is that you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. I've read a lot of your recent posts, and you are worrying a lot about where your playing *should* be, and how you compare to other guitarists. This is something I sympathize with because I'm a perfectionist too. I used to torture myself over stuff like this, and it has taken me a long time (and the passage of time, getting older as a person) to get to where I look at it differently.

First of all, learn to enjoy the journey. No matter how good you eventually get, there will always be things you want to do better. Hell, I've been at it for over 20 years, and I don't even consider myself halfway there! Whatever "there" is! But that's cool - it's that dissatisfaction that gives you the drive to keep getting better, and exploring new stuff. But you've got to learn to manage that feeling of dissatisfaction so that it doesn't drive you crazy. Set yourself small, actionable goals - stuff that you can accomplish in a few days to a week. Sometimes, you get so caught up looking at the big picture, that you miss the one thing you can actually do something about, and that is those small goals. They should be little, specific things, like improving a certain chord change, or sliding into a phrase you've been working on more smoothly, etc, etc. Look away from the big goal for a little bit, and just get busy with the smaller goals. Imagine what happens if you get into this mode of thinking, and over time you accomplish hundreds of these little goals. Well, your playing will have made a quantum leap, and it will just sneak up on you.

Hope this helps.
+1

Playing guitar is a journey, not a destination. There's no point rushing to get to "the end" because there isn't one, all you end up doing is missing out on all the important stuff.

The more you learn the more you'll realise you don't know, so stop worrying about the things you can't do and instead focus on what you can do and work out the best way to build on those foundations. Set yourself achievable, short term goals and focus on getting some things accomplished rather than constantly shifting the goalposts for yourself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Lol, i have written a lit about speed....i guess im so adamant on it I keep forgetting about what others tell me.

I guess I just need to focus on the good things, and try not to get ahead of myself.
If I'm really bogged down/unmotivated, I'll buy a new book or dvd for guitar. New material really sparks me up again to play. Or, I'll buy new strings, maybe a new gauge and play with my guitars action (even if I recently changed them). Hell, I've rekindled my passion for guitar over a pick.

Don't have money? Chill out around here for a bit, learning new things. Something will come across as interesting to you, that you have to try out.

Calm down dude. Burning out is a lot worse for your future career than some days of skipped practice.
You got the drive m8 just need to figure out how to time it, dont let you mind create a reason not to do it, and take your time.
Whats goes around must come down
Sounds like you would benefit from buying and using Rocksmith 2014, particularly if you buy the PC version to take advantage of the 2217 (last I counted earlier this evening) custom songs available so far. You'll also find Session Mode handy too I reckon.

I've seen plenty of people on various forums saying that it's a great tool for driving people to practice more.