Yeah, I know; it's not the most favorite genre that people like to talk about. But I don't want to deal with any hate. If you don't like it, then please just ignore this thread. I just like to discuss some of the music I enjoyed growing up in the late 90's/early 2k's.

This is just a post to start off the thread. If anybody else wants to chime in, feel free!
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

Last edited by FoX KiLLa at Feb 11, 2014,
I still like nu metal, though I like other music too of course. Korn and Limp Bizkit are one of my favorite bands.

Sure, there were some awful nu metal bands, but there were a lot of good ones too. Even a few great ones.
Last edited by jekylhyde at Feb 11, 2014,
I would say their first two albums Adrenaline and Around The Fur fall under nu-metal. White Pony and albums after that go down the [post-nu-metal] alt-metal fork.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

I decided to elaborate some more on my original post:

Nu-metal was an era of a lot of experimentation and genre-bending rock and I know a lot of it was done with fusing rap/hip-hop elements into modern rock styles. But personally, I've actually become more of a fan of what I consider the 'aggro-metal' subset of nu-metal. Although some of these bands still had some rap/hip-hop influences, they still kept a more aggressive rock/metal flavor to their sound; sometimes using elements of death, groove, or industrial metal in their sound.

I didn't continuously listen to nu-metal aside from listening to Deftones or the random old-school Korn song. But within the last year or so I've been seeking out these aggro-metal bands more and more. It basically started with the band Flaw.

I came across their song 'Whole' on YouTube (I hadn't heard it in years) and got all nostalgic for that era of music again. Pulled up Flaw on the Slacker Radio app and got introduced (or re-introduced) to more of that style of nu-metal again. It wasn't all rap/rock fusion music either (although one of my all-time favorites is a real rap-rock band called Reveille), but bands with a mix of post-grunge style hard rock with some metal-toned influences.

I'll give a quick rundown of the bands whose music I've picked up again lately: Nothingface, Nonpoint, 40 Below Summer, Reveille/Genuflect, Nullset, Primer 55, Motograter, Slaves On Dope, Taproot, Ill Nino, American Head Charge, Unloco, Endo, Stereomud, Spineshank. If you haven't heard of these bands before, I suggest hitting up YouTube and checking out some of their music.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Last edited by FoX KiLLa at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by MaXiMuse
In that case, I'm going to pop the question.

Is Deftones nu-metal or were they it during sometime? I think so, but everybody is like "No man, it's alternative metal". It has some Korm-similarities now and then and it has the whole skate thing going on...

I honestly don't understand Nu-Metal. I thought I knew it at one point. At one time I was like "oh Limp Bizkit, Korn, Rage Against The Machine" I get it now. But then people would also say Disturbed, Slipknot, and Deftones and I would get confused. Is that just me?
Quote by donegan_zealot
I honestly don't understand Nu-Metal. I thought I knew it at one point. At one time I was like "oh Limp Bizkit, Korn, Rage Against The Machine" I get it now. But then people would also say Disturbed, Slipknot, and Deftones and I would get confused. Is that just me?

Eh, nu-metal had a much more broad definition than most people attribute to it. Like I said in my previous post, it was a time of lot of genre-fusing. Rap/hip-hop was a big part of it, but I don't see it as being the only elements brought into nu-metal. Slipknot did have some hardcore hip-hop elements, though (turntablism, rap-like vocals).

Think of nu-metal as an era of music. Kind of like what grunge was in the early 90's. There's probably people that might still make grunge rock, but you don't hear true grunge rock like you heard all over the place at the time. Not even by the bands that were originally associated with it (like Pearl Jam or Soundgarden). I basically get the same notion that's how nu-metal could be described as when looking back on it.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

I have nothing against it, I'm thankful for it bringing me into metal in 1998 or so. We listened to Korn and Slipknot on the classroom stereo during breaks and went nuts, girls went like WTF.

Bands I associate with the era were Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Deftones, System of a Down, Rammstein (a bit different but also similar), then a bit later Linkin Park were more pop style nu metal and too soft, also Disturbed was pretty good. I think a lot of what defines it is hip hop influences and drop tuned riffs with rapid powerchord switches/hammer-ons and slides, mix of clean/rap and screaming vocals. The first Korn and the technically 2nd Slipknot are still some of my favorite albums. I came from liking really bad hip hop or rnb and would probably never have gotten into music, really good metal and guitar playing if it weren't for these.
Last edited by fanapathy at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by fanapathy
Bands I associate with the era were Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Deftones, System of a Down, Rammstein (a bit different but also similar), then a bit later Linkin Park were more pop style nu metal and too soft, also Disturbed was pretty good. I think a lot of what defines it is hip hop influences and drop tuned riffs with rapid powerchord switches/hammer-ons and slides, mix of clean/rap and screaming vocals. The first Korn and the technically 2nd Slipknot are still some of my favorite albums. I came from liking really bad hip hop or rnb and would probably never have gotten into music, really good metal and guitar playing if it weren't for these.

That's a story I somehow end up hearing every so often. Especially when I hear that Korn was somehow this gateway metal band. I can understand it also. It's just funny cuz I hear so many people rag on nu-metal and what Korn and Limp Bizkit did to the hard rock scene at the time. But in the end if it was a stepping stone towards exploring a wider range of rock and metal.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab