I recently got back into guitar and have several RI 65's (2 65 twins and a DRRI), as well as a crate vc2110. I wanted something in between hence the VVT X-40, and thought a small 1X12 cab @8 ohms would be the ticket. I got a stock egnater and put in a weber 12 blue dog ceramic 30 watt.

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experiences with the combo? I had considered an alnico blue but wanted something less bright that would break at lower volumes. I am getting too old for a full stack (or even a half stack).

If anyone has a VVT X-40, the output has to 8 ohm jacks. Do these work in series (increasing the load to 4 ohms) or the other way around (16 ohms) when plugged in together? The manual doesn't indicate and I hear through the grapevine that the builder isn't exactly tolerant of Luddites (like me). Cheers!
I guess the question was too obscure, given the lack of responses. I can report back that the 30w ceramic Weber "Blue Dog," sounds really "bluesy" in the vented 1X12 cab, but, breaks up at too low of volumes to match the headroom requirement of such a powerful head as the Dumble clone, VVT X40. I initially thought this would be a desirable natural effect, but in retrospect, effectively limits the utility of the speaker, at higher volumes.

Up next is a Celestion alnico gold 50w, to see if it better matches the output requirements of the VVT X-40 head (that appears to be slightly conservative in the power rating, anyway). If that sounds too bright or harsh, I may opt for a Weber 50W ceramic silver bell.

FYI, the two 8 ohm outputs on the back of the head appear to be an "either/or" meaning, if both are under 8 ohm load, the power requirement of the head will increase the load to 4 ohms (beyond the recommended load of the head, but I am not sure this is the case, without hooking it up to an ohm meter. If this is correct, I could run 2 16 ohm 112 cabs or a 212 cab. If I scrap the 1 X12 cab, I can replace both 8 ohm speakers with 16 ohm 30W blue dog/silver bell and wire them to 8 ohms.

This quest for tone is an obsession, I fear will never result in complete sonic satisfaction, but the sound of this hardwired gem, is something to behold. I may never go back to playing my TRRI's or my DRRI, after hearing the potential of this head. After the speaker selection is complete, next up, is it to find a proper analog, tube driven spring reverb, but the current offerings are slightly underwhelming.
i run a weber alnico blue dog and a ceramic silver bell combination. my speakers are rated for 100 watts though, i wanted the headroom. great speakers

Quote by Chad Gladstone
If anyone has a VVT X-40, the output has to 8 ohm jacks. Do these work in series (increasing the load to 4 ohms) or the other way around (16 ohms) when plugged in together? The manual doesn't indicate and I hear through the grapevine that the builder isn't exactly tolerant of Luddites (like me). Cheers!

these jacks are almost always connected in parallel. usually there is an impedance selection option available as well, but lets just assume you're works as though they are both connected to an 8 ohm tap on the output transformer.

that would mean you could plug one 8 ohm speaker into either jack or you could plug two 16 ohm speakers into both jacks.

Quote by Chad Gladstone
FYI, the two 8 ohm outputs on the back of the head appear to be an "either/or" meaning, if both are under 8 ohm load, the power requirement of the head will increase the load to 4 ohms (beyond the recommended load of the head, but I am not sure this is the case, without hooking it up to an ohm meter. If this is correct, I could run 2 16 ohm 112 cabs or a 212 cab. If I scrap the 1 X12 cab, I can replace both 8 ohm speakers with 16 ohm 30W blue dog/silver bell and wire them to 8 ohms.

i am not exactly sure what you mean here. those jacks are hooked up to an output transformer on the amp, the taps on the transformer dictate the load (ohms) they want to see. it also shouldn't matter if your cab is a 1x12 or 2x12 or 4x12, the total impedance of the cab is all that matters.

i cannot find a picture of the back of your amp, so it is hard for me to explain what is possibly going on and the pic they have in the manual only shows one output jack. though it does say this in the manual:

4. SPEAKER Jacks – 8 Ohm Output. Total speaker load impedance should not exceed 8 Ohms or minimum rating of 4 Ohms. Two 8 Ohm cabs = Ohms, two 16 Ohm cabs = 8 Ohms.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
i cannot find a picture of the back of your amp, so it is hard for me to explain what is possibly going on and the pic they have in the manual only shows one output jack. though it does say this in the manual:

4. SPEAKER Jacks – 8 Ohm Output. Total speaker load impedance should not exceed 8 Ohms or minimum rating of 4 Ohms. Two 8 Ohm cabs = Ohms, two 16 Ohm cabs = 8 Ohms.

Thanks for the help. The PDF of the manual only has a single output, but I think the reasoning is sound. The newer models have dual outputs, with 8 ohm max and 4 ohm minimum, so it really shouldn't matter since either way, I will be within the ohm range. 2X12@16 ohms=8 ohms or 2X12@8 ohms= 4 ohms.

A couple more days until alnico gold. I just found a '63 reverb (handwired) from a RI '63 Fender reverb and put in a Gomez. It is a better score than the VVT X-40, IMO.

I now have a dumble worthy head and cab, at a fraction of the cost. I haven't had the urge to play through a twin or RD, since I got this VVT, but my fingers are killing me.
Quote by gumbilicious
i run a weber alnico blue dog and a ceramic silver bell combination. my speakers are rated for 100 watts though, i wanted the headroom. great speakers

these jacks are almost always connected in parallel. usually there is an impedance selection option available as well, but lets just assume you're works as though they are both connected to an 8 ohm tap on the output transformer.

that would mean you could plug one 8 ohm speaker into either jack or you could plug two 16 ohm speakers into both jacks.

i am not exactly sure what you mean here. those jacks are hooked up to an output transformer on the amp, the taps on the transformer dictate the load (ohms) they want to see. it also shouldn't matter if your cab is a 1x12 or 2x12 or 4x12, the total impedance of the cab is all that matters.

Okay, sorted the Ohm load issues and settled on 2 1X12 cabs @ 8 ohms each, the first 1X12, Egnater rebel(closed back, ported), with a Weber blue dog ceramic 30W and the other, a BlackStar HTV 112 (semi open back, oversized cab with a Celestion alnico gold 50W), running parallel, for a total impedance, the optimal 4 ohms outputted from the VVT X-40 hand wired head. In the front, I picked up a Gomez g-spring reverb, hand wired by Dario, in a new, gutted '63 fender reverb cab, to his exacting specifications.

It is all up and running and has a complex, sophisticated tonality with brightness, bass, plenty of headroom, but capable of being driven, at higher volumes. That hand wired reverb, has few equals, and I highly recommend it (if the cost can be justified). Even for those whose heads and combos have a built in, tube driven, spring reverb pan, will instantly notice, just how much better of a musician they have become.

The system appears a little frenetic, but for now, I am reveling in the disorganized chaos. With the 2 1x12's, I now have plenty of flexibility for mono, stereo with the potential to experiment with various speaker positioning, and some dynamic frequency responses.

After a little research and mods, I will switch the cab/speaker configuration, as the oversized Blackstar/celestion combo overwhelms the Etnater/blue dog, with the latter's more directional voicing. It is noteworthy that the original "stock" speakers preloaded in these cabs were dull and uninspiring (IMO, not worth the time to burn them in), and although the cabs will never substitute for theile's, with the speaker swaps, they nicely complement each other's intonation. The much maligned budget cabs are really much better than their preceding reputation, just by swapping out the speakers. Also, springing for the boutique cabs, just to gut them, was a futile endeavor. My prevailing consideration to purchase entry level cabs was to prove the concept. Now that I have, I will definitely start the quest for better, unloaded cabs.

I have narrowed the search for a couple of oversized 1x12 custom cabs I want commissioned. For now, I am tickled to have my first custom creation, temporarily abandoning my stable of retro fenders; DRRI and the two, TRRI's.

It has been a great learning experience, thanks again for all the assistance.

The cab swap was simple and extremely budget conscious. As a guilty pleasure, I still engage my fender mustang floor, to experiment with rudimentary effects. The floor is a great beginner product, to explore a multitude of effects, as a low cost gateway into boutique pedals. It is decent quality to "ball park" a desired sound, without having to chose which pedals enhance the tone I wish to emulate. Given its bargain value, it is a blast to use and has assuaged my need for instant gratification, until I have a better understanding of what pedals will complement the tonality I want to generate. Fun stuff.