Hi. Im a beginner guitarist, 16 years old, been learning for about two months so far through internet and youtube. I'd like to know how long will it take to be able to play well in a band, maybe play solos if possible. Because next year, some bands from my school will be holding auditions at the start of the year and i wanna know is it possible, is there any possibility at all of me being able to get a place? (These bands mainly play rock, pop rock) I have about 1 year to practice as hard as possible, is it possible to learn and practice what I need to know before then?

Currently my progress is like this: I started two months ago, by the end of the first month I could play most open chords on an acoustic guitar (which is also the only guitar I have, no electric, planning to buy one soon). Now I have learnt to play quite a few chord progressions, can kinda play songs smoothly. I can play power chords on acoustic (I know its not meant to be like that but i dont have an electric). I can play easy songs, smoke on the water, rock you like a hurricane, you give love a bad name. I just started learning scales and want to learn to play solos soon.

Basically I want to know from some experienced guitarists out there, how good is my progress? Is it possible to be able to be good enough to play solos and good rhythm by early next year? It may be far fetched, but iff there is a slightest hint of a possibility I am completely willing to practice for 2-3 hours per day and more on weekends. If thats not enough I am also willing to pay to get a guitar teacher also.

Help and advice please?
How good your progress is doesn't really... exist. The notion of progress relative to other people is such a deeply flawed notion that comparing two guitarists is basically meaningless.

That said... if you can play power chords in time you are at least notionally good enough to join a band. The most important part about being in a band, at least from a playing standpoint, is being able to play in time. It doesn't matter if you can't play a lead to save your life, if your rhythm playing has metronomic accuracy then you will always be able to find a band to join.

As for what to practice... everything. Nothing. It really depends exactly what band you're joining. "rock" and "pop rock" don't really mean anything to me, can you give examples of the kind of music you're likely to be asked to play in these bands?

Also another thing to consider, at least if these aren't official school bands: the most important part about joining a band is being a decent person to spend time with. It doesn't make any difference if you're the world's greatest guitarist, if your potential bandmates can't stand the idea of spending a tonne of time in a small rehearsal space with you then nothing else matters and you won't get the spot.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hi! Thanks for trying to help me!

While I do agree that progress and comparison of guitarists is quite useless, this is exactly what the band members are going to do when I audition as they will compare me to the rest of the people that audition . Basically i have to be able to solo

Or maybe you could help me by telling me what to practice to make me appear to be good compared to others? I dont want to be just "notionally good". I need to impress the band enough to make them accept me. I can keep in time rather well, i do play the drums too im good in time keeping so maybe i can get in with drums if i screw up on guitar.

Also the kind of music they are playing is mainly the more popular rock stuff
Examples
Fall Out boy, all american rejects, the occasional foo fighters and aerosmith etc

Haha yeah Im a fun person to be around so dont worry on that part
Realistically for you to be good enough to be in a good band in a year you'd need to practice for hours everyday, i've been playing for about a year and 4 months, i feel i could be in a band, i practice a lot, so yes it's possible but a lot of practice, we can't tell how you're going without a video
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by chickenpiepwns
Hi! Thanks for trying to help me!

While I do agree that progress and comparison of guitarists is quite useless, this is exactly what the band members are going to do when I audition as they will compare me to the rest of the people that audition . Basically i have to be able to solo

Or maybe you could help me by telling me what to practice to make me appear to be good compared to others? I dont want to be just "notionally good". I need to impress the band enough to make them accept me. I can keep in time rather well, i do play the drums too im good in time keeping so maybe i can get in with drums if i screw up on guitar.

Also the kind of music they are playing is mainly the more popular rock stuff
Examples
Fall Out boy, all american rejects, the occasional foo fighters and aerosmith etc

Haha yeah Im a fun person to be around so dont worry on that part

See the problem is, if you're not good enough there's nothing you can do to make yourself look good enough. Or at least if there is not only do I not know it but if I did I wouldn't tell you because it would harm the bands in the long run.

Practice the kind of music you'll be expected to be able to play. If you can get good enough in a year then awesome and good for you but if not then don't take it personally; playing guitar requires time and practice and if you don't have enough time in the year to come then so be it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is right. You may need more than a year of good, consistent practice to become good enough to join a band. Additionally, just getting into the band is not going to be enough...you have to be able to grow as the band grows and if you are "just good enough" to get in, you may end up misleading them and yourself. It would be better for everyone if you took the time to practice as much as you can and if you need more than a year, then thats how it rolls. There will always be other bands and time and practice will only make you better! Whatever you do, GOOD LUCK!
"You're an individual and so are all of these guitars – it's really difficult for somebody else to tell you what's going to be right for you." - Revenge of the Naked Ape
I completely agree with Zaphod. It also depends what kind of band you want to join.. I've been playing almost 5 years and i still don't feel good enough to join a band. Then again I'd be into a more progressive Dream Theater / Between the Buried and Me - esque kind of thing which requires a lot more than just mediocre technical skills. I could join any one of the significantly overpopulated metalcore bands that exist in my town these days and play circles around their guitarists, but i don't want to be in one of those bands.
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 11, 2014,
Form your own band with friends who are at a similar level on other instruments. Take the initiative.
Learn new things, try challenging yourself and playing out of your norm, or just practice what you like, and practice it lots. The only way to get better is to practice, no matter what anyone tells you, some people learn faster than others, i've always been able to pick up instruments and memorize songs much easier than anyone else i know. If you don't already have it, buy Guitar Pro 6 for 60 bucks, i've had it for as long as i've played guitar and i still can't find a better way to learn songs. Find a song that you like that you think is just a little out of your playing ability and learn it, start slowly at first and just keep on practising.