I want the balls. I need the balls.

No, seriously, I'm looking at dropping a fatter, ballsier bridge pickup in the MIM Strat I picked up a couple weeks ago. This guitar's purpose is to serve as a compliment to my American Special Strat and the Texas Specials in it. Essentially, this will be the guitar for the heavier end of the music I play.

And now for the relevant info!

-Budget: Under $100. Any more, and I can get a custom wound for the same price.
-Genres: Rock, Alternative Rock, Prog Rock, Classic/Southern Rock, Fusion.
-Amp: Jet City JCA20H + a 1x12 (V30 or Classic Lead 80) or a 4x12 (G12-75s)

I'm looking at stacked pickups. I don't want a rail-style pickup, as I've never really liked the tone or the look.

The pickup should have a nice, ballsy sound with some punch to it. Something with a fat midrange is nice since I play plenty of leads. Perhaps somewhat of a darker voiced pickup would work. The pickup should have somewhat tamed highs that won't get harsh in the upper register.

So far, the leading choice is a Dimarzio Injector. Most of the Duncans I've looked at seem to be too bright for my tastes. I've also checked out the Dimarzio Virtual Solo, Bareknuckle Trilogy, Lace, the GFS line, and some others, but so far the Injector still seems the most appealing.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Feb 11, 2014,
Blackouts are also active so unless he wants to go active on all three pups I'd recommend against it. Quarter Pounders rock and they're passive. Absolute bucketloads of midrange just like he wants.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 11, 2014,
My vote is the Seymour Duncan SSL-4 QuarterPound

Got one in the bridge of my primary axe, it's a sweet pup.

Ben.
Fudoshin.

XxX-Ben-xXx
I've got one in my tele's bridge. It's kickass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've had a couple SD hotrails and like them.
Nah, avoid Duncans. They are always really hairy and harsh with cloudy murky mids and ragged low end when used in Strats.

Look at the Dimarzio Super Distortion, D-Activator, Tone Zone, Gravity Storm, Crunch Lab etc.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Cathbard
Blackouts are also active so unless he wants to go active on all three pups I'd recommend against it. Quarter Pounders rock and they're passive. Absolute bucketloads of midrange just like he wants.

The Duncan Tonechart shows the Quarter Pound has a slightly scooped mid, with a B/M/T of 5/4/6. I wish I could find a decent clip of the pickup, but I can't find anything on youtube that's worth watching.

Anyone have clips?

And just to reiterate. No actives or rail-style pickups.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Feb 11, 2014,
I'm just going by my ears. The quarter pounder has a real P90 vibe to it. It cuts through a mix really well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I do the Gilmour mod to all my Strats so maybe that's why I like the Hotrails. I have noiseless in the N/M. the neck and bridge together has massive bottom end...tight not boomy maybe just a good match of pickups...
Quote by Cathbard
I'm just going by my ears. The quarter pounder has a real P90 vibe to it. It cuts through a mix really well.

The "P90" vibe seems to be the phrase I'm seeing quite a bit in doing some research. I wish I could find some more (and better quality) clips of the SSL-4 in action. I'll keep digging around. I'm not in a hurry to drop a new pickup in, it probably won't happen for another month or so.

I probably haven't seen enough for the SSL-4 to edge out the Injector, but it's a contender.
Quote by Zeppelin71
I play slide on my tele with the quarter pounder and everybody says I get very close to Pete Wells' tone when we do Rose Tattoo songs and Wellsy used a P90 in the bridge. Now being an American I guess you have no idea who that is so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeTBsQmMEpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnplgWkI6nM

The slide guitarist of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
I play slide on my tele with the quarter pounder and everybody says I get very close to Pete Wells' tone when we do Rose Tattoo songs and Wellsy used a P90 in the bridge. Now being an American I guess you have no idea who that is so:

I'm actually not totally unfamiliar, but thanks for posting those videos for reference!

Any issues with brightness with the Quarter Pound? I use a Jet City JCA20 as my main gigging amp, which is fairly bright itself.
Quote by Zeppelin71
No, not really. It has a good top end but it's not overpowering at all. And I'm playing with a steel slide on a tele which is going to be brighter than your strat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Van Noord
Nah, avoid Duncans. They are always really hairy and harsh with cloudy murky mids and ragged low end when used in Strats.

Look at the Dimarzio Super Distortion, D-Activator, Tone Zone, Gravity Storm, Crunch Lab etc.

Great recommendations considering the OP is clearly not asking for a humbucker sized pickup