Hi

I'm looking for a cheap (no more than £50.00) second hand bass to use purely for adding a bass line to my recordings.

I know nothing about Bass guitars so what should I be looking for? Would I be able to pick anything usable up for this sort of price? I was going to take a look on Gumtree.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Does no one have a comment?

Aren't there any cheap bass guitars that are generally regarded as the best of the budget range that I could be looking for?

I'm a regular 6 string guy so was hoping that one of the Bass guitar regulars might be able to share some wisdom and point me in the right direction.
I mean, that's pretty friggin' cheap. I wouldn't spend less then 100$ on even a junker to use. You'll just end up amplifying cardboard, so putting a little more money into will be worth it. Unless you plan to just smash it with distortion, or bury it in the mix.
Tech 21 Sansamp PSA 1
Carvin F600
LTD B-206SM
Traben Neo 5
Boss NS-2
Mesa Custom Cabs
1x15"
2x10"
I paid £50 on ebay for my Peavey Milestone III - purchased for the exact same reason you're considering buying one, but it's actually a pretty solid guitar. Several 'proper' bassists have said it compares well to their more expensive kit.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Anything for that price is really hard to find. Even the crappiest/cheapest basses usually cost more. So maybe try spending a bit more. For £150-200 (or even a bit less) you could get a pretty good used bass.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Have a look on ebay for Ibanez - their budget range are rated as a nice playable bass and can usually be picked up cheaply, probably not £50 but under £100.
Yeh I know £50.00 is a bit tight but I really do only need it for the odd occasion that I need to create a bass line for a track I've created.

Thanks for your help guys!
My Ibanez was £60 with a hard case too, so it is possible to do it. But you might have to hunt around a bit.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.