I am looking to buy my first pair of monitors and would like some advice on what to get.
Budget is $300 per speaker but if I can get something better/as good for less then I am all ears.

Right now I am looking at the yamaha hs80m and hs50m anyone have experience with either of these? Also the room i am mixing/recording in is about 15x16 feet if that helps
HS80M (and the new HS7 and HS8) are awesome. I bought them as a second set to a pair of Adam S2As that I had and ended up selling the Adams (for 5 times more than what I paid for the Yamahas, mind you), because the Yamahas worked WAY better for me.

$300/each is a very respectable budget, and you have a very nicely sized room, so the HS80Ms, or other 7 - 8" monitors should do nicely. Do you have any acoustic treatment up? That will definitely be the next thing you'll want to look into.

The HS50Ms (and HS5s) are great, too, but they don't have much low-end. With the size of room you're in, you'll probably want a sub to use with them, which will lead to some really bad acoustic issues if your room isn't treated to control the low end dispersion.

Another pair of speakers to check into would be the Dynaudio BM5A and BM6A. For some reason, these seem to get a bad rap on Gearslutz, but I A/B'd them against a bunch of other high end monitors a few months ago, expecting to not like them at all, and they were AWESOME IMO. So far, besides Event Opals, these are the only monitors I've tried so far that I could see myself as a consideration to replace my HS80Ms. The Adam A7Xs get a lot of praise on the forums, and next to the BM5A MKIIs, they barely held a candle in clarity, stereo image and overall frequency response
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks. It seems I will go with the HS80M Found a pair on sale for a pretty good price.

Right now I have no acoustic treatment up. I want to but do not know where to start. any advice on what to do treatment wise?
Quote by tman160
Also how do the hs8 do against the hs80m?

They're pretty similar IMO.

Some people prefer the new ones, some people say they suck. Both sound good IMO, I wouldn't be disappointed with either... just buy whichever's cheaper

As far as treatment is concerned, there's tons of resources online. You'll want to find a local supplier for rigid fiberglass (Owens Corning 703) or mineral wool (Roxul RHT and equivalents). You'll then build a wood frame and get some breathable fabric and staple it around it to keep the stuff in. Then you'll mount them on your walls and in corners. The John Sayers forum has some great resources for building them for cheap, otherwise, you can buy them prebuilt, but they're going to cost a lot more. You can treat your room for ~$300ish, if you can find a local supplier for the panels.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
+1 for the Dynaudios. Love those guys.

But I would highly recommend treating your room. Even the best monitors sound bad in a bad room. Matrix nailed it, and I'm actually in the process of doing exactly that.