Hey guys,

I don't post here often, but I just ordered a Schecter Hellcat VI that I would like to tune in either Ab standard, Bb standard, or drop Ab. I know that stock it is set up for standard tuning one octave down, so I probably have to get a new set of strings to achieve the tuning I want. What gauges should I look for? For reference, I use 13-62's for drop C# on a 25.5" scale length Jazzmaster so that's the kind of tension I'm looking for.

Thanks!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I'd just try it with the strings that it comes with first, if that doesn't work for you then consider going with thicker strings. The problem with thicker strings is that you start getting a lot of fret buzz.

I play a LP copy in A-E-A-D-F#-B with strings from a seven string set, and just use the 6 thickest strings.

30" scale length is pretty long, that will add a lot to the string tension.
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by ninjamunky85
I'd just try it with the strings that it comes with first, if that doesn't work for you then consider going with thicker strings.

That would be uptuning two or more steps. Likely to break a string, and definitely going to involve a lot of adjustments.

OP, you bought the wrong guitar. You bought a six string short-scale bass. Getting it set up for Bb/Drop A will require a major setup and probably a new nut. All you need for Bb/drop A is a 26.5" guitar with .013 or .014 strings. You should probably cancel this order and look at the various 26.5" models made by Schecter and Ibanez.
Last edited by jpnyc at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by Jayerrr
why do you need such low tunings first of all?

Why not?

Quote by ninjamunky85
I'd just try it with the strings that it comes with first, if that doesn't work for you then consider going with thicker strings. The problem with thicker strings is that you start getting a lot of fret buzz.

I play a LP copy in A-E-A-D-F#-B with strings from a seven string set, and just use the 6 thickest strings.

30" scale length is pretty long, that will add a lot to the string tension.

The strings that come with it aren't going to work because it's set up for standard tuning one octave down. I need something a bit lighter.

Quote by jpnyc
That would be uptuning two or more steps. Likely to break a string, and definitely going to involve a lot of adjustments.

OP, you bought the wrong guitar. You bought a six string short-scale bass. Getting it set up for Bb/Drop A will require a major setup and probably a new nut. All you need for Bb/drop A is a 26.5" guitar with .013 or .014 strings. You should probably cancel this order and look at the various 26.5" models made by Schecter and Ibanez.

I didn't buy the wrong guitar. Plenty of folks buy Bass VIs or similar guitars with 30" scale lengths and set them up as baritones. I'm just not sure what strings people use to do so. If I was looking for a 28" or a 26.5" guitar, I would have gotten one of those instead.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments