Hi there,
I am going to be in a university room for years to come and I use a Laney IRT-Studio using a line out with the in-built cabsim to record and play with headphones.

Whilst the cabsim is good for live purposes, for recording I cannot stand it, if I were going to get as good of a tone as if it were mic'd with the SM57 I have to do some serious EQ'ing in the FX loop. To state, I love the tone I have, just line-outs with the cabsim are rubbish IMO.

Also without using the cabsim and using GR5 to run cabsims it sounds better but still very processed.

A cheap EQ rack (15 band, nothing overly monstrous like 31+) would cost me nothing and would allow me to carry on using the cabsim as well as sculpt tone a little bit further.

What do you think of something like this?

Kind regards!
A cheap rack EQ will degrade your signal and introduce unwanted hum and other crap. I've been there, didn't work. If you want to EQ your recording, I suggest you look for a nice VST plugin to use. In fact, most DAWs come with such a plugin.

While on the topic, I also suggest you get a free impulse loader with some free impulses (sort of like cabinet simulations), and use those.

Laney IRT studio > sound interface > DAW with Impulse and EQ > profit.

See?

*edit*

Sorry, never mind I see you mostly just want to plug headphones into the laney. Would it be an option for you to play it through your laptop like I suggested instead? Impulses will be MUCH better than the cab simulation in the Laney, and it would also allow you to make fantastic recordings. It would probably mean getting a cheap USB interface for your laptop/computer instead of the rack EQ.

*edit*

If you really MUST go the EQ in the loop route, look at the MXR10 band EQs.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Feb 11, 2014,
^ +1 that solution will sort you for many things: EQ, much better cab sims, hell, other amp sims if you want to try them out. Then there's the obvious fact that every time you plug in you'll instantly be ready to hit record.

Before you ask, the Audio Interface people will recommend is the Focusrite 2i4.
Boys,
thanks very much. I see your point and will probably not go down the rack EQ route. I really want more than 10 band though, and taking out the region of 20KHz is really necessary for me. I am using fabfilter pro-q and its great but a physical set of bands to use would be easier.

Most of the time I'm with my laptop so yes you are right, it'd be wise to use VST's for now.

As for impulse what do you think of recabinet 3/3.5? Debating buying it.
Quote by AngryIndianDude
Boys,
thanks very much. I see your point and will probably not go down the rack EQ route. I really want more than 10 band though, and taking out the region of 20KHz is really necessary for me. I am using fabfilter pro-q and its great but a physical set of bands to use would be easier.

Most of the time I'm with my laptop so yes you are right, it'd be wise to use VST's for now.

As for impulse what do you think of recabinet 3/3.5? Debating buying it.

If you're going to use the laney, I wouldn't bother just yet. There are some very, very good impulses floating around online. Just use these 2 to get started:

VST Impulse loader: http://lepouplugins.blogspot.nl/2009/07/lecab-v10.html
Some impulses: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/merch-stand/841825-new-catharsis-fredman-impulses-free.html

Use LeCab as your impulse loader then load the .wav impulse files with that. Recabinet isn't as good as some of the free stuff floating around.
WTLTL 2011
I used to use a 32 band Alesis EQ. They're pretty good and not too expensive. I think they also made a 15+15 but I'm not sure. Still, the Alesis stuff is pretty good. If you really want to fine tune the tone and 10 bands isn't fine enough, the 32 band is the way to go. There's a reason pro studios use 32 band EQ's. If 10 isn't enough, neither will be 15.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hi guys,

Got recabinet. Going to see what it can do, if not I will be using the cabsim and an EQ rack. #nervous!