So,In a vocalist and I was looking for a band.(metal, rock)
About a month ago a drummer and a guitar player(Both really good) told me they needed a vocalist and all that.
So I sent the a small recording of me singing and theynliked it so now we are gonna have our first meeting on one week from today.
The thing is im 16, turning 17 in a week, and they are 26 and 27.
Do you think age will have an effect on the band if im this young.
I would have liked to be in a band with people my age but where I live its really hard because its a really small country with not so much good musicians.
(Sorry for my english, my native language is spanish)
As long as you don't stop your band from getting gigs in bars, your age shouldn't matter.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In my experience some bars will let it go if only one band member is underage. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if your skill level is up to par with the others you should be fine.
Thank you for your opinions, other thing, dontyou think it will be weird if the band gets big that all members are old except for the vocalist?
Quote by GabeGamboa
Thank you for your opinions, other thing, dontyou think it will be weird if the band gets big that all members are old except for the vocalist?

I'd worry more about it being weird if the band gets hit by lightning and all members are old except the vocalist, since it's probably slightly more likely. Don't get ahead of yourself.
Just relax and give it a try. I've played in a band with a 16year old drummer and a 60 year old guitarist. It was fun.

Decent vocalists are quite hard to find so if you are any good they'll be glad to have you. They won't expect you to know everything at your age so don't worry about that either.

In all probability if you are still singing at their age you'll have been in at least half a dozen bands and learned a little from each. Just try it and see how it works.

Good luck
I think it's fine. I'm 16. My band's singer is 27. Doesn't stop us from playing together.
Quote by GabeGamboa

Your def. singer material....ego the size of the sun...which you probably can´t relate too since you´ve never actually seen it..... cause your heads shoved so far up your arse..

the only thing you should be asking yourself instead of fretting about others ages or looks is:

A. if they´re good enough
B. if your good enough
C. Will we sound good together
D. how the f*ck did I get so lucky to hang out with 27 year old guys, on the stage, in the band, in the bar?

....the only one that should should be worried about looking odd in a bar is the one that still has the distinct odour of amniotic fluid

..and yes I have a big chip on my shoulder cause if 27´s old....what the hell am I ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
I said, if we got big, because I like to think it isna possibility and refered as old because if we get big lets say in 10 year (if we ever do) i will be 27 while they will be about 40.
But now that I thought about it, rock aint about appeareances or age.
^^^ There's no need to consider this issue yet. Juat play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Our guys are 27, 29, 29, 32.

I know we'll never make it HUGE, but that doesn't stop me from playing and writing like it's an absolute certainty. Basically: Live in the moment and have fun.

Besides, the vast majority of highly successful bands swap members at some point or another on the road to success.
My coverband 20-29-32-37
My realband 32-37-46-47-59

....I'd pick the "old guys" over the youngens anyday!!....they got more rock in them than any kid these days ....and tattoos!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
40 - 44 - 45 - 45 -46

We just recently found a second guitar player willing to play metal with guys our age. Most everyone into metal seems to be 20+ years younger.
I wouldn't worry about "getting big" yet. Just give it a try. You don't need to play in a band just to "get big" (IMO that shouldn't be the only reason to be in a band). Playing in a band is fun. If you don't get big, so what? Then start another band. Not every band needs to be 100% dead serious and you can play in many bands. Most likely you won't get big so don't worry about it yet. Just let it happen if it happens.

For example look at Kiss. Tommy Thayer is 53, Gene Simmons is 65. More than ten years, not a big deal. There are bands where the age difference is even bigger. But ten years is not that much.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Age doesn't really matter. Your skills and how well you get along matters. You just need to convince them about that, if they mention it. :-)
Your band can do all-ages shows. They're less frequent and probably pay nothing but they're way more fun.
Ages does not really matter, the most important thing is to have a good connection with your band mates, this is what a band is all about. Age is pretty much just a number. I have a 50 year old friend while I'm 21, that doesn't keep us from getting along well, so why would it be different with band mates?