Hey, lately I've been focusing to get better at alternate picking but something been bothering me. Is alternate picking most efficent way of picking at all cases? Atleast for someone who is not van halen or w/e.

For example at Plug in baby riff there is;

B|--7-----------------7-----|
G|-----7-----------7--------|
D|--------7-----7-----------|
A|----------- 9--------------|

is it still reasonable to alternate pick this? I would sweep pick that sort of part but it on same fret for each string so do I have any other choice then actually picking them one by one with upstroke & downstroke?

Also eare you supposed to alternate pick according to next notes string position according to your current string or just go up down up down no matter what?
Alternate picking is strictly Down-Up-Down-Up-Down etc (or Up-Down-Up-Down-Up etc.)

If you just picked down they you pick up
If you just picked up then you pick down

No exceptions.

That Riff Alternate picked starting with a down stroke would be D-U-D-U-D-U-D. It isn't the most economic way to play it, you could use an upward sweep (or individual upward strokes) and roll your fretting finger to hit the notes separately.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by MegadethFan18

That Riff Alternate picked starting with a down stroke would be D-U-D-U-D-U-D. It isn't the most economic way to play it, you could use an upward sweep (or individual upward strokes) and roll your fretting finger to hit the notes separately.

how do you roll your fretting finger to hit notes seperately? I get the idea of rolling to one lower string from higher one but how can one roll from lower one to higher?
Quote by arcanom
how do you roll your fretting finger to hit notes seperately? I get the idea of rolling to one lower string from higher one but how can one roll from lower one to higher?

Same thing, just backwards. It requires your finger to be in place for the roll before you start but it really is just the exact reverse of the ascending roll.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Same thing, just backwards. It requires your finger to be in place for the roll before you start but it really is just the exact reverse of the ascending roll.

So id put my finger on d7 and roll to b7 then unroll while picking? Sounds not bad, ill try it first thing in the morning tommorow thanks!!