Once it got to a difference of 0.75hz I couldn't really differentiate.

A low score on the higher frequencies (large difference of hertz) means you just need to train your ear. I don't see how being able to tell the difference between an A at 440hz and an A at 400.75hz really matters to musicianship
Last edited by macashmack at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by macashmack
Once it got to a difference of 0.75hz I couldn't really differentiate.

Same here. 1.5 was a bit hard for me too. I'd like to do one of these with two notes played at the same time. Ended up getting 3 Hz as a final result because I failed a 3 Hz one after getting a lot of 3 Hz ones right. 42nd percentile, I think. I did get 98.6th percentile on the tone deaf test, which was nice

Quote by macashmack
I don't see how being able to tell the difference between an A at 440hz and an A at 400.75hz really matters to musicianship

Hmm, I'd say 39.25 Hz is a bit much, yeah?

I was going to say that doing this in Hz is a bit stupid and they should do it in cents. But I made the calculations and for small frequency differences it doesn't really matter very much. I'd still have done it in cents though.
Quote by sickman411
I was going to say that doing this in Hz is a bit stupid and they should do it in cents. But I made the calculations and for small frequency differences it doesn't really matter very much.

Update: I made a graph of the difference in Hz from a 500 Hz note vs difference in cents between the two notes. Thought it would be a nice thing for the MT public to know.

I also made a close-up from 0 to 5 Hz:

As you can see, the difference is tiny.
Quote by sickman411
Same here. 1.5 was a bit hard for me too. I'd like to do one of these with two notes played at the same time. Ended up getting 3 Hz as a final result because I failed a 3 Hz one after getting a lot of 3 Hz ones right. 42nd percentile, I think. I did get 98.6th percentile on the tone deaf test, which was nice

Hmm, I'd say 39.25 Hz is a bit much, yeah?

I was going to say that doing this in Hz is a bit stupid and they should do it in cents. But I made the calculations and for small frequency differences it doesn't really matter very much. I'd still have done it in cents though.

I meant 440.75 lol I can't type for crap