Heyy,

Im trying to figure out a way to find out what bpm sixtuplets would be if you were to play the same amount of notes.. but grouped in 16ths..

Im totally stuck.. does anyone have an idea?
-Ernie Ball Music Man JP6
-Ibanez UV777
-Fender Lonestar Deluxe
-Ibanez GRG 270b
-Yamaha F350
-Ibanez AE105TY

-Bugera 6262 head
-Bugera 212 cab
-Marshall Valvestate 8040

-Line 6 pod x3 live
-Line 6 guitarport
-Vox Ice 9 Overdrive
Okay, so by sextuplets, I'll assume you are referring to sixteenth note sextuplets, aka six notes per beat if we are playing in 4/4.

So, now you want to know what the equivalent tempo would be for straight sixteenth notes, aka four notes per beat if we are playing in 4/4.

Alright. Let's assume we are playing our sextuplets at 60 BPM.

That's 6 notes per beat x 60 beats per minute = 360 beats in one minute.

Now let's take 360 beats in one minute and divide it by 4 notes per beat.

This gives us 90 beats per minute.

So, sixteenth note sextuplets at 60BPM are equal to straight sixteenth notes at 90BPM.

Now that you've seen the math behind it, I'll let you know that a simpler way would be to take the tempo you are playing the polyrhythm at and multiply it by 1.5 to get the equivalent tempo for straight sixteenth notes.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Feb 12, 2014,
Basically, you take the number of notes per beat that you have currently, and divide it by the number of notes per beat you want to have. (so 24/16 or 1.5 in your case, as stated by stoneshaker). This can be used with any note grouping, half notes to eighth note triplets, quintuplets to quarter notes, anything.
bpm doesn't apply to subdivisions of the beat.

If you're thinking of setting the metronome to click on every single note strike, that's really defeating the purpose of practicing rhythms. You need to keep the click on the downbeat and practice playing the subdvisions without assistance.
That wasn't his question, cd graves and I don't think he believes bpm applies to the subdivisions of the beat, but the second paragraph of your post is absolutely correct.

What he asked us is what tempo he'd have to play straight sixteenth notes at in order to match the actual frequency of notes played if he were to play sixteenth note sextuplets at a lower tempo. That's all. More of a math question than a music question, really.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Feb 12, 2014,
well then its simple math: 24 strikes in a 4/4 measure of sextuplets, and 16 16ths. That's a 3:2 ratio, multiply the bpm 1.5 to "convert". I'm not sure what the purpose would be, unless someone is doing some wacky metric modulation.
He's probably trying to incorporate some kind of a tempo change into a song he's writing. That's the only reason I can think of to make this kind of calculation, and even then, there are other ways to change tempo. It's either that or he's trying to get a rough idea of how fast he can play, maybe? I don't know, maybe he's like "well if I can play sextuplets at this tempo I can play straight sixteenth notes at this tempo."