Okay, so a few of you saw I got a Krank Rev 1 yesterday. Sadly, it has some issues and is getting sent back for repairs. But, not before I got a chance to play a little. My Randall RX120RH volume is set to 8. I consider that bedroom level. It's not overly loud. But the Krank, it wasn't even at 2, and it was blowing my Randall out of the water. It's LOUD!! So, what my question is, is are all 120w tube amps that loud at 2? Or is it just Krank? There is no absolute quiet, with this amp. With the volume at 0, I can still hear my guitar through it. And it gets loud almost instantly. It's not a gradual thing. Are all tube amps like this?
Not all, but generally tube amps are much louder than solid states of the same wattage.

Holy shit man, you can crank them that loud at home? Jealous.

Good luck with the Krank, I'm assuming Tony was fair?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
My first amp was a Marshall AVT50 112 combo that I had to crank all the way up in a 3 piece band and it would still get lost. Mids on 10.

My first tube amp was an AC15 and I can't begin to explain how much louder and better that amp could cut the mix playing the same tunes.

Don't know the science behind it but tube amps get stupid loud sometimes. I gigged a tiny terror in a rock band and it wasn't even half way up and was getting some great stage volume. Even with a loud drummer banging on his Zildjian Z customs.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by classicrocker01
Not all, but generally tube amps are much louder than solid states of the same wattage.

Holy shit man, you can crank them that loud at home? Jealous.

Good luck with the Krank, I'm assuming Tony was fair?

Well, my solid state at 8 isnt that loud. It has a short in it somewhere. But, the Krank, I could crank it llouder if I was in my garage. However, we live in an apartment. Up and downstairs is ours. But, the Krank, I can't play it that loud. I was asking because it doesn't seem like it has a bedroom level. Just quiet, then loud. What atbou lower wattage amps? Like the Randall Diavlo RD45? Are those more bedroom friendly?
my Acoustic 270R is ridiculously loud, same with my Kustom Charger 15 those are both solid state amps. my non-MV sunn 1200S i can't even get past 1.5 without neighbors complaining.

it really depends on the amp and how well it was built and what the response is. most modern SS amps compared to tube amp will seem 'quiet', but that is not a very fair consideration across the board. technically a 'watt is a watt'
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Maybe I should buy and attenuator, then. Something to keep the noise at bay.
in general, tube amps seem to be louder. a clear real life example is that my best friends band used to gig. the lead guitarist used a 25 watt hybrid fender champ (tube 6l6 power section putting out 25 watts) or a 40 watt fender hot rod.

the rythm guitarist ignored all suggestions to invest 300-500 in a good amp USED tube amps and bought a 299 dollar fender frontman 212 solid state. those are known for being kinda crappy.

after the honey moon phase and about 3 gigs later, he was immidiately pissed off. he could never be as loud as the 25 watt 1x12. god forbid the 40 watt hot rod. boost pedals everything. and of course it sounded crappier.
___

clear cut reason. there are a lot of factors to this, such as overdriving the tubes, build wuality, design, speaker, cab, etc....

but i have found 99% of the time a tube amp will be louder than a solid state amp. there are exceptions - there are some very well desined and LOUD SS amps out there such as a roland jazz chorus. big old loud amps. good amps too.

but yes, a 100 watter? shit man thats a whole lotta amp. a real amp. that randall is a toy. i mean randall makes some grown man status amp too, but i would not take their solid states seriously.

on another note - its not just amp wattage. some amps "taper" better than others with the volume knobs. some amps just seem to play better at lower volumes, and others seem to go from 0.5 to 8 REAL fast. like barely touching the knob.

when i bought my 40 watter, i tested anything from 5- 50 watts. i thought i wanted a lower wattage amp. but after trying amps in my price range with power scaling (like the rebels) and stuff like the tubemeister, the Tweaker seemed to work for me the best ad lower volumes. especially after a tube change.

i thought i wanted 15-20 watts but bought 40, just because that specific amp just seemed to work better for me.

there are no absolutes really. only guidelines. in short, yes, tube amps are more likely louder and no two amps (different models) will react the same.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
An attenuator would be fine, just be warned it's not going to allow you to dime it or anything and still sound great, but for light attenuation to knock a little off, it would be fine.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Okay, so, how does everyone who owns a tune amp, manage to play at room level? Surely not everyone has a place to crank the thing up.
not at all. i have a 40 watt and a 2x12. i did this so that if i ever do gig, in any setting, im good but i can still manage it over a 4x12setting.

not only doesnt amp do well in a bedroom setting, but i live in a thin walled apartment. to turn up that much louder, u stuff my amp in the closet and shut the door. allows me to turn up another 2 notches or so.

if i really really couldnt manage, i would have surely bought another setup.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I turn the volume down
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
I turn the volume down

Sorry, I thought I was more clear. This thing doesn't turn down. It goes from quiet to loud. Like flicking on a switch.
Like I said, this would be the proper use of an attenuator, to just knock a little of the volume off.

Or, you could put an EQ pedal in the loop and turn the level down.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by ikey_
not at all. i have a 40 watt and a 2x12. i did this so that if i ever do gig, in any setting, im good but i can still manage it over a 4x12setting.

not only doesnt amp do well in a bedroom setting, but i live in a thin walled apartment. to turn up that much louder, u stuff my amp in the closet and shut the door. allows me to turn up another 2 notches or so.

if i really really couldnt manage, i would have surely bought another setup.

Lol, my closet has a mirror on the outside. If I put it in the closet, it would probably break the glass.
Check my edit. Doesn't it have a loop volume too?
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Check my edit. Doesn't it have a loop volume too?

Are you asking if the effects loop itself has a volume control?
Just looked at your NAD pics again, it doesn't. My Rev Jr. has an independent loop volume control, so I thought yours might as well. In that case, get an EQ pedal, run it in the loop, and use the volume slider on the pedal to tame the volume a bit. An EQ is an excellent tone-shaping tool anyways, it's always a worthwhile addition.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Just looked at your NAD pics again, it doesn't. My Rev Jr. has an independent loop volume control, so I thought yours might as well. In that case, get an EQ pedal, run it in the loop, and use the volume slider on the pedal to tame the volume a bit. An EQ is an excellent tone-shaping tool anyways, it's always a worthwhile addition.

Thanks for all the help, man. I have an MXR 10 band eq showing up in a couple of days. I'll be sure to do that.
Hope all goes well, keep us updated on how the amp fares
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Hope all goes well, keep us updated on how the amp fares

Will do.
My Krank is also powerful sounding at 2 with the volume and it's "only" 50 watts. Just remember that wattage has little effect on volume output, and loudness isn't everything either, it's how you play
Quote by JGM258
My Krank is also powerful sounding at 2 with the volume and it's "only" 50 watts. Just remember that wattage has little effect on volume output, and loudness isn't everything either, it's how you play

That's true. But, if the amps lowest volume is rattling the walls, it depends very little on how you play. Lol, you're still pissing the neighbors off.
keep in mind that i think normal human speaking is like 90 DB, and like a aircraft jet engine is like 120-130 DB and beyond that is borderline hearing damage.

guitar amps fall in that 95-120 DB range, even at 1 watt of power.

so yeah. they are all friggin loud. if you pay attention to speaker SPLs, the average guitar speaker outputs 95-103 DB at 1 watt of power, 1 meter away.

sound generally goes up 3 DB for every doubling of power. so:

103 SPL speaker, 20 watt amp=

1 = 103
2= 106
4= 109
8= 112
16 = 115 DB.

if you count overdriving the amp hard =

32 = 118 DB = borderline ears bleeding.

keep going

64 watts = 121 DB

128 watts = 124 DB
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by ikey_
keep in mind that i think normal human speaking is like 90 DB,

60-65db

Sustained exposure to 90-95 db is a hearing loss hazard.

The rest of your post was good though!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 12, 2014,
And having extensive experience with both, I can safely say a high-watt tube amp can easily attain the volume of most jet engines
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

If your tube amp is attaining wall rattling output at a really low volume setting, you *can* replace the volume pot with one that will give you a better taper from low to loud. Some manufacturers put all the volume early on the dial as a sales ploy.

It's possible to run a tube amp at bedroom volumes, but the question becomes, "What's the point?" In this neck of the woods (Los Angeles) even the rock clubs want you to limit your stage volume, so you won't be cranking your tube amp there, either.

At one point we ran a garage band with electronic drums and modeled guitars/keyboards/bass direct into a mixer and from there to headphones/IEMs. Some friends came over to hear the band and were highly amused to hear some quiet tinkling and tappity-tap noises and then a bunch of shouting/singing acapella-style. We handed them some headphones and pointed at a fader. That's when they got the full-on band sound.