I'm wanting to buy a compressor for playing fingerstyle, and two-hand tapping. The fingerstyle I would be playing would be in folkier and pop songs (Of Monsters and Men, acoustic Coldplay, acoustic "strummy" songs but playing them on electric, etc.) in a coffeehouse setting, and I would be using two-handed tapping with either light break-up/distortion, or with mid-high gain.

I know gain already compresses your signal, but when I do tap with fair amounts of distortion, I never really noticed how much... I would prefer it to be as transparent as possible as well.

Closest city: Saskatoon or Winnipeg.

As for a budget, about $130. Either new from Long and Mcquade or Quest Musique, or used.

I know MXR makes a few compressors, from $90 to $130, and I've heard good things about them in the past.

However, I was also interested in building a pedal, specifically from BYOC, and with my very limited (read: no) knowledge of building pedals, a compressor shouldn't be that hard to build, right?

Thanks guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I know its twice the budget, but I'm throwing in a vote for the Carl Martin compressor.

I spent a lot on compressors until I found this one. Its the only one I've been 100% satisfied with. I highly recommend it.
I second the DynaComp. I compared it to more expensive compressors and actually preferred it
boss compressor sustainer. also, the dynacomp is a great deal

though i dislike compressors for guitar.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
H.B.E. Compressor retro... Really sweet piece!!!
I third the dynacomp. I sold it 4 times after forum recommendations to try out other supposidly "much better" pedals and keep going back to it. If you want total transparency though look elsewhere. I always hear about noise but through my rigs I've never had an issue.
If you want transparent, don't even consider MXR.

If your budget is flexible, you can get a used Diamond Compressor for about $150 or $160 on eBay. This is an extremely popular comp for its transparency.

Alternatively, there is the Mooer Yellow Comp is a cheaper clone of the Diamond. It's not a 100% clone, but it's really damn good considering the price.

Popular option out of the way, my favorite compressors are the Earthquaker The Warden, and the Maxon CP9 Pro+. These you'll also have to find a good deal on used. They are very high quality, and they have limiting properties, meaning they "compress" the way, IMO, a compressor should, and not just half ass country twang compression like you'd use an MXR for.

The Boss CS-3 also is kind of a limiter, and I own one, but I'm not sure I'd recommend one, because I haven't had good experiences with mine at high volumes. It works great at low volumes, but then starts to not play nice. Could very well just be mine, but I have to mention it. It's cheap enough to try out, in any case.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just my 311 cents, if you want a cheap compressor get a 3632.
Or a koji comp if you absolutely want something compact.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you want a compressor where you can't even tell its on, but one of the fancy boutique ones. If you actually want a compressed sound, get a dynacomp
Quote by 757ian123
If you want a compressor where you can't even tell its on, but one of the fancy boutique ones. If you actually want a compressed sound, get a dynacomp

Its weird what some people ask for these days. Go straight to the boutique stuff people rarely use and skip over the stuff thats been used on countless records for decades that probably got you wanting the pedal in the first place. It comes up in every thread like this.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 12, 2014,
Offworld, you were spot on. Theres somebody selling one locally (an 8 hour drive is local ) for $150. I'm going to go into Long and McQuade is Saskatoon in the next week or so and see what they have used; and hopefully grab an amp while I'm at it.

Second question: What's the difference between optical compressors, and compressors that don't say that they're optical? Is one more "transparent" than the other?

Again, thanks guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by cheesefries
Its weird what some people ask for these days. Go straight to the boutique stuff people rarely use and skip over the stuff thats been used on countless records for decades that probably got you wanting the pedal in the first place. It comes up in every thread like this.

Yep. The classics got their reputation for a reason. But of course the boutique fanboys will tell you "oh the pro's only use Boss because its easier to find a replacement if something breaks"