Hi, I've been looking into new pickups to replace the Burstbucker 1 and 2 on my 2013 Gibson SG 60's tribute. I've been looking into the Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader for the bridge position. What would be a good match for the neck? I play anything from blues, Eric clapton, and led zeppelin to Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold (Avenged Sevenfold being my favorite bans). I would like to go for passive pickups because I don't want to go through the whole $400 passive to active pickup modification. I like the clean tones you can get with the SH-8 and also the great distorted crunches. What Seymour Duncan pickup would you recommend for my neck position? Also; I did not purchase the sh-8 yet so any other recommendations are appreciated.
Budget: $200-$220 (I can get the sh-8 in bridge position for $79.95 so that would leave me with $140 for another pickup and installation.)
Currently a Marshall 15 watt but getting a Fender Mustang III (v.2) 100 wat in a couple weeks
With Invaders, the only thing you'll sound like is Sevenfold. Not a terribly versatile pickup.

As for versatility, I think Alnico 2 pups work best. Anything with A2 mags can cover a broad range of sounds. A5 sounds fatter, but isn't as tight. Ceramics are super tight, but can't do cleans as well as the other two and sound pretty narrow with their tone, don't respond as drastically to EQ changes.

My recommendation:

A2 if you play a lot of styles.
A5 if you're gearing towards "cleaner" styles that don't have as much gain.
Ceramic for straight up metal.
Quote by MrPopTarted
Currently a Marshall 15 watt but getting a Fender Mustang III (v.2) 100 wat in a couple weeks

Also, I'd recommend a tube amp before swapping pickups. Pickup changes won't be as noticeable through solid state amps. Blackstar HT or Marshall DSL, the lower wattage versions if you're on a tight budget.
So maybe a ceramic for bridge and an a2 in the neck position will give me the best versatility and metal crunch.
And if we're talking tube amps I can go for a 600-700 dollar budget. I hear black star is very good for metal. What do you recommend for relatively cheap tube amps?
The only good cheap ones I can ever find are the Blackstar HT, Marshall DSL, and Fender Hot Rod series.

I like the HT the best, true mids on the dirt and has a good clean. Overall I'd compare the DSL and HT first before deciding because they sound very different.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell

As for versatility, I think Alnico 2 pups work best. Anything with A2 mags can cover a broad range of sounds. A5 sounds fatter, but isn't as tight. Ceramics are super tight, but can't do cleans as well as the other two and sound pretty narrow with their tone, don't respond as drastically to EQ changes.

My recommendation:

A2 if you play a lot of styles.
A5 if you're gearing towards "cleaner" styles that don't have as much gain.
Ceramic for straight up metal.

I think you have alnico II and V backwards there. V is hotter, tighter and more versatile, in most instances (and with everything else being equal).

I agree with not going with invaders- fair enough if you were in an A7X tribute band or something like that, but with a wide range of stuff (especially a fair bit of lighter, classic rock type stuff) the invaders just aren't going to be that great. something more medium output would be the thing.

I also agree with getting a tube amp. I'd point out that the blackstar HT is hybrid rather than all-tube, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 12, 2014,
I'm not an Invader fan -- I ripped two of them out of a custom Flying V a few years ago and replaced them with Tom Andersons. I think they're still in the accessory compartment of that guitar's case.

You might look at the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup instead. It's hot, but it's very versatile. http://www.suhr.com/suhr-guitar-pickups/aldrich-pickups/

One other suggestion: Don't try to find a "match" neck pickup for your bridge pickup; and don't think that you have to use what some manufacturer calls a "neck" pickup for the neck position. You'll usually just end up with something muddy. I have a single-coil size DiMarzio Fast Track II rail humbucker in the neck position of one of my LPs. It's originally designed to be a very hot Strat bridge pickup and it's *much* louder than the full-size humbucker bridge pickup in that particular guitar, but in the neck position the smaller form factor (and corresponding magnetic flux area is much more focused -- the bottom end is far less muddy. Try things that are a bit outside the box.
The Invader is probably my least favorite pickup ever made. I'll take the stock pickups in pretty much anything over those things. Do not like
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
IMO, the Invader would *work*, but it's probably not the best choice. I currently have one in my main guitar. It gets the job done and doesn't sound bad, but I do regret not getting something else.

You should probably look into something with a bit lower output to get more versatility, then just use a boost if you need massive output for something. I haven't tried enough pickups to really recommend anything in particular, but I think you might want to reconsider the Invader.

I've been jonesing for some lace alumitones recently, they seem pretty versatile from what I've seen. Maybe look into that?
Why not Dimarzio? I'd go with Distortion on the bridge and PAF Joe on the neck.

With SD - get the bundled deal Jazz neck and SH-4 bridge or maybe SH-6. The Invader is OK - I customized buddy's guitar (similar to Les Paul type) with it and it sounded good although a tad fizzy and bassy for my taste. I am a bit crazy in that department though - my go to for screaming metal is the X2N.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think you have alnico II and V backwards there. V is hotter, tighter and more versatile, in most instances (and with everything else being equal).

Yeah I'm derping.

Alnico 2 has more rounded highs, a lot of people attribute it to bass but I'm not so sure. The Pearly Gates and Gibson 59 LP recreations (which sound exactly the same to me) I'd cite as examples of the stinging top end you can find in an alnico 2.

Mainly I just go for either 2 or 5 with low output. I hate the high output fad. Amps and pedals have plenty of gain these days.

I think I attributed the non-tightness to the JB, which is a great pickup, but just not tight enough for metal. I think any pickup can get tight so long as the output is low. Only ceramics I find can maintain tightness with high output.
I think it depends on the pickup- it's the "everything else being equal" thing, and very rarely is everything else equal. I agree the JB isn't terribly tight. I'm not sure I've tried any alnico II pickups which I'd have called tight, any i've tried had that slightly flubby bass which didn't seem as tight as the alnico Vs I've tried (and they tend not to be as tight as ceramic).

I think the high output thing is overdone, too- but if I needed a guitar which I was only going to use for the balls to the wall stuff, I still prefer higher output. Normally higher output pickups are more voiced for high gain and hold together better in those situations, in my experience anyway.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?