Page 1 of 2
Hello every one. Like soooo many others. Looking for your valued input . I have reached a point in my playing that I feel Justified in ending this Extremely frustrating search for tone.
So what am I looking for?good question. Lets start with what I have

PRS CU 22/Gibson SG/Epi Lp w seymore pups/Early 70's Fender Bassman/Fender HRD/Oarnge ppc 2x12
And some fuzz-od-univib- Chorus-pedals.

The music I play now is Blues/Rock/Hard Rock/Prog Rock. The band i'm in is covering Sabbath,Zeppelin,Free,BTO, Wilson Pickett, Carlos santana ,Hendrix,Trower.But we're going to be doing other more Progress of stuff and also some originals. I Play lead and Rhythm.

What i've been looking at/ Considering are, Mesa Road King ii v2, Marshall JVM HJS, Fuchs ODS.
The Mesa and the Fuchs Are just not available to try out by me. It sucks,nobody carries them..
I'd like to spend no more than 3k +or- Within reason. Also, I live about 1 1/2 south of Chicago IL.

Anybody have Experience with these amps? Is there something better out there?
Thank you for taking the time to read this. And thank you for any input.
What are some of the hard rock/prog rock bands you'd like to base your tone on?

At this point, Splawn comes to mind, sounds like you like a little more British flavor. The Road King is an awesome versatile amp as well, I really really liked it.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
What are some of the hard rock/prog rock bands you'd like to base your tone on?

At this point, Splawn comes to mind, sounds like you like a little more British flavor. The Road King is an awesome versatile amp as well, I really really liked it.

Progressive bands such as, Emerson lake and Palmer, Pink floyd,Rush, think kind of Progressive rock jam band.
I've been leaning towards the road king because of all the options that it comes with. But there really arn't any good sound clips of it in my style of music and there's no where for me to try it out.
IMO:

Road King is just a fatter sounding rec with slightly more mids. At least to my ears. I personally don't think its worth its hype.

The JVM HJS is a JVM with a gate. The JVM is okay, but its always sounded on the thinner side. I do like it though. Very versatile.

Fuchs ODS sounds up your alley. I like the sound.
Sounds like you want something of the Marshall flavor, more in the vintage realm than modern. An old Marshall (Plexi, JCM800) might not be bad, of course finding one in good shape can be a trick. A Vintage Modern might do it. There are several offerings from Splawn, as well as pretty much everybody (everyone wants a piece of the Marshall action).

Do you want a dedicated clean channel, or are you willing to play with your volume knob to get some cleans?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Sounds like you want something of the Marshall flavor, more in the vintage realm than modern. An old Marshall (Plexi, JCM800) might not be bad, of course finding one in good shape can be a trick. A Vintage Modern might do it. There are several offerings from Splawn, as well as pretty much everybody (everyone wants a piece of the Marshall action).

Do you want a dedicated clean channel, or are you willing to play with your volume knob to get some cleans?

Admittedly I just bought a Quickrod with a smallbox 4x12 yesterday.
Another job for a Randall RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dementiacaptain

I haven't had a chance to play a JCM 800 but I have a pedal That's supposed to emulate one.
As far as the cleans go. I do either or. A single channel is out. I like having the option to do both.
I'm really looking for a fat sound on the leads.
Don't get me wrong. My sound right now is alright.

You know when you walk into a bar with a live band and they're really good but their sound is just good.
Then you go to the next bar with a band and your like "Holy Shit" do you hear that guitar!! No matter how skilled they are they just have that sound. That's what i'm looking for!! I can't explain it any other way. But i'm sure you know what I mean.
Well the need for two channels cuts your options down a bit, but Splawn would still be a good option, the Quickrod I am thinking. Laney has the VH100, that would probably be a good option. Hiwatt may have something you would be interested in, I don't know about there stuff as much though.

It is funny, there isn't a Marshall I kind actually recommend, except maybe a JCM2000 DSL. I dislike the JVM, but maybe it is up your alley.
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
IMO:

Road King is just a fatter sounding rec with slightly more mids. At least to my ears. I personally don't think its worth its hype.

The JVM HJS is a JVM with a gate. The JVM is okay, but its always sounded on the thinner side. I do like it though. Very versatile.

Fuchs ODS sounds up your alley. I like the sound.

The JVM 410JS is a completely different amp than the regular JVM series.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The JVM 410JS is a completely different amp than the regular JVM series.

What all did they do to it?
Quote by dementiacaptain
What all did they do to it?

It has the AFD channels and a few other tweaks. I don't remember the specifics but I do remember the AFD Channel being one of the biggest
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard
Another job for a Randall RM100.

+1

i think a splawn would do ya right too. or a bogner
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
5150iii 100w....
I don't think you necessarily need to go that high end. A Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or DSL100 should give you everything that you need.

Otherwise, Splawn Quick Rod.

Other stuff just to check out:
Orange Rockerverb MkII
Mesa Royal Atlantic
Mesa Stiletto
Peavey Classic
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you may want to look at a Peavey JSX or a XXX. either will give you the tones you want. by the way nice to see another guy that plays similar stuff to me. can't remember the last time I saw BTO mentioned
Quote by monwobobbo
you may want to look at a Peavey JSX or a XXX. either will give you the tones you want. by the way nice to see another guy that plays similar stuff to me. can't remember the last time I saw BTO mentioned

Ha,yea. We started this band covering Sabbath and Zeppelin. We are almost ready to start playing out and thought we should add a mix of classic rock and blues tunes. But as a guitar player I also want to do some Instrumental music as well.
Ya know,i've had a few Peavey amps along the way and didn't like them at all. Mind you,they were solid state amps. But because of those Experiences I never consider Peavy. Maybe I should check one out. I'm sure they'll have one of those at the local GC. Thanks
Splawn quick rod or bogner shiva or a clone of those old marshall super leads.
A clone, not a marshall's.
Clones are better for that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
It has the AFD channels and a few other tweaks. I don't remember the specifics but I do remember the AFD Channel being one of the biggest

the crunch channel is modded to be a little similar to Slashs AFD. the reverb was removed(since satch has his own sig reverb witch he likes) and replaced with 4 noise gates(1 for each channel) and has a mid shift switch which probably only adds/removes a cap from the OD channels. other than that, its the same JVM410. and really, the noise gates make the JVM410JS a really good option since the JVM410H sounds amazing, but is noisy as all hell at its good tone settings.

since you want high end, Im supposing you dont have price point in mind. for what you play youd want a versatile amp. the JVM410JS is a great option. Another option that is often overlooked is the Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK2. the triamp is one of the best sounding amps Ive ever heard and does pretty much any sound. and its quite awesome to just stare at and bring to a gig. only downside may be that this amp is MASSIVE.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
JSX is a good call. Save you a buttload of money too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Never thought I'd see the day GG&A would recommend a JSX for a $3K budget
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Well they are a good amp that would suit him, they just also happen to be a cheap used amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's not the point Cath, the point is we're all some broke SOBs and have to live vicariously through others

At this point TS, you really should try out as much as you can. I much prefer a Splawn for the sounds you listed, but I'm a bit of a Splawn fanboy, others may prefer a JSX, JVM, Road King, ect. At that price point really most amps will sound good, it's just a question of which your ears prefer. We can suggest things to try though
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by Robbgnarly

A JVM and an AFD in one amp.

Sounds like something out of a horror flick.
I think Traynor might come to mind, they've been emulating the JCM800 well for a while.
Might be worthwhile to look at the Egnater Tweaker as well. The Carvin Vai line might also pose some interest, or even the V3.
On the expensive side I'd say Mesa Mark IV or maybe a Fryette Pitbull.
There is something I forgot, see about a Fryette Pitbull 45. What a sexy amp, super nice clean and awesome drive sound.
Quote by Ippon
For $3000: Used Bogner Ecstasy 101B or CAA OD 100 SE Plus *and* a Used Mesa Boogie 2 channel Rec.

I just checked out some sound clipps on that Bogner. All I can say is WOW.
I wonder if GC has one of those laying around I can plug into! I've gotta try that one!
Quote by SpiralArchitec7
I just checked out some sound clipps on that Bogner. All I can say is WOW.
I wonder if GC has one of those laying around I can plug into! I've gotta try that one!

Where are you? Best to call the shops first.
Quote by Ippon
Where are you? Best to call the shops first.

A little south of Joliet IL (southern Chicago land area) there are a few guitar shops Close by.,including a GC.
Quote by classicrocker01
Never thought I'd see the day GG&A would recommend a JSX for a $3K budget

as cathbard said it will do the job. just cuz someone has that much to spend doesn't mean that the right gear can't be had for less. when giving advice recommending something that will do the job should come first. how many times do we tell some poor poster that he needs to save more money for an amp or guitar. well sometimes it can be less.
Quote by Ippon
For $3000: Used Bogner Ecstasy 101B or CAA OD 100 SE Plus *and* a Used Mesa Boogie 2 channel Rec.

I haven't been able to find a Bogner xtc to try out yet but,i'm loving
The sound clips i've been hearing. This amp might be exactly what i've been
Looking for. Witch do you prefer,the 6l6 or the el34 version?
Quote by Ippon
El34!

What is the sonic difference between the two? Keep in mind
that the best amp i've ever owned or played through is,my
Fender HRD.
the Bogner being a 100W head, I dont think it would make much difference about el34 or 6l6 unless you plan on cranking the volume to ear melting levels. This amp isnt meant to have any poweramp distortion, so all tone comes from the preamp. before any power amp distortion appears, 6l6 and el34 tubes will sound exactly the same.

edit: if you DO feel suicidal to crank a 100W amp, then after clipping occurs, 6l6 will be tight and smooth while el34 would sound fuzzy and somewhat more open. el34 would clip before a 6l6.

where the power tube difference comes to mind is in low watt amps without fx loops. youd be more prone to crank a 20W or less amp. and most fx pedals sound like turd in an fx loop when the power amp is clipping.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Feb 16, 2014,
the Bogner being a 100W head, I dont think it would make much difference about el34 or 6l6 unless you plan on cranking the volume to ear melting levels. This amp isnt meant to have any poweramp distortion, so all tone comes from the preamp. before any power amp distortion appears, 6l6 and el34 tubes will sound exactly the same.

edit: if you DO feel suicidal to crank a 100W amp, then after clipping occurs, 6l6 will be tight and smooth while el34 would sound fuzzy and somewhat more open. el34 would clip before a 6l6.

where the power tube difference comes to mind is in low watt amps without fx loops. youd be more prone to crank a 20W or less amp. and most fx pedals sound like turd in an fx loop when the power amp is clipping.[/QUOTE

Fair enough but this amp can be ran at 50w or 100w. My HRD is 40w I believe,and I crank that
Amp quite a bit at practice. So I think I would be running the Bogner at 1/2 power with a good
amount of volume. Enough to make a difference between 6l6 and el34??
I haven't compared the two versions of that particular amp, but in my experience EL34s have a more snarly mid sound, where 6L6s have a bit smoother, sound
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Page 1 of 2