For the longest time I just learned songs and practices what sounded good to me. I was always in advanced courses at school and note and musical theory learning just seemed like more school. At this point in my guitar playing I can confidentially say I'm pretty decent. But that's the problem. I seem to be stuck in a rut. I went back to lessons but because I know the fretboard so well and can play a lot of chords my teacher moves at a quick pace theory wise. It's very hard for me to go back and learn what scale I'm playing, chord progressions, etc. I really want to learn all this stuff but i don't know where to begin. I learned a lot of hendrix and frusciante while learning without note names chord names, scales used etc. what can motivate me into learning this theory what are some ways to slowly tackle this studying part of guitar because I really want to become a better guitarist and musician. For example: say I'm playing to little wing I can improv all over the fretboard yet I couldn't tell you what I am playing. It really bothers me because I feel inferior which I should and I really want to learn. Thanks for the help!

Tom
First of all, good on you for trying to better yourself as a musician. You may have more luck looking through the Music Theory forum on this website though. Here's a quick link for you though, should tell you exactly what you're looking for and more.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

Best of luck Tom,

Mark
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
Quote by tzing2589
but because I know the fretboard so well and can play a lot of chords my teacher moves at a quick pace theory wise.

So talk to your teacher about it. You're not just a receptacle in to which this person pours information. Tell them that you're having trouble keeping up and that you would like to learn this stuff more in depth at a pace you can manage. If they don't respond to this need then axe them and get another teacher.

Always remember: you are a customer, paying for a service that should be fit for your purposes. If that service doesn't match your needs as a learner then do something about it with your teacher. If you find that the service doesn't match your needs after this then go somewhere else, exactly the same way you would with any other product or service.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by tzing2589
For the longest time I just learned songs and practices what sounded good to me. I was always in advanced courses at school and note and musical theory learning just seemed like more school. At this point in my guitar playing I can confidentially say I'm pretty decent. But that's the problem. I seem to be stuck in a rut. I went back to lessons but because I know the fretboard so well and can play a lot of chords my teacher moves at a quick pace theory wise. It's very hard for me to go back and learn what scale I'm playing, chord progressions, etc. I really want to learn all this stuff but i don't know where to begin. I learned a lot of hendrix and frusciante while learning without note names chord names, scales used etc. what can motivate me into learning this theory what are some ways to slowly tackle this studying part of guitar because I really want to become a better guitarist and musician. For example: say I'm playing to little wing I can improv all over the fretboard yet I couldn't tell you what I am playing. It really bothers me because I feel inferior which I should and I really want to learn. Thanks for the help!

Tom

If I'm having trouble with techniques, I use videos to help me learn. It's the easiest way to follow the right technique. I also use a site that allows me to cut step by step procedure so I can follow better. You can try the site and explore how your technique can improve.

here's a link of one video I learned through that site:

http://www.stepup.io/videos/0aa510f2510158b1
Thanks for all the replies! It really helped me with my lessons. Thanks all!