Hey all,

I'm an Australian guitarist, so gear is pretty scarce at good prices here. I've been playing guitar for a few years, but kind of lost my way a while back. Moved to Melbourne and have been back with a vengeance and I'd like to look into joining a band with the hopes of doing some small (or not so small oneday) gigs. This is kind of a long post, I'm not looking to get anyone else's tone, so I sort of have to be descriptive.

I've got an American Strat and an RGD2127z as my main nice guitars, a couple of others as sort of backups.

Used to be a bit of a metal guy, still love Dream Theater but I can probably just play that through my Eleven Rack, I won't sweat over the amp not being able to get that tone.

I like a good clean tone, but nothing too chimey like a Twin Reverb. I like it to be warm-ish and just on the verge of break up all the time, so if I pick a little bit harder or crank the volume on my guitar I get a little crunch.

I love fuzz, I'm going to pick up a vintage Big Muff (or a clone, budget's kind of tight) in the next few months I think. Other than that I would only use a medium-light flanger on the clean channel and some sort of analogue delay before the pre-amp. I like the delay to respond very strongly to dynamics and go absolutely mental when the crunch starts kicking in. I rarely use delay with higher gain tones though.

Dynamics are VERY important. I want to use my pick and volume knob to control attack and gain. I want to be able to go almost clean with a light touch and low guitar volume and get pretty saturated when I go all out.

I've really liked the sound of Orange lately and was looking at a used or new Dual Terror and a 2x12 cab. But I also saw an Orange AD30H (single channel, BIG master and gain knobs, there seems to be a different, newer, version) used with a 2x12 cab for $1500 negotiable. Not sure what that sounds like but I'm thinking I'd like to try it I've heard similar amps on youtube and they sounded promising.

I also found a Mesa F-50 combo. LOVE Mesas sound for high gain, I think I'd be able to get pretty close to Dream Theater with that. But I don't know how it'll do for what I want at the moment. It also has reverb, but I'm not sure I'd use it.

Happy to look at anything though, even if it's a little unconventional.

Thanks for any suggestions!
The Mesa F series amps are great. Also look at the Peavey Classic 30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sounds like orange to me based on you said. they work that edge of clean/dirt quite well. i have the dual terror and love it. i want a RoV at some point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
sounds like orange to me based on you said. they work that edge of clean/dirt quite well. i have the dual terror and love it. i want a RoV at some point.

Seconding this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Mesa F series amps are great. Also look at the Peavey Classic 30

Classic 30's are pretty cheap new by the looks at things. That's right up my price range. I never thought of them as being in the same league as the Orange or Mesa though. Would you say they were?

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Glad you love your Terror. I'd really like to get a smaller lunchbox style amp. Space is a bit of an issue at the moment. Still, if this bigger Orange is a steal...
The Orange AD30H is much more amp than the Dual Terror. The single channel Orange you are looking at is a pretty rare find these days. Now they are making the AD30HTC (twin channel) which is just two of the same channels. I would def get the AD30 over the Dual Terror or the Classic 30. I can't comment on the Mesa.
Yeah dude totally back the duel terror, have frequently gigged with it + travelled interstate for the last 2 years or so and haven't had a single problem. Actually I managed to snag the head brand new for just under a grand in from Five Star Music in Ringwood which is worth checking out too.
Somebody bought the ad30 just as I was checking if it was still available.

So that's a shame. Wondering if the Mesa is too modern for me at the moment. Might have to wait to see what crops up.
Sounds like you're on the right track with the Orange(s). Try Egnater Tweaker if you can, I think it might be your cheaper ticket that will work well for what you're after.

If you need good clean and slightly hairy - get the Marshall Class5 if major wattage is not an issue.
Quote by theaterinterior
Classic 30's are pretty cheap new by the looks at things. That's right up my price range. I never thought of them as being in the same league as the Orange or Mesa though. Would you say they were?

Glad you love your Terror. I'd really like to get a smaller lunchbox style amp. Space is a bit of an issue at the moment. Still, if this bigger Orange is a steal...

They are great amps in their own right and can get a nice crunch sound with a boost as well, not that they need it. It's right up your alley