Hi Guys
So I'm about to buy a new guitar for some studio and live work and due to the limited amount of good guitars available in my country, I'm either going to have to go with an Ibanez GRG170DX or RG370DX (for $30 more). I currently have a GSZ120 and while it is a pretty good guitar, it has that entry level feel to it and I really want something better. The GRG170DX looks awesome, but I heard it is notorious for that tremelo putting it out of tune with the slightest touch due to it being non-locking. The RG370DX would be perfect, except the only colour available is the blh (Blue Haze), which is this atrocious looking powder blue. If the RG370DX was ANY other colour this would have been an easy choice, however I think maybe choosing hardware over finish is probably the way to go? I guess I could always customise it with my own stuff, what do you think?
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
I would strongly reccomend the Rg. The 370 is just a 350 without a pickguard afaik, so while it's absolutely hideous, it will sound beautiful. You could also look for a 350dx, which will sound mostly the same and generally look prettier (comes in white usually, has a pearloid pickguard)

I'd strongly reccomend staying away from the GRG's, as all of ibanez's tremolos up until premium have a tendency to go out of tune very easily, and you'll have enough aggravation with an rg with a locking nut, let alone a cheaper guitar without.

These two guitars aren't really comparable at all tbh though. The RG is a standard Ibanez rg with wizard III neck (very very comfortable if you like thin/flat necks) and INF pickups (which are actually fairly nice as far as stock pickups go) and the GRG is a very low end beginner instrument. In general though, the GIO series is widely considered trash for anyone looking to buy an actual ibanez.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Quote by battlespud
I would strongly reccomend the Rg. The 370 is just a 350 without a pickguard afaik, so while it's absolutely hideous, it will sound beautiful. You could also look for a 350dx, which will sound mostly the same and generally look prettier (comes in white usually, has a pearloid pickguard)

I'd strongly reccomend staying away from the GRG's, as all of ibanez's tremolos up until premium have a tendency to go out of tune very easily, and you'll have enough aggravation with an rg with a locking nut, let alone a cheaper guitar without.

These two guitars aren't really comparable at all tbh though. The RG is a standard Ibanez rg with wizard III neck (very very comfortable if you like thin/flat necks) and INF pickups (which are actually fairly nice as far as stock pickups go) and the GRG is a very low end beginner instrument. In general though, the GIO series is widely considered trash for anyone looking to buy an actual ibanez.

Cool thanks man!You have definitely made this decision easier!
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Which bridge does the RG370 have? If it is one of the newer models it should come with the Edge Zero II which is a very good bridge. I have it on one of my RG's and it holds tune really well.

On the other hand, if it comes with the Edge III well... you might as well block it.
Quote by tappooh
Which bridge does the RG370 have? If it is one of the newer models it should come with the Edge Zero II which is a very good bridge. I have it on one of my RG's and it holds tune really well.

On the other hand, if it comes with the Edge III well... you might as well block it.

Yeah it does have an Edge III unfortunately, but I don't really plan on using the Tremelo much so will lock it in place.
Quote by mathiaes
why not both?

Can't afford both at the moment unfortunately it has to be either or, also the import charges and our weak currency make musical instruments extremely expensive in my country.
look i would say RG 370 is much better as it is a floyd rose guitar but i would tell u to try out other guitars as well like the epiphone or maybe ESP as they also sound great but if u only want a guitar out of these two go with RG 370 and look colour dosent matter i hanve ibanez GRG 270 and of the same blue colour as u mentioned
Quote by Twofly
Yeah it does have an Edge III unfortunately, but I don't really plan on using the Tremelo much so will lock it in place.

i dunno if it's available where you are, but if you're going to do that, the rg421 might make more sense?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The EDGE III is a good bridge as long as it's setup properly. Don't abuse it too much and it will stay in tune very well.

The RG421 is a lower end model and this shows mainly in pickups. A 350/370 or 450 will all be far more versatile and have a nicer sound.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Gretsch G5120
Quote by battlespud
The RG421 is a lower end model and this shows mainly in pickups. A 350/370 or 450 will all be far more versatile and have a nicer sound.
This isn't true.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Out of the two, definately go for the RG. Although I like my GRG170DX that I got a fair few years ago, the RG is vastly better. I've blocked the trem on my GRG, so that's how it's still usable :P
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Quote by battlespud
The EDGE III is a good bridge as long as it's setup properly. Don't abuse it too much and it will stay in tune very well.

surely the point of a good floyd is that you can abuse it and stay in tune? if you're not going to abuse the trem i'd query the point of getting a double-locking trem in the first place.

Plus as Emperor's Child succinctly says, what you claimed about the models there just plain isn't true. the 421 is pretty much on par with the 350 and 370 in terms of quality, just it doesn' t have a trem nor a middle pickup, and its body is mahogany instead of basswood. They all seem to have the exact same INF pickups, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The RG421 has the same pickup in the neck that it has in the bridge, whereas the others do not. The single coil on these is pretty nice, and no trem under 1k is going to be "abuseable" Will the Edge III stay in tune as well as an original Edge or an OFR, of course not, if you wan't something like that, you'll have to pay for it. It will stay in tune for normal use as long as it's setup properly, e.g. not being steve vai.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Gretsch G5120
The fact remains that if a locking Floyd Rose vibrato doesn't stay in tune given a massive amount of abuse then it isn't doing its job properly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by battlespud
The RG421 has the same pickup in the neck that it has in the bridge, whereas the others do not.

I don't think it does, and even if it does they're not going to sound the same, position affects the sound a lot.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The fact remains that if a locking Floyd Rose vibrato doesn't stay in tune given a massive amount of abuse then it isn't doing its job properly.

+1. Edge III is surely not a good bridge, I've had it on my previous guitar, ended up blocking it.
Quote by tusharsharma1
look i would say RG 370 is much better as it is a floyd rose guitar but i would tell u to try out other guitars as well like the epiphone or maybe ESP as they also sound great but if u only want a guitar out of these two go with RG 370 and look colour dosent matter i hanve ibanez GRG 270 and of the same blue colour as u mentioned

I'm looking at the ESP LTD EC-100 as well, seems pretty decent and in the same kind of price range, would this be better than an RG370DX?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

+1

Quote by JackovSlayer
I don't think it does, and even if it does they're not going to sound the same, position affects the sound a lot.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?