How do you work out sting skipping ? I would like to use this for arpeggios mostly i have seen people playing it fast but wonder how they work it out and which string to leave out .
String skipping is simply something that happens when you're using larger intervals in your arpeggios. The player doesn't skip strings for the sake of skipping them, it's just that the next note they want is more conveniently located on a non-adjacent string.

Rather than focussing on "which string to leave out" you should simply focus on which notes you want to hit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Rather than focussing on "which string to leave out" you should simply focus on which notes you want to hit.

This. All of this.

Paul Gilbert, probably the biggest exponent of string skipped arpeggios, has always said that he uses string skipping for arpeggios because he prefers the wide variety of sequences and ideas you can get out of them compared to sweeping. It is absolutely a solution to a problem he came across with playing the same notes another way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Only thing I can say is find the string that would be wise to skip on with the arpeggio you playing.
Whats goes around must come down