Ok, I am looking to buy another guitar, of course there is no need for one, but since when does that matter. Current gear is below. I mainly play Opeth-Mastodon~ish music, occasionally playing Hendrix and Floyd, hence the strat.

I am looking for a new guitar preferably with humbuckers, maybe p90s.

Looking to buy used, spending up to $1000, used. I might be able to stretch that, but not by much, I would rather stay under that though.

Right now I am torn between a couple guitars, a used Yamaha SG1000, Gibson SG Standard and a PRS CE. I am open for suggestions, I don't plan on changing tunings too often and do not need a Floyd-style guitar.

Appreciate all the help!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I've played lower model Yamaha's and was always very impressed by the value for money but I don't know about more expensive ones. Between the Gibson and the PRS for me it's the PRS hands down. To me nothing beats a PRS the tone of a PRS is somewhere between a Strat and a Les Paul and I love it but go and play some and see what speaks to you.
Well, both Åkerfeldt and Akesson use PRS guitars, and Åkerfeldt also uses Fenders, Gibsons and BC Rich guitars. Kelliher uses Gibsons. Hinds has used First Act custom shop guitars for some time.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 12, 2014,
Just ignore anyone that says there is a "best tone"

They all have their place.

/end

For a 1k used budget you could try out a bunch of stuff. PRS CE, PRS Mira/Starla, Gibby SG/Explorer/V, ESP doublecuts, Jacksons. the evh wolfgang special is a pretty mean guitar. man you have a great budget for a used guitar. Just go to the store and have at it!
I realize that the budget can get me a variety of options, which brings more questions. I have thought about the PRS CE at length. I have wanted a Custom for a very long time, and I really don't think I can justify spending that much on a guitar (the custom that is).

Recently I was looking at a couple Gibsons, one SG with P90s and another was just a standard Studio. To add to the mix I had a Reverend Manta Ray at one time and got rid of it, great guitar though.

My GAS for the Yammie has been going on for more years than I care to remember. Only problem is I won't have the chance to try it out prior to buying. It is an older guitar so I often wonder about fret life and other age related issues. No offense to GC employees but the couple that I have came across were not the most knowledgeable in those areas.

I guess I was just looking for suggestions or other options to explore. Ultimately I have my mind at least set on the fact I'm looking for double cut, humbuckers and non trem. Everything else is open.
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by bobafettacheese

I guess I was just looking for suggestions or other options to explore. Ultimately I have my mind at least set on the fact I'm looking for double cut, humbuckers and non trem. Everything else is open.

Boom.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-ra-fm/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

+1
There was actually one on GC used a couple weeks ago for around $600. At the time I had just bought the Mesa and was hoping it was still around. I have been very intrigued by the RA series. That blue Reverend is calling my name.
Line 6 M13
Quote by cheesefries

24 3/4 scale. ebony fretboard, locking tuner, graphite nut, railhammer pickups, made in the USA. Specs are killer.

Almost right- all Reverends are currently made in Korea, and inspected by the Americans in Detroit.
ZACK GREEN sets up, inspects, and play tests every Reverend guitar that goes out the door. His initials (ZSG) are on the back of every guitar and bass Reverend makes. A guitarist since 1984, Zack began repairing guitars professionally in 1991. In his spare time, Zack restores vintage arcade games and muscle cars, and maintains a collection of about 50 guitars.

I've got 2 so far, and both a extremely well-made. I have several on my GAS list and have one or two in my targets as I type this...

IMHO, they're among the best MiK guitars out there right now.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Almost right- all Reverends are currently made in Korea, and inspected by the Americans in Detroit.

I've got 2 so far, and both a extremely well-made. I have several on my GAS list and have one or two in my targets as I type this...

IMHO, they're among the best MiK guitars out there right now.

I couldn't find that anywhere on their site so I assumed wrong again
They used to be made in America, but they couldn't keep their costs competitive. They eventually found themselves using a high-end factory in Korea for construction. THEY don't make much noise about it, but if you visit any of the forums or the wiki, they talk about it. I think they like to keep it off the radar as much as possible without actually denying it.

The last Manta Ray I had as very well constructed. I would think that once there production took off they might have to outsource. Th cost at which these guitars were originally selling and there craftsmanship made me wonder how they were so affordable. Granted I don't think they are too much of a household name as of yet, except for the people in the know. Honestly great guitars. I'm really leaning towards another Manta, primarily because it leaves me with a lot of left over change.
Line 6 M13
I'm personally gassing for a Manta Ray 290 or 390 right now.

...along with a Rick Vito, a Reeves Gabrels II, and the new Reeves Gabrels Spacehawk.

There are a couple Reeves on GC for below $500. I believe they are the older models though, still great guitars. I had a 290 once. I loved the sound of those P90s. They were nasty (in a good way).
Line 6 M13
Yeah, the GC RGs are the originals. Great, but not what I'm chasing. 2 RailHammer Chisels with the option to go out of phase plus a wilkinson trem are what I'm after.

I see,you want your cake and eat it too
Can't blame you, those new models are hard to resist.
Line 6 M13