Other
19 11%
Pre-Professional
5 3%
Voters: 178.
Page 1 of 3
*list source: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/majors-careers

Hello,

What's the most common major for UG'ers? How did you pick it?

Here's my story (I'm Chemistry):

I started college under pre-med, and figured Chemistry would dovetail nicely (it did). I also thought that, should I not get into med school, I'd be a forensic scientist. As college went on, I realized forensic science wasn't for me, but I still enjoyed certain aspects of Chemistry. When I took Organic, I discovered I was really good at it and enrolled in the advanced course a year later.

Pros + Learned skills: conceptual & creative problem solving, independent research (with stipends, posters and presentations!), hard work = job well done, discipline, attention to detail, cleanliness (seriously, you spend more time cleaning than doing the experiment).

Cons: anal retention (especially in Analytical Chemistry. squeaky's not clean enough.), endless lab reports...that's all I can think of right now.

*ask me any Chem questions you like.

*responding to previous poll feedback, I've updated my list with "other" and "pre-professional".

*Double and Triple majors go under "other". If you have (a) minor(s), please post.
Last edited by captainsix at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by RPGoof
Computer Science seeing as it was the only major I was interested in. I'm getting a concentration in Computer and Network Security

Computer and Network Security?! They teach that now?!
Quote by captainsix

*ask me any Chem questions you like.

What is the reaction mechanism for the reduction of a nitro group with sodium borohydride?
Quote by captainsix
Computer and Network Security?! They teach that now?!

IF I take the 4 security courses, yeah I get that added on my degree. Classes on Crytopraphy, Computer/Network security, forensics, and software security.
Quote by RPGoof
Computer Science seeing as it was the only major I was interested in. I'm getting a concentration in Computer and Network Security
Are you me
ggg1 ggg3

Wow angusfan, you're so diverse.

I study material engineering.

Since you offered, I have a chem question for you, ts.
Order the following equation:
C2952H4664N812O832S8Fe4 + Na2C4H3O4SAu + Fe(SCN)2 + Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2·6H2O + C4H8Cl2S + C8H12MgN2O8 → C55H72MgN4 + Na3.99Fe(CN)6 + Au0.987SC6H11O5 + HClO4 + H2S

edit: I found this equation here and I also want to know why there were fractions in the number of atoms in some molecules.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Last edited by Guodlca at Feb 12, 2014,
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science/Computer Engineering depending on where I end up transferring
I graduated in Philosophy, but I was a Biology major for the first 2 years and have an overloaded minor. The Philosophy department here is small enough that you have to take on a second discipline to graduate.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering. It was a last minute decision based on the process of elimination.

At my university (and I'm pretty sure the same applies for most universities in the UK), you choose a course when you apply and that's all you do for 4 years. There are no majors, minors or general studies.
Quote by Guodlca
Wow angusfan, you're so diverse.

thanks feel free to AMA
Sail upon the open skies
Shit, I didn't see the categories. Should have picked Social Sciences.

I majored in Communications.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by angusfan16
thanks feel free to AMA

Do you think the massive boom in the technology industry from the 80's-present has had a positive or negative effect on women's status in the workplace?
Quote by TheChaz
Do you think the massive boom in the technology industry from the 80's-present has had a positive or negative effect on women's status in the workplace?

Positive, cuz now we have robots who do our jobs for us and women can spend more time in the kitchen and men in front of TV's, just like how God intended it to be.
Sail upon the open skies
Chemical Engineering

it's a toughie

EDIT: Spanish minor
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Feb 12, 2014,
I never really got how that university minor/major thing works in America.

EDIT: v See, that thing about them being two completely different subjects confuses me a bit.
Last edited by sickman411 at Feb 12, 2014,
I'm getting a degree in English with a music minor.

^Major is your major subject. When I say I have a degree in English, that was my major. The majority of my courses were in English after the general education courses. I have a music minor so I will need a small amount of classes to complete it. Minors are usually used to specialize in areas. Like English Education degrees are essentially an English major with an education minor. Most biology majors with an organismic focus will minor in chemistry. My minor was mostly for fun because I didn't know anything else I'd like to minor in.

Here you can get something called a General Studies degree where you have three minors and no majors. I don't know the benefits of doing that though.

Minors are selected entirely independently from the major. Most people pick related fields for obvious reasons. Other people will minor in unrelated to get a more rounded education or to become educated on something they're interested in but won't be in their field.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm getting a degree in English with a music minor.

^Major is your major subject. When I say I have a degree in English, that was my major. The majority of my courses were in English after the general education courses. I have a music minor so I will need a small amount of classes to complete it. Minors are usually used to specialize in areas. Like English Education degrees are essentially an English major with an education minor. Most biology majors with an organismic focus will minor in chemistry. My minor was mostly for fun because I didn't know anything else I'd like to minor in.

Here you can get something called a General Studies degree where you have three minors and no majors. I don't know the benefits of doing that though.

Minors are selected entirely independently from the major. Most people pick related fields for obvious reasons. Other people will minor in unrelated to get a more rounded education or to become educated on something they're interested in but won't be in their field.

Thanks. Do you do them at the same time/in the same uni?
started with psychology with a goal in mind to be a drug counselor for addicts and all that

now im thinking about finishing this year (2nd year) and then stopping school and going into an apprenticeship for meat cutting. they make 10.88$/hr starting off and once you finish the apprenticeship its 17.70$/hr. im more motivated to live on my own/be independent than schooling.

i do plan on going back eventually so having 2 years done will be nice.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by sickman411
Thanks. Do you do them at the same time/in the same uni?

Yea. A lot of people do their basic classes first. That's basically a year or so of basic classes for a rounded education. Math, science, composition, speech, etc. Then they go into their major and do nothing but that and some minor classes thrown in. Other people will spread out the basic classes since they're usually easier.

You can do all of it at the same school but some people transfer if the degree is more specialized. I'm doing my undergraduate degree and my master's at the same school since they have good programs at both levels. My girlfriend will probably transfer to another university during her undergrad. She's doing organismic biology and wants to eventually do marine biology. This school mostly has good programs for stuff like education and music so she can get the lower level science stuff done here then find a school that offers better science courses and go there until she's done.

Same with my friend who's probably doing botany. He can get standard science courses here then find a school with better science programs. Most people would find a school with the program they want and go there from the start but a lot of stuff changes over the years and educational goals can change.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Feb 12, 2014,
As a biologist I must say, go science!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
I was originally an architecture major, then i became a physics major to go into medicine, but now im a physics major going into the chair force
audio production.

was originally going to a tech school for SCADA (electrical engineering/programming geared for industrial applications). decided to chase pipe dreams instead; better than painting the rest of my life in grey monochrome and feeling miserable about it. i could've made a metric assload of money, but fuck all.
Last edited by Dregen at Feb 12, 2014,
Accounting.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Computer science, and I plan to pursue an additional degree in meteorology after I earn my current degree.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'm studying Music, Jazz Guitar specifically, but it's really just a means for me to get into composition. It's pretty tiring and there's a lot of stuff to do, but it'll be worth it when I'm living in a cardboard box with only an acoustic guitar to my name .
Civil engineering and will probably focus my studies in water rather than the usual structural/geotech stuff. cause in the end, ill end up there whether i study in it or not, but wastewater management jobs want some specifics once in a while. Waste water management = pretty interesting indeed. Anyways, love it!
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Well, seeing as I go to Berklee, it's automatically music.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I did Electrical Engineering with a Physics minor for undergrad, and I'm in my second semester of graduate school for Electrical Engineering.

And to think, in high school I wanted to be a journalist.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Feb 12, 2014,
Page 1 of 3