So here's the thing:me being extremely fast advancing guitar player in music school,my teacher put me in the highest possible group of skill-level so i can challenge myself(it's a jazz ensemble thingy) we're going to perform this sunday,and i got one solo,it's a Bbm 12-bar blues progression

im pretty good in solo's but not quite the skill level of the other guitar in the ensemble(he attends music highschool),and ofcourse not wanting to look like like a total fool i need to impress evryone that i belong in this group,so can some kind,friendly people help me with tips on blues solo's,as well as giving some patterns?

I have 3 or 4 blues progressions to fill in ,and i dont want to get repetitive i can play pretty much anything,so dont mind the difficulty on certain licks or patterns

here's the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYFachqAup4 but for the solo's we go to a swing-type and leave away the kind of "chasing-theme" chorus and its just Bb solo's

TL;DR :need some tips/patterns in soloing in Bbm 12-bar blues pentatonic
Quote by ichiefG13
Drugs

seriously.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
A standard blues solo doesn't not require a ton of skill, just the soul, man.

Do like B.B. King, play one or two notes, put some sweet vibrato on it, and you've got yourself a blues solo
DeVillains!
Blues eh? In that case it doesn't matter what you play, just make a lot of goofy faces.

But really, blues guitar doesn't need to be fast at all or modally complex. Just listen to your playing, use a lot of contrast between legato and stacato, and most importantly, if you play something that sounds off or wrong, STOP and play the exact same thing again. That way it doesn't sound like a mistake.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Ylasto
A standard blues solo doesn't not require a ton of skill, just the soul, man.

Do like B.B. King, play one or two notes, put some sweet vibrato on it, and you've got yourself a blues solo

If you woud listen to the song you would find out that BB style doesnt fit the theme at all
Quote by snipelfritz
Blues eh? In that case it doesn't matter what you play, just make a lot of goofy faces.

But really, blues guitar doesn't need to be fast at all or modally complex. Just listen to your playing, use a lot of contrast between legato and stacato, and most importantly, if you play something that sounds off or wrong, STOP and play the exact same thing again. That way it doesn't sound like a mistake.

The problem is, that the other guitar in the group gets this extreme jazz solo using over 9000 different scales, need to match up with that
Quote by Henrik0706
The problem is, that the other guitar in the group gets this extreme jazz solo using over 9000 different scales, need to match up with that

I'd say part of playing jazz is fitting to the style of the song. Style bro, you can't find that in a music textbook.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Henrik0706

Do you want to be a musician or compare penis sizes?
Sympathy for the devil, that lick which repeats over 10 times or so. Play that.

I have no serious advice, I'm not that diverse of an improviser, but if it's a jazz tinted solo, you could try playing outside (half step up or down for a bar or two)
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
If i were you i'd go with the first guys advice and take a load of drugs. And that's why you don't ask the pit for advice, take it to the Guitar Techniques or Musician Talk Forums.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

With a simple 12 bar blues a Bbminor pentatonic scale would do you just fine. Otherwise, choose melodic tones and chord tones and embellish those.
Or take a couple shots of some irish wiskey or whatever you have there.
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by Jehuty
Do you want to be a musician or compare penis sizes?

Given what TS has said, the latter is way more accurate to what he wants.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Play alot.

Seriously. Play. Alot. It will help build your confidence, and your skills.

Unless you're like my dad ofcourse, he keeps playing the same game and raging all the time, never learning that his internet is not the cause of his misery.
just kill the other guitarist
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Play something simple and groovy because you're squashed for time. Something vintage like this, with lots of space.
This isn't a blues, but this kind of style is pretty easy to use for that kind of thing.
All chord tones with chromatic passing tones. Focusing on chord tones and embellishing them with chromaticism is far more useful than all this scale for every chord business.

Red's solo starts at 2:23 and Coleman's at 3:27
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BDiPiq6EGXM
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Feb 12, 2014,
if you're asking how to improvise, give up.

Scales are useless. Don't look at your frets. Go with your gut and your soul.
Then, you will have understood the meaning of the Blues.
Jam a 1mm or thicker pick in your dick and then play guitar with it. You'll improvise things that nobody's ever heard before.

Just don't be flat.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
You know... Sometimes a simple solo sounds better than a really long complicated long balls.

Actually I'm going to go ahead and say that a simple solo always kicks sweet ass.
So what I can tell from here is that your co-guitarist aka Lokatmeimbangin is going to outperform himself in sweet surrender under the painful agony of irrelevance due a memorial state of mind towards your own solo which will be like a raspberry cupcake topped with ice cream and crumbles of sugar on the inside can I get a hallelujah?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q&feature=kp
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500