Hey there guys!

I have a huge problem. I busted all my savings today on a brand new Peavey 6505+ 112 combo amp. I came home and was so excited to play! I plugged it all in and the lead channel sounds like utter s***. It just makes a crackling sound and whenever I play there is no sustain just 8bit sounds. When I tried playing Seek and Destroy it sounded like I was playing the Mario Bros Theme Song ! I checked all the tubes and they are all intact and perfectly new. The clean and rhythm channels all work perfectly and there is no problem with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks!

Konrad
Take it back.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Brand new, you say?
Back to the store it goes, no question. Don't waste your time or void your warranty trying to diagnose a problem on a brand new amp. It's covered, let Peavey worry about it.

P.S. This is almost certainly a tube issue, looking at tubes is not a good metric of their function. Neither can it be guaranteed that tubes are good just because they are new.
Thanks a lot guys! I will try to send this amp back tomorrow for them to fix it. I will contact the store now and tell them to arrange delivery. I am new to tube amps so I have no idea what could have caused the problem!

Thanks
Yeah, it's almost certainly just a single bad preamp tube. Probably V2, 3, or 4. I had a tube die once and that's pretty much what happened -- no lead channel at all but clean and crunch worked fine. I think it was V3 or 4, but I can't remember now.

If it's a real pain to ship it back, you might consider just buying a 12ax7 tube locally (~$15) and just try it one at a time in all the positions.) That shouldn't void the warranty, as all tube amps need their tubes exchanged eventually. If it was a local store, I'd definitely just take it in though and have them deal with it. It's a major bummer to have to ship a brand new toy away for several weeks!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 12, 2014,
Most likely tube issue, all the Chinese made amps now come in stock with utter sh*te tubes, I change them out right away (the 12ax7s).

In your case better to have the store change out the amp for you just in case it is not the tube.
Hey guys!

I just received an e-mail from Peavey and Dawsons Music Store about the Amp. There were problems with the tubes and they are sending it back to the Peavey HQ in England. However, I am thinking to change the tubes anyway for some better ones such as the Mesa Boogie Rectifier Tubes. Did anyone try them ?

Thanks
^^If memory serves, Mesa just re-brands tubes from another manufacturer, and they're usually nothing special (or you don't know what you're getting). I would pass on them and get JJs. Maybe get a new old stock (NOS) JAN 5751 tube for v1, JJ ECC83s for the rest if you can afford it. JJs are around $12 each in the States; a better deal if you buy 4 or more at a time. NOS JAN tubes can run a lot more, but supposedly are worth it. I've always just used JJs and have been very happy.

You couldn't go wrong with just all JJ ECC83s for that matter. But by playing around with some lower gain factor tubes such as 5751s and 12AT7s, you can achieve even better tone in my opinion. I run a JJ 5751 in V1 and a JJ 12AT7 in V5, regular JJ 12AX7/ECC 83s everywhere else and it sounds much clearer than all 12ax7s. Cleans are quite a bit better too. The lower gain tubes reduce the amp's overall gain a little, but there is still plenty of gain to spare. I don't run my gain above 4 and that's even for death/black metal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 18, 2014,