Recently I decided to tune my secondary guitar to open A however, I made one mistake: instead of tuning my DGB strings up I Tuned them down 2 half steps.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem but I got so excited with this new thing that I replaced those 3 string with a slightly heavier gauge to make up for their loss in tension.

Does anyone know of a tuning that has the DGB strings on a lower note than the rest of the strings? I would prefer open so that I can play with my slide but something else will do as well.

I know I could still tune back to normal or swap back the old strings but that just feels like a waste of the new pack of strings I bought.
Quote by DVVVDM
Does anyone know of a tuning that has the DGB strings on a lower note than the rest of the strings? I would prefer open so that I can play with my slide but something else will do as well.

I'm kind of unsure of what this means? Do you mean like... a tuning with DGB as your three lowest strings or just any tuning with those three consecutive notes (but lower than their "normal" pitch?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I'm kind of unsure of what this means? Do you mean like... a tuning with DGB as your three lowest strings or just any tuning with those three consecutive notes (but lower than their "normal" pitch?

Sorry, I mean that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings have been lowered in pitch and replaced with heavier strings to keep them from rattling.
But the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings normally tuned DGB anyway?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
They're lowered now I think they're CFA now

Making EACFAe wich sounds weird
Last edited by DVVVDM at Feb 12, 2014,
Oh, okay. Well... in this case, Open F tuning would be great for you. Open G (either DGDGBD or GBDGBD) are tune of the best open major chord tunings for guitar, so just do one of those but tuned down a step (CFCFAC or FACFAC).
Quote by theogonia777
Oh, okay. Well... in this case, Open F tuning would be great for you. Open G (either DGDGBD or GBDGBD) are tune of the best open major chord tunings for guitar, so just do one of those but tuned down a step (CFCFAC or FACFAC).

Thanks! But won't the 1st 5th and 6th string be rattling crazy?
I would assume that if you bought the heavier strings for three strings, you would have heavier strings from the same for other strings as well? Also keep in mind that with FACFAC (which is Dobro tuning down a step), you are tuning the low string up half a step to F and the A stays the same.