Hey, everyone. I just got my Bill Lawrence l500xl, and I'm trying to figure out how to install it into my LTD V50. What's confusing me is the wiring in the guitar. According to this http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w
The previous pickup should 4 wires.

This is what it has.

The wire I'm holding seems to be connected to 2 posts on the pickup switch.

Meanwhile, the bill Lawrence pickup has 4 wires. A green and white connected a red, black, and bare.

Now, what's confusing me is, if the installed pickup is just connected to the pickup switch, how is the volume and tone controls working if it's not connected to them? While the diagram fortthe bill Lawrence shown here, it says that the white and green taped off stay together. While the other 3 wires attach to something else.

Anyone have any ideas?
Attach two middle wires, some humbuckers have two wires, some have four, the two middle wires just allow for coil tapping. The other two wires should be hot and ground. I looked at the diagram, hot goes to the switch, ground gets grounded to the back of the tone pot, and that other thing shown coming from the sheathing are the two wires you taped together. The two wires that are taped together do not get attached to anything, they just float in there taped together.

As for your other question, a wire comes out of the switch then goes into the volume pot, the volume pot then selects how much signal is sent to ground. The tone pot is connected to the ground lug and filters parts of the tone to ground. What isn't sent to the tone pot is sent to the output jack.

Hope this helps mate
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
So, literally all I have to do it attach the black and bare wire to the volume pot, and the red to the volume input? Or to the pickup switch?
Some humbuckers have only two wires (hot and ground), like the stock one in your guitar. The Lawrence you've bought (as well as many others, such as Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio) have 4 and give more wiring options (slit coil, phase reversal and such).

Wire colors often differ between companies, so the safest way is to follow the schematic provided by the company that made the pickup.

Or you can use any schematic that suits you from the Seymour Duncan website, just remember about the color coding of your pickup:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

Hope it helps
Quote by tsc86
Some humbuckers have only two wires (hot and ground), like the stock one in your guitar. The Lilace you've bought (as well as many others, such as Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio) have 4 and give more wiring options (slit coil, phase reversal and such).

Wire colors often differ between companies, so the safest way is to follow the schematic provided by the company that made the pickup.

Or you can use any schematic that suits you from the Seymour Duncan website, just remember about the color coding of your pickup:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

Hope it helps

But, the l500xl has 5 wires. Just two of them are connected. There a white, green (those 2 are connected) black, red, and bare. So, the black and bare go to the back of the volume pot, and the red goes to the hot output?
Last edited by Tylander at Feb 12, 2014,
Also, one more thing. The first Pup was wired to the pickup switch, then to the switch ground. The bill Lawrence doesn't have a wire to go to the ground. Do I have to ground it? I could just splice a separate wire from the switch to ground. Or is it fine without it? It creates excess noise, without it, right?
Quote by Tylander
Also, one more thing. The first Pup was wired to the pickup switch, then to the switch ground. The bill Lawrence doesn't have a wire to go to the ground. Do I have to ground it? I could just splice a separate wire from the switch to ground. Or is it fine without it? It creates excess noise, without it, right?

Yeah, that will work just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate