I just don't get it why are some people such assholes? So just this month I've made some much progress with my guitar playing chops, and my ears I feel like my playing has been taken to a whole other level, and i'm proud of that. So just because of the fact that I've made so much progress with my guitar playing being disciplined and all practicing 3 hours a day being really focused trying my hardest!

I decided to take a little break only a week long because I feel like it would be the right thing to do for my body and mind you know how it is you come back from a break of intense wood shedding, and you come back to see that you've progressed even more because you've given your brain the chance to absorb and process all the information you've learned... Okay so anyways I made a post on another website about taking a break and why i'm taking this break and how far I've come with my playing. Some jerk decides to leave a comment about how he thinks i'm in way too much of a rush and how I need to slow down and maybe that's why i'm taking a break. Like taking a little break after a months worth of hard work is wrong really?

I quote this person "You seem to be trying to learn at 100mph"

I just don't understand I never rush through things I take my time working through things until I feel comfortable enough to move on especially when practicing songs or exercises you always have to be always constantly challenging your self. Do others understand that when a person practices 2-3 hours a day that they're not rushing? Even if they reach a certain skill level before the other player it confuses me...

I mean I've earned all my chops, and have great ears by just pure hard work, dedication, and commitment so how am I in a rush just because I practice 3 hours a day? I just really enjoy what i'm doing that's why I want to get good at it.. So in no way am I rushing it just mind ****s me why others are like this. So my question to you guys what your opinion on other guitar players or people in general that are like this?

Sorry if there's any grammatical mistakes I was in a rush writing this I have so many things to do!
Last edited by Black_devils at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by SuperKid
seems like u get offended easily

Not really I don't really care what others think about me. I'm just trying to understand what causes them to say things like this?
Honestly dude, I've met a lot of cool musicians and I've also met a lot of really pigheaded musicians that don't seem to get music is a form of expression, not a pissing contest. You should start developing the thick skin needed to brush off these fools now because it sounds like you want to go somewhere with this and if you do, you're bound to meet a million more assholes.

You're absolutely right though. I will typically practice hard every day for about 2-3 weeks until I'm starting to notice some residual fatigue creeping into my hands, then take a couple days off from my guitar and work on other things. From a physiological standpoint, I'm giving the muscles in my hand a chance to rebuild, although I should probably point out that proper technique should not leave your hands or any other part of your playing mechanism in pain after a single practice session. However, after a few weeks of consistent and constant practice, it's hard not to notice a little soreness creeping in.

Also, what you said about taking a day off so your brain can absorb things is 100% true.

If I could offer you any advice, it would be to concentrate on practicing things that build your range of expression with your instrument and look for advice from people that share this view. They will typically be positive people that will improve your own outlook. Avoid people who are too caught up in themselves to hear what another person is saying or playing... and run like hell from the people who want to one up you all the time because in reality, they just feel threatened by your playing because they know they aren't really that good.

Life lessons.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by STONESHAKER
Honestly dude, I've met a lot of cool musicians and I've also met a lot of really pigheaded musicians that don't seem to get music is a form of expression, not a pissing contest. You should start developing the thick skin needed to brush off these fools now because it sounds like you want to go somewhere with this and if you do, you're bound to meet a million more assholes.

You're absolutely right though. I will typically practice hard every day for about 2-3 weeks until I'm starting to notice some residual fatigue creeping into my hands, then take a couple days off from my guitar and work on other things.

If I could offer you any advice, it would be to concentrate on practicing things that build your range of expression with your instrument and look for advice from people that share this view. They will typically be positive people that will improve your own outlook. Avoid people who are too caught up in themselves to hear what another person is saying or playing... and run like hell from the people who want to one up you all the time because in reality, they just feel threatened by your playing because they know they aren't really that good.

Life lessons.

I can see from reading your post that you understand where i'm coming from right? It's like he was telling me that it's bad to actually make progress instead of posting something positive he posted something really negative.

I'll take your advice and just ignore these people there's not really any point in letting them get to you it's sad though that someone would go out of their way to post a negative comment like that still...
Yup, it's sad. I don't understand why a lot of people do what they do. That's life though. You can't control them. You do have the potential to control yourself though.

There's one kid I jammed with a few times in college that was like a mutual friend of mine and I will always remember him for his snide remarks. I can also still remember the time he tried to tell me he wrote "Caught Up" by The Fall of Troy and I called him out on it immediately. Boy did he get flustered. I'm pretty sure he joined a band that put out an album and is playing locally but they kicked him out recently. Gee, wonder why?

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I edit my posts frequently and added something to my original reply. And this one, now.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Feb 12, 2014,
Quote by STONESHAKER
Yup, it's sad. I don't understand why a lot of people do what they do. That's life though. You can't control them. You do have the potential to control yourself though.

There's one kid I jammed with a few times in college that was like a mutual friend of mine and I will always remember him for his snide remarks. I can also still remember the time he tried to tell me he wrote "Caught Up" by The Fall of Troy and I called him out on it immediately. Boy did he get flustered. I'm pretty sure he joined a band that put out an album and is playing locally but they kicked him out recently. Gee, wonder why?

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I edit my posts frequently and added something to my original reply. And this one, now.

I wouldn't even consider that person you've mentioned as a friend maybe an acquaintance, but nothing more I dislike people like that with a passion and I tend to try my hardest to stay away from them lol.
Quote by chookiecookie
subtle brag thread detected.

In a way it kind of is, but that wasn't the point of this thread lol.
People will always complain about other people working harder than they are. Especially on the internet, because they feel like they should be working instead of diddling around on forums and facebook.

Don't let it get to your head bro, and good luck with the learning!
Quote by Black_devils
Not really I don't really care what others think about me. I'm just trying to understand what causes them to say things like this?

You don't care yet post a huge rant?

To be honest what he posted was hardly offensive at all and this response seems like a massive over reaction to me.
some people, when they notice that you are doing better than they are, will try to pull you down to their level. It's worth having a little think about it, so you cvn recognize it for what it is and be able to shrug it off (and recognise when you do it to others too). Most people will not actually want you to succeed at something (not just guitar, life in general) as it makes them feel left behind. So they respond by dragging you down. As soon as you start making something of yourself in life you'll notice the resistance in nearly everyone around you. A more constructive attitude is to see someone elses improvements as a challenge to be met, rather than a threat, and you should try to surround yourself with those kinds of people. People can challenge each other to climb to greater heights, rather than push others down to make themselves feel higher.
Also, work hard on identifying this behaviour in yourself. Being glad for someone elses success is hard, but something to develop. You can sort every reply in this thread into those who are jealous of your progress and trying to put you down in some way, and those who are supportive. A hint: those who are dragging you down write less, because the supporter type puts in more effort.
Last edited by innovine at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by mjones1992
People will always complain about other people working harder than they are. Especially on the internet, because they feel like they should be working instead of diddling around on forums and facebook.

Don't let it get to your head bro, and good luck with the learning!

Thanks man I didn't let it get to me I really just wanted to know what everyone else's insight on this issue.
Quote by innovine
some people, when they notice that you are doing better than they are, will try to pull you down to their level. It's worth having a little think about it, so you cvn recognize it for what it is and be able to shrug it off (and recognise when you do it to others too). Most people will not actually want you to succeed at something (not just guitar, life in general) as it makes them feel left behind. So they respond by dragging you down. As soon as you start making something of yourself in life you'll notice the resistance in nearly everyone around you. A more constructive attitude is to see someone elses improvements as a challenge to be met, rather than a threat, and you should try to surround yourself with those kinds of people. People can challenge each other to climb to greater heights, rather than push others down to make themselves feel higher.
Also, work hard on identifying this behaviour in yourself. Being glad for someone elses success is hard, but something to develop. You can sort every reply in this thread into those who are jealous of your progress and trying to put you down in some way, and those who are supportive. A hint: those who are dragging you down write less, because the supporter type puts in more effort.

Thanks for your opinion on this issue I really appreciate it, but the thing which confused me is he acted like taking a break was a bad thing.. I mean 3 hours of focused practice each day has me feeling mentally drained by the end of the day, and doing this for a month straight would get anyone burned out in my opinion..

Usually when I feel burnt out from practice and have seen that I've made a lot of gains from working hard I just like to take a 3-4 day break just relaxing and listening to music. I mean this isn't the first time that he's posted negative things in thread I've made the other time I remember him making a post about how he couldn't practice 2-3 hours. He said that the majority of his practice sessions are just noodling around most of the time for like an hour a day... I guess he just doesn't understand how seriously I take making progress with my guitar playing in general.
Last edited by Black_devils at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by shiggityswah
You don't care yet post a huge rant?

To be honest what he posted was hardly offensive at all and this response seems like a massive over reaction to me.

Really? I wasn't even ranting this guy has been going after me for a while now.... Honestly I just made this post to see if anyone's been in a similar situation like this before, and what their insight on the situation was.
The only thing i can say is that there are people with bad attitudes and good attitudes in all fields. But music often have the bad effect of spawning more bad personalities than good.

I've been in many situations were that was the case. People being mean out of jealousy, out of having a god complex or just plain ignorance. Sadly this often happens with different styles of music aswell. Being that i am more of a jack of all trades when it comes to styles i've been in many rock, jazz, pop and funk groups, and all are just throwing swings at eachother. Attitudes like "we are better cause we do this" or "they are dorks cause they play that" etc.

Music sadly attracts alot of these people and they often get stuck in these "camps" with like-minded persons. It teared on me abit, since i was apart of everything and just wanted to play diverse stuff and have fun, and they made me feel inadequate for doing so. Good thing this was many years ago and i am now always playing open-minded people that love everything. It feels good being in a group and not feeling i am going to get laughed at if i say i listen to both EDM and jazz, or Opera and hip-hop.

As said though, sadly there are a bunch of musicians that have the "we against everyone else" attitude. That's life, and you can only try to be the bigger person and not caring about their comments.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
There are far to many ways to interpret this...

One might say that humans in general have problems when it comes to accepting the present.

They see things that insult their beliefs or identity and they feel the need to prove that their position is generally more superior. This results in the strengthening of the ego. If you are right then the other person was wrong; therefore, you are more dominant.

TBH OP you're the perfect example. This random guy on a forum told you that you needed to slow down and it offended your identity. Some part of you must've thought that this guy was wrong and so instead of accepting his mental interpretation you decided to dwell on it and write a separate post on another forum to vent about it.

Thats my interpretation.
Quote by dannydawiz
There are far to many ways to interpret this...

One might say that humans in general have problems when it comes to accepting the present.

They see things that insult their beliefs or identity and they feel the need to prove that their position is generally more superior. This results in the strengthening of the ego. If you are right then the other person was wrong; therefore, you are more dominant.

TBH OP you're the perfect example. This random guy on a forum told you that you needed to slow down and it offended your identity. Some part of you must've thought that this guy was wrong and so instead of accepting his mental interpretation you decided to dwell on it and write a separate post on another forum to vent about it.

Thats my interpretation.

Yeah you're right it was a vent, but right now I could careless I've moved on from this occurrence, and have moved on. I've read all the replies to this and a lot of the guys that have made posts on this thread have given me good advice from what I can tell you this guys always making bitter posts on everyone's thread about their playing it's not the first time it's happened is all I can really say.
Quote by Sickz
The only thing i can say is that there are people with bad attitudes and good attitudes in all fields. But music often have the bad effect of spawning more bad personalities than good.

I've been in many situations were that was the case. People being mean out of jealousy, out of having a god complex or just plain ignorance. Sadly this often happens with different styles of music aswell. Being that i am more of a jack of all trades when it comes to styles i've been in many rock, jazz, pop and funk groups, and all are just throwing swings at eachother. Attitudes like "we are better cause we do this" or "they are dorks cause they play that" etc.

Music sadly attracts alot of these people and they often get stuck in these "camps" with like-minded persons. It teared on me abit, since i was apart of everything and just wanted to play diverse stuff and have fun, and they made me feel inadequate for doing so. Good thing this was many years ago and i am now always playing open-minded people that love everything. It feels good being in a group and not feeling i am going to get laughed at if i say i listen to both EDM and jazz, or Opera and hip-hop.

As said though, sadly there are a bunch of musicians that have the "we against everyone else" attitude. That's life, and you can only try to be the bigger person and not caring about their comments.

I agree with this I've moved on from this now thanks for your advice I'll just ignore it.
3 hours a day is not unusual if you take music seriously. It's about the minimum, actually, to build and maintain high level skills.

I can't say if you're learning too fast or whatever, but a week off will kill your momentum. If you find yourself burnt out after a month of steady practice, you might just need to diversify your practice routine with new music, techniques, or skills.

As for how you handle "criticism", always be open. People have their opinions for reasons, and they're very reasonable just as often as they're silly, hateful, or jealous. If someone says something less than complimentary about your playing, take a moment to consider the merit and think how you might approach things differently. There's no room for egos or "I don't need to do [whatever]" attitudes.
Last edited by cdgraves at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by cdgraves
3 hours a day is not unusual if you take music seriously. It's about the minimum, actually, to build and maintain high level skills.

I can't say if you're learning too fast or whatever, but a week off will kill your momentum. If you find yourself burnt out after a month of steady practice, you might just need to diversify your practice routine with new music, techniques, or skills.

As for how you handle "criticism", always be open. People have their opinions for reasons, and they're very reasonable just as often as they're silly, hateful, or jealous. If someone says something less than complimentary about your playing, take a moment to consider the merit and think how you might approach things differently. There's no room for egos or "I don't need to do [whatever]" attitudes.

Of course I can take constructive criticism, but his wasn't constructive at all. Honestly I don't think taking a week off is bad especially when feeling burnt off i'm not even really taking a full week off i'm just taking the rest of the the week off then getting back on Monday so it's actually 4 days not a full 7 days..

This usually gives me time to change my approach on certain things, and what needs improvements and what not. It might be a break from physical activity, but not so much mental. Plus every time I take a little break I actually come back better than before.. I mean there's a study out there about why knowing how to take breaks is important, and why you should learn how to schedule breaks.

When I get better, and learn how TO wood shed better i'd like to move my practice sessions up to 4 hours per day, but i'm not at that level yet so I wouldn't really worry about that for now...
Also it's about quality hours not quantity some one could practice sloppily for 5 hours a day, and another person could have an hour of focused practice the person with quality practice sessions will always come out better then the person who doesn't know how to practice well, but plays for longer hours.
Last edited by Black_devils at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by Black_devils
Really? I wasn't even ranting this guy has been going after me for a while now.... Honestly I just made this post to see if anyone's been in a similar situation like this before, and what their insight on the situation was.

All you really want to hear out of this thread though is generic 'keep your head up and don't listen to haters' comments. You should already know that, anyway. People can be dicks, get used to it and just learn to ignore it.

Basically all you've done here is let this guy get to you to the point where you've posted a huge amount of material on a thread for the sake of some anonymous approval.

It's not about how good you get or how often you play, it's about enjoying it. If you're taking it so seriously that you get offended when someone tells you that you play too much then I honestly think you're in it for the wrong reasons.
Quote by shiggityswah
All you really want to hear out of this thread though is generic 'keep your head up and don't listen to haters' comments. You should already know that, anyway. People can be dicks, get used to it and just learn to ignore it.

Basically all you've done here is let this guy get to you to the point where you've posted a huge amount of material on a thread for the sake of some anonymous approval.

It's not about how good you get or how often you play, it's about enjoying it. If you're taking it so seriously that you get offended when someone tells you that you play too much then I honestly think you're in it for the wrong reasons.

Wtf? Dude seriously I don't even know how many times I've had to make this same post about just getting others insight on this situation if you've read my previous post. Then you would know that it doesn't even bother me anymore honestly I love playing the guitar shit I love music in general i'm a music freak I just want to be really good at it is all.

You think anyone would be practicing 3 hours a day if they didn't enjoy it? You need to really re think that because it makes no sense I wasn't looking for approval from anyone I just wanted to know others insight on this situation and if they've ever been in something similar to it is all.
It would be nice if a mod could close this thread if any one of you are reading this thanks.