Page 1 of 2
muzix
301 IQ
i'm looking to get a new guitar. i'm a beginner and i want to get a "Gibson 2014 Les Paul Studio Pro". i really liked this guitar, however, i noticed that the previous guitar i started out with, has a tremelo arm. now, this may sound like a dumb question, but i would like to know why the "Gibson 2014 Les Paul Studio Pro" does not have a tremelo arm. what's the difference? is this good or bad? also, could you guys help me choose a really good guitar within my budget of about 1500USD. thank you!

btw, forgot to add this. i like to play metal, alternative rock, sometimes blues stuff.
Last edited by muzix at Feb 12, 2014,
mhanbury2
42 IQ
Because you tend to get more sustane without a tremelo. As far as I know the alex lifeson les Paul is the only one that comes with a trem. There's a few parts you can buy to add a tremalo without drilling but there expensive and I think your better off adding a bigsby if you want to go that route.

If your not set on Gibson there's a lot of options out there in your price range I would look into PRS ce22 or the s2 custom 24.
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
That is a large budget for a complete beginner, remember to buy a good amp because that is possibly more important than the guitar.

As for the tremolo arm, it's just up to your preference. Are you going to use it? If not it will be easier to tune without it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
dtscott2
54 IQ
If you really want a tremelo arm, maybe a gibson LP isnt the guitar for you. they are made for there warm, sustaining tone which might be compromised by installing a tremelo. look more into the strat body guitars, like G&L, fender, and maybe ibanez (if your into that sort of thing). another thing, realize that most LPs are heavy. look at your favorite musicians, what are they playing. you dont have to copy them but it helps you get an idea. i personally prefer strat or "s" bodies, but that is just me. the PRS custom 24 is a bit out of your price range, but you can get it with a floyd rose tremelo. which helps the strings not go out of tune when you use it but you must first, learn how to use it, and be prepared to take about an hour to change your strings.
hairmetalguy
223 IQ
Tremolo arms are for all the cool players! Get yourself a nice heavy superstrat, I've played some Kramer's that have sustain near that of a LP. Plus double cutaway makes it easier to get to the higher frets.

And, of course, there's nothing better then a pointy reverse headstock
The Judist
The problem is choice
2,142 IQ
PRS Orianthi SE should do the trick
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
darrenram1
841 IQ
Quote by hairmetalguy

And, of course, there's nothing better then a pointy reverse headstock

Very, very true. Try looking at the Jackson Soloist series. They have a trem arm and is below your budget. It's on my radar too.

Quote by mhanbury2

As far as I know the alex lifeson les Paul is the only one that comes with a trem

The Epiphone Nightfall comes with a floyd.
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Nightfall.aspx

But $1500 for a beginners budget? I'm jealous now
diabolical
660 IQ
Depends on what you want to do with this guitar long term and if you're looking at it as an investment vs personal instrument. Gibson will keep value probably better than most.
You can also get PRS although choice is a little limited in that area.
As far as the trem arm - if you're beginner a trem is an impediment, and will complicate string changes, tuning, intonation, etc. Personally I'd advise you to stay away from it.

I would suggest a slightly alternate route since you mentioned that you like blues as well as metal. I got a Music Man Steve Morse which covers the whole range of sounds from blues to metal, lots of tonal switches, etc.
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Ernie_Ball_Music_Man_Steve_Morse_Electric_Guitars

You can also go with two guitars, say LTD Eclipse tops of the line for around $1000 and a hollow body blues guitar for about $500.

Have a look at Charvel super strats as well - for around $1000 they are great.
muzix
301 IQ
Thank you very much for everyone's suggestion. I will be looking into all of your recommendations.
eoj02
Metal Head
377 IQ
I deffinately agree with the comment about making sure you have a good amp and or peddle board. If you upgrade those first, you can get some pretty sweet guitars for less than your budget and have a killer sound to go with it.
If you are set on a guitar, I would shy away from the trem as a beginner. I still don't like them and I've been playin for quite a while. Every brand has something in that price range, but you might get more for your money going with something other than gibson.
And to quote above, there is something about a pointy reverse headstock, or a wizard neck.
muzix
301 IQ
i may decide to upgrade my amp soon as well, but bringing up the topic, which amp would you guys recommend out of all these 3:

1. Fender '68 Custom Twin Reverb 85W 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Celestion G12V-70s Speaker Black
2. Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Super Reverb 4X10 Guitar Combo Amp
3. Fender '65 Twin Custom 15 Combo Amp

if these are not good enough, what would you guys recommend getting for the same budget of 1500USD. i'm also thinking about getting a multi effects pedal and i was looking into "DigiTech RP355 Guitar Multi Effects Pedal with Expression Pedal", but please give me more suggestions on these. thank you all!
eoj02
Metal Head
377 IQ
I've only ever played 1 fender amp. It was a champ sothat doesn't count. My favorite combo was a peavey classic 50 2x12. Great combo with a POD live board. The amp was strong enough to play with an extremely loud drummer. It did need the peddle. It's distortion wasn't metal enough.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by muzix
i may decide to upgrade my amp soon as well, but bringing up the topic, which amp would you guys recommend out of all these 3:

1. Fender '68 Custom Twin Reverb 85W 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Celestion G12V-70s Speaker Black

if these are not good enough, what would you guys recommend getting for the same budget of 1500USD. i'm also thinking about getting a multi effects pedal and i was looking into "DigiTech RP355 Guitar Multi Effects Pedal with Expression Pedal", but please give me more suggestions on these. thank you all!

what type(s) of music do you want to play? it's not so much about not being "good enough", it's about getting something suitable.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

diabolical
660 IQ
Quote by muzix

These are all fine amps for blues, wouldn't want any of them for metal. Multifx units are fine if you get your distortion from the amp, I still haven't heard one of these that sounds as good or better than amp distortion.

Maybe you need to reformulate the question as I am not sure if your budget is $1500 overall or $1500 for amp/pedals and $1500 for guitar.
muzix
301 IQ
i want the amp to play metal, alternative rock stuff mostly and it would be $1500 for the amp and probably multifx as the one i posted is about $200 and another $1500 for the guitar.

so what would be a good amp to play metal, alternative rock or even switch it to blues once in a while. how about a marshall or orange? if so, which models would you recommend. i want something nice. i know i'm a beginner, but i would like to get something worth. i don't want to keep upgrading each time. thanks guys!

oh, btw, i guess i don't care much about the tremolo arm anymore as i can always use my ibanez i currently have if i need to. i did like the "Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 2014", BUT, after reading your comments, it would be a much better idea to get a couple of guitars instead of just one expensive one. right? the gibson is a nice one though, what are you guys thoughts on it?
Last edited by muzix at Feb 14, 2014,
diabolical
660 IQ
In that case you're pretty well set from a budget perspective.

I'd probably look at Carvin V3 or Mesa Mini Rectifier. Probably will go to individual effects or a processor that can do a 4 cable setup (you can look that up), like the Boss GT-100, or probably not even bother with fx but put that $$ in the amp.

Amps - you need to decide size, how many channels, band situation/bedroom practice.
For example - the Carvin V3 has 3 channels that are switchable so you can ideally cover blues, rock, metal with one switch of the channel. On other amps you have to stop, make your changes and then go.

Guitars - plenty to choose in that range, find out what is comfortable on your hand (neck radius, width, etc.) and then make an educated decision.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 14, 2014,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by muzix

oh, btw, i guess i don't care much about the tremolo arm anymore as i can always use my ibanez i currently have if i need to. i did like the "Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 2014", BUT, after reading your comments, it would be a much better idea to get a couple of guitars instead of just one expensive one. right? the gibson is a nice one though, what are you guys thoughts on it?

not necessarily- it depends on how wide a range of tones you need and whether you can get all of those from the one guitar, or if you're gigging you might want a backup guitar in case you break a string, etc. etc.

lots of nice amps around the $1500 mark. What bands/guitar players do you mean when you say "metal", "alternative rock" and "blues"?
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

muzix
301 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
What bands/guitar players do you mean when you say "metal", "alternative rock" and "blues"?

Metallica
Black Sabbath
Scorpions
Soundgarden
Korn
Slipknot
Rage Against the Machine
White Zombie
3 Doors Down
AFI
Chevelle
Muse
Def Leppard
Saliva
Skid Row
Staind
Green Day
Disturbed
Lifehouse
Redhot chili peppers
Guns N roses
Weezer
Nirvana
B.B. King
carlos santana
joe satriani
eric clapton

there is more, but i can't remember their names. just a touch of blues, not a lot. i prefer some metal and mostly alternative rock. i like to switch between. the tube amps diabolical mentioned are awesome, but right now i'm looking for a combo. i thought the fender amps were going to be good, but i'm inexperienced, so maybe you guys could help me pick out something better. thank you!
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by mhanbury2
Because you tend to get more sustane without a tremelo. As far as I know the alex lifeson les Paul is the only one that comes with a trem.

The Gibson Axcess (the Alex Lifeson signature is just one version of the Axcess) is in the $3K-$4K range. It's not the only one with a Floyd Rose Trem, however.

Gibson just announced a Traditional Pro 2 that comes with a Floyd Rose trem (in the $2K range)

They also sell the Studio Shred, which can currently be had at $1K and under, and that has a Floyd Rose.

You don't get more sustain without a trem. I have Floyd Roses on four or five LP-ish guitars (only one is an Axcess Custom) and they all have at least as much sustain as their counterparts without trems. This is particularly true if you have one of the Floyd Upgrade type brass sustain blocks on the thing.

The other benefit of the Floyd on an LP type guitar is that it will generally stay in tune MUCH better than a standard LP (you don't have the issues with the strings getting hung up in the nut or the bridge saddles on bends, etc.).
diabolical
660 IQ
Quote by dspellman

The other benefit of the Floyd on an LP type guitar is that it will generally stay in tune MUCH better than a standard LP (you don't have the issues with the strings getting hung up in the nut or the bridge saddles on bends, etc.).

Very true!

I think there was also a retrofit locking tuner replacement, but overall Gibson's tuners are from the early days of the company, most guitars have left them in the dust in that regard.

I still think you lose sustain since you cut part of the wood, less wood, less vibration, any way you look at it. That's the reason why some 80s shredders put the Floyd Rose trems flush with the body without cutting it in.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by muzix
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Scorpions
Soundgarden
Korn
Slipknot
Rage Against the Machine
White Zombie
3 Doors Down
AFI
Chevelle
Muse
Def Leppard
Saliva
Skid Row
Staind
Green Day
Disturbed
Lifehouse
Redhot chili peppers
Guns N roses
Weezer
Nirvana
B.B. King
carlos santana
joe satriani
eric clapton

there is more, but i can't remember their names. just a touch of blues, not a lot. i prefer some metal and mostly alternative rock. i like to switch between. the tube amps diabolical mentioned are awesome, but right now i'm looking for a combo. i thought the fender amps were going to be good, but i'm inexperienced, so maybe you guys could help me pick out something better. thank you!

thanks for the list

Yeah there's nothing wrong with fenders, just most of their models tend to be more aimed at clean tones than anything else, and for heavier music you normally want an amp which is more aimed at distortion.

If you want to keep the price down, I think Musicians Friend has a deal on the jet city 50 watt 1x12 combo at the moment for about $300. That might be worth considering, since you're only starting- it's a really nice amp (especially with a speaker swap, an eminence v12 is ~$75 I think) and should suit most of what you're playing (though it doesn't really have a dedicated clean channel, the "normal" channel is more of a crunch channel though can get cleanish with the gain turned down), while not totally breaking the bank, either. I normally don't recommend cheaping out too much if you have the money for better, but the JC really is just a crazy good deal and can hang (especially with a speaker swap) with far better amps. Considering you're just starting out and probably don't know what you like, it really is a good way of getting something which is still really good and which won't hold you back, but without the massive pricetag either. Best of both worlds, really.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca5012c-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-legend-v128-12-120-watt-vintage-british-tone-speaker (that's not necessary at the start, just for future reference)

an overdrive/boost pedal is pretty handy too, gives you more options. A boss sd1 or digitech bad monkey is nice for pretty cheap.
Quote by classicrocker01

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 15, 2014,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Yeah there's nothing wrong with fenders, just most of their models tend to be more aimed at clean tones than anything else, and for heavier music you normally want an amp which is more aimed at distortion.

I own a Fender HRD combo. It is an awesome guitar for playing blues, classic rock, country, surf/spy/space guitar, jazz...pretty much everything I've thrown at it EXCEPT heavier rock & metal.

Basically, while it can deliver stellar clean tones- which is a great starting point for mucking around with pedals- it doesn't really get convincingly growly enough for harder genres. Even its more distorted second channel doesn't quite pull it off.

So, even though I'm happy with it, I'm currently looking for an Orange to supplement it. And looking at the TS' list of bands he'd like to emulate, I'd think he'd be happier with an Orange (or Mesa/Boogie, or...) over a Fender.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
NewDayHappy
UG Senior Member
216 IQ
I'm a Fender Stratocaster plugged into a Marshall amplifier kinda guy.

Just make sure if you want to sound like Nirvana, invest into a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal for $50 USD.

Kurt Cobain used a Fender Mustang and a Fender Jagstang, so if you're looking to recreate his sound, get: 1.) Fender Mustang 2.) Marshall Amp 3.) Boss DS-1.

I'm a huge Nirvana fan, I play a lot of their songs with an American Strat and it sounds great.

If I had to recommend another guitar to you, it would be a Gibson SG. A bad ass guitar and it's about $500 USD under your $1,500 USD budget. With that extra $500 USD you can get a pedal and a nice Marshall Amp.

No matter what guitar you get, just make sure you get a Marshall amp. They're simply the best at what they do, I've dropped my amp on it's face before and it still works. The dirty channels are just insane, everything about it is just nice. You'll have your amplifier for the next 20 years.
muzix
301 IQ
ugh! i'm having such a hard time deciding what amp to get, even after reading everyone's replies. i was looking at the mesa mini rectifier, but i don't know if it's really worth it, then i saw the orange dark terror and it seems very limited in options/settings. i thought the carvin v3 100w looked really cool, but it's way too expensive and i'm unsure about the peavy. i kinda wanted a combo that would be super cool with a lot of options i could play with that would work for me and at the same time play most of the artist's music i listen to.
muzix
301 IQ
@diabolical: i'm thinking about getting the mesa dual rectifier or carvin v3, but...

1. what's the difference between mesa mini and mesa dual. as a beginner, i do want something excellent, cuz i don't want to be upgrading all the time, but i'd like to know which one would be more convenient for a beginner like me. ALSO, i think the carvin v3 looks really cool too, and how much is this one. after checking this site, http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/V3 it says it's about 900 bucks. is that an accurate price? and between the mesa vs. carvin which is best? i did like the carvin v3 100w lighting effects, that's cool, but i'd like to know which brand performs best.

2. does anybody own either of the tubes and what do they come with out of the box.

3. where can i purchase this new, not used (for the mesa). AND which cabinets would you recommend to go with the tube and how much are the cabinets/speakers.

lots of questions, i know, but i like to be sure of what i'm purchasing before i purchase. i appreciate everyone's help to whoever can help me choose the right tube for me. thanks.
classicrocker01
Hit the Lights!!
1,281 IQ
EVH 5150III amps might be worth a look for you. The 50 watt and a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet would be a very versatile setup that would cover the ground you want, and be able to cover other sounds if you would like to branch out later.

Line 6 Pods are hard to beat if you want a ton of effects to play with. One of the floor models would suit you best.

As far as the guitar, you should really try to play as much as possible before buying something. Guitars tend to be much more personal. You'll want something with humbuckers (dual coil pickups), beyond that go buy what feels best to you. I like Gibsons, but the next guy might like Fenders, and another may like ESP, yet we all play the same music.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Cajundaddy
60s throwback
32 IQ
Muzix, you realize you are a music store's wet dream right? Big budget, wide eyed, limited experience.

As one player to another, allow me to suggest that you will own a lot of guitars and amps in your lifetime and there are no perfect ones. They all got warts. We trade in and out of stuff as tastes change so don't blow your whole wad in one place unless you simply have one of those trust funds that replenishes every 30 days. If you do, buy whatever you think you need.

My humble suggestion based on your experience and musical tastes is to get a rig with badass pro tone and go out and play some. Once you have $3k in earned gig money, buy yourself a very special guitar.

My suggestions:
Guitars- Gibson SG special or PRS SE Tremonti with trem.
Amps- Blackstar, Orange Dark Terror, or Marshall Class 5
Pod Modeling pedal for effects

This gear will all take you well into gig territory and is pretty straightforward to learn and use. If you find yourself playing in large clubs where you need more amp, excellent. Ask the sound crew to put a mic on it.

Now go try out some gear...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
e32lover
2,873 IQ
I prefer ibanez or if i couldnt have ibanez, jackson. For a bedroom jammer, Ibanez is the only brand ive found (RG Prestige) that fits the bill. All the gibsons ive tried are neck heavy, which is prob not a problem if you are standing up strapped, but it becomes annoying when your sitting on the couch. LP's dig into my heart which hurts. SG's i hit my knuckles on the lower horn. ESP's just suck, way to heavy, too neck heavy, just a crappy version of an ibanez imo. Ibanez RG Is the only guitar ive played where i just put it on my leg in playing position and it just stays there by itself. I also like Jackson but dislike the chunky neck joint and the headstock that wont sit it my guitar stand as well.

Also bear in mind that a bolt on neck is the best for longevity. guitar necks bend and warp over time even on high end instruments, and you may find that your neck thru or set neck guitar after a few years the high E is falling off the fretboard. No probs with a bolt on, just loosen the neck screws, give it a slight tug, and tighten back up.

Also dont forget there is a huge difference in feel between a long scale (Ibanez, fender, jackson (pretty much any super strat) and a short scale (gibson, dean, Schecter?) etc. personally i cant stand the shorter scale guitars.
RG's & Mesa's
muzix
301 IQ
Quote by Cajundaddy
Muzix, you realize you are a music store's wet dream right? Big budget, wide eyed, limited experience.

As one player to another, allow me to suggest that you will own a lot of guitars and amps in your lifetime and there are no perfect ones. They all got warts. We trade in and out of stuff as tastes change so don't blow your whole wad in one place unless you simply have one of those trust funds that replenishes every 30 days. If you do, buy whatever you think you need.

My humble suggestion based on your experience and musical tastes is to get a rig with badass pro tone and go out and play some. Once you have $3k in earned gig money, buy yourself a very special guitar.

My suggestions:
Guitars- Gibson SG special or PRS SE Tremonti with trem.
Amps- Blackstar, Orange Dark Terror, or Marshall Class 5
Pod Modeling pedal for effects

This gear will all take you well into gig territory and is pretty straightforward to learn and use. If you find yourself playing in large clubs where you need more amp, excellent. Ask the sound crew to put a mic on it.

Now go try out some gear...

i like the way you think. i think i may purchase a few things with the $1500 instead and if i need to down the road in my lifetime, just get something else. thanks!
muzix
301 IQ
so i was doing some googling and youtubing, and i was putting some stuff together...
what do you guys think of this equiptment...

Blackstar Venue Series HT Club 40 40W Tube Guitar Combo Amp
PRS Tremonti SE Electric Guitar Black
Line 6 Pod HD500X Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal
Cajundaddy
60s throwback
32 IQ
Quote by muzix
so i was doing some googling and youtubing, and i was putting some stuff together...

Slam dunk!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
muzix
301 IQ
Quote by Cajundaddy
Slam dunk!

rock on! \m/ thanks Cajundaddy. you're excellent.

don't want to leave everyone out. thank you EVERYONE for you replies and your BIG HELP! i appreciate everyone who helped me out.
muzix
301 IQ
Cajundaddy, do you happen to know a good place to get rid of my current amp. i have a vox i started out with or do you think i should keep it. what do you recommend.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by muzix

The ONLY thing I don't like is the MFX pedal, but that's because I prefer discrete pedals. That's a solid, no-nonsense rig that should be a blast to play on!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
NewDayHappy
UG Senior Member
216 IQ
Quote by muzix
rock on! \m/ thanks Cajundaddy. you're excellent.

don't want to leave everyone out. thank you EVERYONE for you replies and your BIG HELP! i appreciate everyone who helped me out.

Make sure you don't get an amplifier that's too big, get a smaller to midsized amplifier to practice on so you don't deafen your ears and deeply aggravate the people in your household.

May I recommend the Marshall MG 10CD Series?

Only $100 USD, perfect bedroom amp.

https://www.google.com/#q=buy+marshall+mg10cd
muzix
301 IQ
Quote by NewDayHappy
Make sure you don't get an amplifier that's too big, get a smaller to midsized amplifier to practice on so you don't deafen your ears and deeply aggravate the people in your household.

May I recommend the Marshall MG 10CD Series?

Only $100 USD, perfect bedroom amp.

https://www.google.com/#q=buy+marshall+mg10cd

no worries. i still have the vox, which i think i may actually keep.
diabolical
660 IQ
1. what's the difference between mesa mini and mesa dual. as a beginner, i do want something excellent, cuz i don't want to be upgrading all the time, but i'd like to know which one would be more convenient for a beginner like me. ALSO, i think the carvin v3 looks really cool too, and how much is this one. after checking this site, http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/V3 it says it's about 900 bucks. is that an accurate price? and between the mesa vs. carvin which is best? i did like the carvin v3 100w lighting effects, that's cool, but i'd like to know which brand performs best.

The Mini Rectifier is the smaller/lower wattage version of the big one. Difference is that you don't have to crank to as loud to get power tube saturation. The big one sits better at big gigs, tonally they're about the same.
You can view each here:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Dual_Rectifier/DualRectifier-2010.html

The Mini:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Mini_Rectifier_25/miniRectifier25.html

I'll make even more confusing by adding another Mesa combo that fits that budget - the 5:50:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express+550.html

V3 also has a mini option, all the possibilities for pairing are included here:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3microseries.php

The big V3 (100watt)
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3series.php

I think the main difference is that the power tubes are less and different on the smaller amps, EL34s on the big ones vs EL84.

I am recommending the Mini because of the smaller size since you'd be starting up and then you can move up. They have combo version or just a head that you can pair with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

2. does anybody own either of the tubes and what do they come with out of the box.

You can ask the manufacturer, not sure, Mesa have their own brand of tubes which are rebranded but tested by them to work optimally with their amp.

Carvin - not sure, my guess is JJs.

They are better than fine with what they come with from the factory.

3. where can i purchase this new, not used (for the mesa). AND which cabinets would you recommend to go with the tube and how much are the cabinets/speakers.

Mesa's site has a list of dealers, check the one closest to you. Mesa comes with paired cabs, same for the Carvin, you can also get a 2x12 cab if you don't want to carry all this stuff with you. You can also get other cab, one of the most popular ones is the Marshall 1960a or b (b for slant), plenty of other cab options.

Overall thoughts - all these are super versatile and if you're a Mesa guy (you'd know when you hear one) it could be the amp of a lifetime. Mesa have better support/resale value/community, but it is reflected in the price. Carvin is factory service only which is a bummer since you have to ship it to them. All these designs are solid and both the Carvin and Mesas have been around for a while now, so they're solid. Also both are few of the USA-made amps in this price range.
muzix
301 IQ
diabolical, thank you very much. i will think about getting the mesa mini in the future. i really liked it. i checked it out on youtube, but i will take a look around for a while more, maybe even check out stores and if i can find it to play around with it.