Alright, so I'm going to be learning more bluesy things as far as my guitar playing goes. I was looking for some suggestions as far as artists to listen to.. I haven't listened to many blues tracks so my mind is very open on the genre as a whole.

Thanks in advance for the replies/suggestions.
Blues is a relatively broad genre. I'm going to generalize A LOT here:

We can go all the way back to 'Delta Blues' (actually a little earlier, but whatever) players back in the late 20-30s like Robert Johnson (considered the father of blues), Tommy Johnson, and Son House.

That might not be your cup of tea though, so lets jump to the 40s to folk-blues/east coast blues. Check out Sonny Terry and Brownie Mcghee as well as Bull City Red.

If that's still not your cup of tea, the late 50s-60s-70s saw the electric guitar becoming a staple in blues as well as blues evolving into Rock & Roll. That's where we see guys like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (Cream, and solo work), Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin, Yardbirds), Willie Dixon, B.B. King, Joe Lois Walker, John Lee Hooker, Otis Rush, Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck, John Mayall, etc.

If you want more recent, I've been recently getting into Guthrie Trapp. Also, John Mayer Trio (avoid his solo records!) is worth a listen. Jack White, as pretentious as the guy is, has a few decent blues tracks. Joe Bonamassa is pretty damn good.

Anyway, that's all I could muster off the top of my head but I'm sure you'll stumble on other stuff as you're listening to all that. If you're trying to learn blues guitar, I recommend picking a few of those guys you like and learning as much as you can from them. You'll find that a lot of blues uses the same licks, progressions, and what-not. What makes most of these guys unique is their styling of those licks and progressions. Good luck!
Last edited by mjones1992 at Feb 13, 2014,
Thanks for that info, I realized a few minutes after posting that the "Blues" genre is indeed a very big one that covers a lot of time throughout our history. Your response was exactly what I was looking for, thanks again.
If you want to hear great blues guitar :

1) Albert King 60's recordings. Pick any. Born Under a Bad Sign , Blues Power etc.

2) BB King ( again 60's recordings)

3) Jimi Hendrix Blues compilation album. Red House. Also, check out the original Voodoo Child ( not the popular version) on electric Ladyland - it's probably one the best blues jams ever recorded.

4) Stevie Ray Vaughan - anything from him is incredible. Start with the Texas Flood album.

5) Eric Gales Live - he's a newer player and plays with more gain on his tone, but he's a monster. If you want a more modern virtuoso take on the blues, this is a great album.
So many great examples already suggested. I would like to add Jimmy Thackery and Ronnie Earl to your list. Very different. Both superb.
Jimmie Vaughan. "It's not the notes you play that count; it's the ones you don't play."
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Quote by reverb66
Also, check out the original Voodoo Child ( not the popular version) on electric Ladyland - it's probably one the best blues jams ever recorded.

You mean, "Voodoo Chile(sometimes referred to as Voodoo Chile Blues)" Two totally different songs...even though it did serve as the basis for "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," hence the parenthetical. And yes, it's a great blues jam, one of my favorites.

TS, if you like that song, dive into some Muddy Waters, which is where a lot of that song came from as far as inspiration.

Outside of that, it's been pretty well covered. The Three Kings(BB, Albert and Freddie), Muddy, Buddy Guy, SRV, Robert Johnson, Tommy Johnson, Son House....
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by kmoe
Alright, so I'm going to be learning more bluesy things as far as my guitar playing goes. I was looking for some suggestions as far as artists to listen to.. I haven't listened to many blues tracks so my mind is very open on the genre as a whole.

Thanks in advance for the replies/suggestions.

Delta blues: Robert Johnson -- Hell Hound on my Trail; Cross Roads Blues; Malted Milk; Son House
Acoustic blues (in delta tradition, but later) Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf
Chicago-style electric blues: John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy

etc etc etc
Like duh! You want to learn blues guitar listen to "Key to The Highway" off Derek & the Dominos. It is basically an encyclopedia of blues licks. "Nobody Know You When You're Down and Out" also a lot of great classic blues licks. There's an album called "White Boy Blues" with early tracks also: "Tribute to Elmore," "Freight Loader" and "Snake Drive" where E.C. was still learning. Also John Mayall's "Beano" album.
I would say Stevie Ray Vaughan, unless you want that "old time" blues. If so, Eric Clapton's "From the cradle."
Quote by wolflen
paul butterfield blues band ... w/michael bloomfield...

I discovered a young man that plays the blues like no others...Frank Fois, I think he's Italian
http://www.frankfois.com
I think you must check him out