So i started a new band because my old one fell through and i loaded up on some gear that im gonna be using for a while and i need help getting better metalcore tone. Im working with a ibanez rg120l that i plan on upgrading with some emg h4s and a digitech rp155 (shitty i know) and the stack is a crate gt1200 and i have a legion sound cab amd its pretty awesome. I keep the bass all the way up the mid all the way down and the treble about 3/4 of the way up and i need a whole new idea on what i should do with the pedal settings, its packin a compressor , noise gate, all that good shit. I really need help guys i have a show very soon and any help would be awesome.
For the love of God, please use some mids.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I use the mids on the pedal, but the pedal is loaded up with noise gate, compressor, eq with just treble bass and mids, and distortion.
I just need a whole new idea on all of it. Im new to all my new gear
Quote by bryce.morgan.50
So i started a new band because my old one fell through and i loaded up on some gear that im gonna be using for a while and i need help getting better metalcore tone. Im working with a ibanez rg120l that i plan on upgrading with some emg h4s and a digitech rp155 (shitty i know) and the stack is a crate gt1200 and i have a legion sound cab amd its pretty awesome. I keep the bass all the way up the mid all the way down and the treble about 3/4 of the way up and i need a whole new idea on what i should do with the pedal settings, its packin a compressor , noise gate, all that good shit. I really need help guys i have a show very soon and any help would be awesome.

this almost seems like a troll post. you talk about upgrading a beginner guitar, using a low end effects processor and playing with a budget amp (with scooped mids to boot).

you also list no direction in which you need help and no budget...

don't scoop yer mids, you are just taking yourself out of the mix

don't upgrade low end gear, just use that money to get better equipment.

don't buy gear you know is bad and you'll want to replace later. you're just throwing money away.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Dawg i work my ass off every single day and i sold all my old gear because i needed the money. Its not a troll post so calm your shit i have a show in 3 days and ive been trying to fine tune the sound. The halfstack isnt the problem at all its a ****ing monster actually, i had an esp ec1000L midnight but my dumbass sister spilled a mcdonalds cup full of coke on it 2 days ago and its all sorts of ****ed up and wont be fixed in time for my show. So all i have at this point is the ibanez. its my first pedal ive bought in a while and i diddmt know the true capabilities amd it turned out shitty. I just need advice on how to set up good metalcore sound with what i have now because i have a show soon, i know what i need to get in the future im getting my tax money back soon so i can get all new shit.
Quote by bryce.morgan.50
Dawg i work my ass off every single day and i sold all my old gear because i needed the money. Its not a troll post so calm your shit i have a show in 3 days and ive been trying to fine tune the sound. The halfstack isnt the problem at all its a ****ing monster actually, i had an esp ec1000L midnight but my dumbass sister spilled a mcdonalds cup full of coke on it 2 days ago and its all sorts of ****ed up and wont be fixed in time for my show. So all i have at this point is the ibanez. its my first pedal ive bought in a while and i diddmt know the true capabilities amd it turned out shitty. I just need advice on how to set up good metalcore sound with what i have now because i have a show soon, i know what i need to get in the future im getting my tax money back soon so i can get all new shit.

i thought i was quite calm when posting that, i was just trying to be honest (maybe you just don't wanna hear it ). there are number of very bad ideas in the OP, especially if you are under a money crunch.

don't put good money into bad equipment.

if you are pressed for cash and the 'amp is a monster' then just plug the guitar directly into the amp. give yourself some mids, don't worry about getting the digitech and use the money to fix the guitar instead. metalcore shouldn't really require a number of effects
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Most metalcore seem to be pretty dry. You need mids to cut through the mix, and you need less bass than you think (that's what the bassist is for).

How much gain do you use?

One thing you could try (can't help with the specifics of your pedal) is running a tubescreamer type od in front of the amp with the gain right down and the level right up. This will cut a bit of bass, add a bit of mids and push the amp a little harder. I think your pedal probably has something similar, but I can't guarantee it'll sound good because I don't know specifics about your pedal.
You can probably use the noise gate on the effects pedal if you want, but you'll have to figure out settings yourself (it's not that hard).

You really don't need many effects. Maybe have a delay setting you can turn on and off for any lead parts (or clean sections), but other than that
RIP Gooze

cats
Add mids, remove some bass

Don't get any passive EMG pickups, they suck if you want EMG, look at the redactive pickups here, very inexpensive but still sound good www.guitarfetish.com

I suggest you spend as much time as possible playing and tweaking your gear. Just remember mids are the guitar's voice and by scooping them you make yourself unheard in the mix and that is not good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just because no mids and lots of bass sounds good when you play by yourself doesn't mean it will sound good when you play in a band. Basically.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by gumbilicious
if you are pressed for cash and the 'amp is a monster' then just plug the guitar directly into the amp. give yourself some mids, don't worry about getting the digitech and use the money to fix the guitar instead. metalcore shouldn't really require a number of effects

TS already has the Digitech, but i agree with your post.

Don't use the Digitech RP155, in my opinion it dulls out the tone quite noticeably.
Plug the guitar straight to the amp, then sit a couple meters away and start tweaking the EQ. Learn to use it properly, and it will become your best tone shaping tool.

The only thing to have in mind is, as others already said, give it a healthy amount of mids. Scooping high-gain guitars doesn't work very well in a live band situation.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'm going to take my shot at beating the dead horse and highly suggest you TURN UP THE DAMN MIDS and lose some of that low end.

Since I'm guessing you don't have the cash to buy a couple pieces of new gear before your gig in a few days, I think your best bet is to use the RP only for it's Noise Gate and turn EVERYTHING ELSE off. That includes any amp modelling, EQ, Compression, etc. Your chain should run Guitar >RP (Gate only)> Amp.

Moving forward, although you could use an upgrade in the amp category, I think a good next step would be to ditch the RP and get a Tubescreamer style OD and an actual standalone Noise Gate. If you're on a budget, check into the Digitech Bad Monkey for an OD.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.