I've just inherited a Traynor TS-100 2x12 combo.
Speakers were blown, so I picked up an Eminence Legend 1258 - 8ohms 75 watts.
I'm either going with the Legend GB128 or the new Legend 1275 for the other speaker.
After cleaning the pots and giving it a general sprucing up, I temporarily ran this beast through my Crate 2x12 cabinet (probably stock Crate/Pyle drivers - 60 watts 8 ohms) and this thing is LOUD!
It's head rated 120watts @ 4 ohms.
I've been playing guitar for over 30 years but I am new to the gear end of things.
What would be the best way to wire speakers to get the best performance overall.
When it's all said and done I expect to have 2 separate 2x12 cabinets, each loaded with 8 ohm 75 watt speakers.
I have some print outs to follow for visuals but I just thought I'd ask here.
I don't need this thing to be THAT LOUD I just want the best performance out of my new speakers. Should I wire each cab in series or in parallel? And should I run one cab off of the other or use a splitter and run them both from the head?
Sorry if these are dumb questions, like I said, I'm new on this DIY end of things.
Last edited by Drottsco at Feb 13, 2014,
The thing about amps and speakers is that you always match the impedance.
So your amp is 4 ohms- it needs to see a 4 ohm speaker load.

The best solution would be to create two 8-ohm cabs. This would require using two 16 ohm speakers per box, wired in parallel.

Then you plug your amp into the first cab, which hopefully has 2 jacks in parallel, then connect that cab to the second one.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i'd email eminence and ask them which speaker works well with a 1258 and with your amp. the 1258 is pretty american-sounding while the gb128 is a bit like a greenback. that might work well, depending on what you want, or not (also depending on what you want).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks jthm
I'm just starting to understand how the impedance/ohm thing works.
Since I already have the 8ohm 1258 (and the old 8 ohm Crate speakers for now that will be replaced).
Could I wire the speakers in series in each cab to achieve that same 4 ohm resistance?
What result would I get if I was showing it an 8ohm load, just a cut in power?
Would 120 watts now be closer to 60 then?
Like I said, I don't need all of the volume this thing can give.

Dave Mc -
In my younger days I was a Marshall stack guy (I have less hair and more hearing loss since then - haha)
I now use a Fender Super Champ X2 with an Eminence Copperhead in it as a practice amp.
LOVE that Fender sound when I'm playing clean, Jazz on my Gretsch 5420T or my Strat style Hamer. I like the crunch I get from my Les Paul's humbuckers.
I've seen them offer the 1258 and GB128 as a pair on Musiciansfriend as "the best of both worlds" of Fender and Marshall (American & British voiced).
So i was kind of hoping to get a really well balanced combination from the two.
I will call Eminence, hadn't thought about that obvious move.

Feel free to make a speaker suggestion. I like an Eric Johnson-like overdriven sound, still clear and cutting through the mix but a bell/chime upper without the lows getting muddy).
Budget is going to keep me in the $75 US range per speaker. Very happy with the 1258.

What about mixing cabinets with different speaker sizes?
I have a closed back 4 x 8 loaded with Celestions that I was running my practice amp through before the Copperhead upgrade. Am I correct here? If I make sure my ohms are matching can I use a 2 x12 cab & a 4 x 8 inline like you (jthm) suggested above?

Thanks guys.
yeah if they offer them as a set i'm guessing they work well together. I have both but never thought to try them together

yeah i like the fendery speaker tone too for cleans, i tend to prefer more british speaker tones for od (though the eminence american-voiced speakers handle dirt pretty well too and again it just depends on what you want and like).

i've never tried mixing sizes. I think i've seen a few threads on TGP about that so I'm guessing it's possible but

I don't really want to suggest anything to combine with the 1258 since I haven't tried your amp, and I've only tried the 1258 combined with a couple of speakers- the red white and blues and the screamin eagle basically, I think. If I remember correctly (I only did this comparison briefly a good while ago, and at pretty low home volumes) I didn't really like it combined with the r w + b, it was a bit dark* and I thought the SE sounded better with the r w + b (though admittedly I only tried these speaker combos with a vht special 6 which is pretty dark already). I thought the 1258 sounded pretty good with the screamin eagle, but as i said that was with a darkish amp, with a brighter amp that combo might be way too bright.

* which is weird because on their own I'd say the 1258 is actually brighter and sparklier than the screamin eagle, yet combined with the r w + b the screamin eagle sounded brighter. I'm not sure what was going on there. Only thing I can think of is maybe the screamin eagle is slightly louder than the 1258 and that might explain why it sounded brighter. or else maybe its voicing just matches better with the red white and blues.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 13, 2014,
No problem, good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Chasing Sound!
Wow! Just dropped an Eminence Private Jack into the 2x12 cab paired with the Legend 1258 I already had.
The Traynor pushes 120 Watts @ 4 ohms. I'm lined out from my Fender Super Champ X2 practice amp.
Crazy how great this sounds! Tight but warm low end, defined mids and bright highs!
Clean channel as tons of headroom and the Private Jack breaks up nicely.
Don't think I'll need the other cab afterall.
Woo-whoo!!!
nice I haven't tried the PJ, but I think it's one of their greenback-type speakers.

Just don't push the volume too much on the amp, I think the PJ is only 50 watts so overall your wattage handling is only 100 watts.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?