Whats up guys and girls, this is my first post on this site, and I am really looking for some insight in what seems to be a guitar rut for me.

Lately I have decided to devote a lot more time to practicing playing, because I finally realized that just like anything else you get what you put in. I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now, but really only starting playing a lot a few years ago. I absolutely love playing and have an undying passion for all music, mainly hard rock and heavy metal.

What I am looking for is some insight, no matter how much I practice or play riffs/songs/licks over and over I cant never seem to gain any speed to get up to where I feel I would want to be, and it is really bringing me down because I spend hours practicing and playing lately. Another thing that I notice is that my pick will get caught(only seldom) on the strings during triplet playing a lot, or when going from a fast run on say the low e to a chord on the a, sometimes I cannot get my pick clear from the low e and I'll hit that too unintentionally. and I will fatigue out quickly. I hope these issues in my playing pass, It is dragging me down lately, and I'm working hard to fix these! Help!

I am hoping someone can give me some insight on these few things, and maybe someone has had similar problems but gotten through them?

Thanks in advance!
Pretty much in a similar position here.

Years spent playing rock/blues lead, and got "comfortable" with what I now realise is really sloppy technique (at least for the stuff I want to play now - more metal ).

It's SO hard to unlearn, that I've had to stop "playing".

I can sit with videos or books and practice good "technique" i.e: relaxed good posture and position, controlled fingerings etc, but my GOD am I slow and mostly sound AWFUL!

The temptation is always to go back to my old ways just to play quick and sound "ok" again.

But as soon as I do, I realise my technique goes all to hell.

So I've stopped "playing" everything I used to, and now restrict myself purely to playing with good technique. No matter how bad it sounds right now.

I feel like a fat girl on a diet with a fridge full of cake most days, but I can already tell its going to pay off, so that keeps me going.
I still play the blues and alot of Satriani. It helps keep control of my playing and
inflections. Im still a student of blues. I cant pick like country style.
Some of those gals/gays can seriously out shred me in country .lol

I stopped playing for 3 years
It's been a challenge for me to even pick up my guitar again.
My hand wound go numb after 15 mins of paly. it seriously sucks when I cant feel
notes.lol
I damaged my fretboard hand. I barely started playing again since i signed back up
on this site.

It takes time like anything else. I wasnt really sure if my hand had healed.
So far it held up. Luckily I have a Strat. It not my top chioce of guitar.
But the action is low enough for me to play metal style leads.

I do notice if i use a different pick, it helps. I use Dunlops thin gauge.
I dont get as much attack on all down strokes rhythm as a medium. Then again
the thiner pick allows me to get more speed or use different type of strumming patterns
better. It just flex slighty and wont crack like a regular pick.

Those stretch minor triads exercise helps alot. You just hammer using the pinky
or ring finger at constant speed for around 10-15 seconds. it'll hurt..so you have to stop.
I just pull back on all my fingers to stretch the muscels. After a couple of weeks
I got a lot of my speed back and hand is still holding up. Im still not as good
as I used to be. Learning alot of rhythm chops at the moment.

I also slow everything down. I also makesure my posture are more correct when
playing. I also learn different style or scales.

I just run Reaper with different VSt. Listen to myself on play back.
I sound better and better as I go
Play to different drum loops at different BPM. I dont care if it's note
super fast at the moment. I need to get the timing down more.
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by McOwnage
What I am looking for is some insight, no matter how much I practice or play riffs/songs/licks over and over I cant never seem to gain any speed to get up to where I feel I would want to be, and it is really bringing me down because I spend hours practicing and playing lately.

Already there's a couple of issues here: firstly that speed is not what you should be aiming for; it's not something you can practice and really it's not a skill of its own, it's a result of the skills you have. What you should be aiming for is playing well, that is to say small, relaxed, controlled motions.

Following from that, you can't get to that just by brute force of time, you need to practice with more focus than just "I'm going to keep hitting my head against this wall until it works". Slow down until you can control what you're doing and make sure that you're relaxed as much as possible (your whole body, not just your hands) and try to make small movements. The fretting hand works a little differently in that you shouldn't be trying to make small movements but that you should be aiming to use your muscles as little as possible and stay as relaxed as you can.

Quote by poet666
Years spent playing rock/blues lead, and got "comfortable" with what I now realise is really sloppy technique (at least for the stuff I want to play now - more metal ).

There is no sloppy technique for one genre or whatever; there is only sloppy and clean, completely independent of what you're actually playing.

Quote by poet666
I can sit with videos or books and practice good "technique" i.e: relaxed good posture and position, controlled fingerings etc, but my GOD am I slow and mostly sound AWFUL!

Don't do that. Whatever you do, it should always sound good. If you don't make something sound good slow then it's never going to sound acceptable up to speed. If you watch lesson material from someone like Paul Gilbert you should notice that no matter what he's playing and no matter what speed he's doing it at he's always got good defined pick attack, strong vibrato, good legato technique, the whole bit. That's what you should aim for at all speeds and whether you're 'practicing' or not.

Quote by smc818
*stuff*

Don't take this the wrong way but... you just keep writing words until it feels like you should stop don't you? I keep seeing you post and it always seems to be a long meandering thing with little of any real help in it... I know you're trying but perhaps aim for a little more focus?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.