I recently purchased an EVH 5150 III. I got the 50W head, with matching 2x12 cabinet. Awesome amp, sounds great, cleans are pretty decent. However, my two previous amp setups have been a Fender Blues Jr with a Boss ME-50, and then a Peavey Vypyr. So to say that I'm pretty lost when it comes to pedals and how all that stuff works is an understatement, since I've never had an amp that, on its own and being itself, matches my style.

So what I'm torn between, are a couple different things.

Boss GT-100 vs Line 6 Pod HD500X vs a bunch of stompboxes.

I'm leaning heavily toward getting one of those two multi-fx units. For one, with the L6 and Boss, I can use the 4 cable method to easily route effects to the front of the amp, and into the FX loop, and with the Boss (and probably in the L6) I can bypass the preamp completely and use an amp model to get a better clean than what I'd get in my amp. But I didn't spend a bunch of money for a glorified power amp.

I would prefer to use stompboxes, with MIDI control, but I have no idea how that works, and I don't know what to look for in a power supply, and I won't even have the money for at least a while. But, hey, I do know what pedals I'm going to get, if that's the route I take.

MXR EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger; Boss NS-2, RV-5, DD-7. Maybe a wah later on, haven't really thought about what I want in a wah.

I don't really know what questions to ask, which seems kind of pathetic, so I guess just tell me, what sounds like a reasonable thing to do?
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Both of those MFX are MIDI capable and can make saving settings and recalling them on the amp really easy. The L6 is better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by E V H 5150
I would prefer to use stompboxes, with MIDI control, but I have no idea how that works, and I don't know what to look for in a power supply, and I won't even have the money for at least a while. But, hey, I do know what pedals I'm going to get, if that's the route I take.

MXR EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger; Boss NS-2, RV-5, DD-7. Maybe a wah later on, haven't really thought about what I want in a wah.

I'd definitely go the stompbox route.

However, i'd get an ISP Decimator instead of the NS-2, a TC Electronics Hall Of Fame instead of the RV-5 and a TC Electronics Flashback instead of the DD-7.
A bit more expensive, but considerably better.

As far as power supplies go, safe bets would be a T-Rex Fuel Tank or a Voodoo Labs Power Plant 2.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 13, 2014,
Maybe an overdrive?

Why are you thinking about NS-2? Do you have noise coming from the amp?
I've got the same amp.... I've got the TC nova sys in the loop and it sounds great!!! Look at an Xotic EP booster it's sound great!! I've got an ISP decimator up front and the Nova has an great noise gate in the loop. Play around with some tubes I've got a Mullard in v5 1/2 of the clean channel really makes a huge difference in the clean channel. Also play around with the phase inverter tube also....
I got a Boss GT-10 for the exact same thing but also use it as channel switched, which I don't know if could be done on the EVH amp. It had two noise gates so I didn't need to add those for high gain work.
In your case if you want to go with pedals you can possible get a pedal switched - look at Voodoolabs as they have midi pedal switcher or just analog pedal switched that can switch more than one effect at a time. Rocktron and a few other companies make these switchers too.
The EVH has MIDI so whatever system I use will at some point be MIDI based. So, how does it work? I just plug in each pedal to the MIDI switcher send/return and leave them on, and then program it so when I hit the button it activates whichever loops? And can I control effects that go infront of the amp and the effects that go after the preamp?

Also, whats the general feeling about powered pedalboards such as the SKB PS55?
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
I think, in your case, individual pedals would be the way to go. I'm just as clueless about midi controls as you but it sounds like fun. Besides that though it seems like you know what specific pedals you want already and you can get 'em all (used) for less than the cost of either mfx. Once you integrate the midi...stuff... you'll be able to use your individual pedals like a mfx anyways.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If the EVH is midi then you can control from the midi switcher. If you get the GXC and midi floor board by Voodoolabs you can rackmount your pedals:
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

That's what I have.
Individual pedals it is. Theres a big store a few miles away that I will be visiting this weekend that sells used equipment. My rough estimate says I can probably get everything for about $400. That means the EVH Phase 90 and Flanger, ISP Decimator, and the RV5. For now I'll probably use the delay on my ME-50. I'm going to sell my Vypyr and its footswitch, and decide the fate of my Blues Junior later, though it does sound MUCH MUCH better through my 212 than its piddly little box.

I have decided my budget is 500USD firm, but if I sell any equipment that's going straight to my pedalboard. I bought a power supply, the Voodoo Pedal Power 2 Plus. I am going to fabricate my own pedalboard as well.

Ive never used stompboxes before, always been a modelling guy. Is there a switch on the PP2 that allows for changing the polarity of the outlet, or are they all pretty standard?
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by E V H 5150
I bought a power supply, the Voodoo Pedal Power 2 Plus. I am going to fabricate my own pedalboard as well.

Pedaltrain boards are worth taking a look at also. They have mounting brackets you can get to mount your power supply underneath it.

http://pedaltrain.com/
[..BLACKFIRE..]