Hi all, I've learned Say Goodnight by BFMV from tabs mostly but I can't seem to play it to the record. Why is it so much harder playing it to the record?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Feb 13, 2014,
Well it's harder to play in time. Most recordings hold pretty tight to a tempo. If you haven't been playing with a metronome, start. It will help some.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
Well it's harder to play in time. Most recordings hold pretty tight to a tempo. If you haven't been playing with a metronome, start. It will help some.

True, I guess. Just have to practise.
How long should it take me to be able to play it to the record?
Quote by jamesiles2004
True, I guess. Just have to practise.
How long should it take me to be able to play it to the record?

there is no set length of time it will take anyone to learn anything. It varies quite widely from player to player and how much effort they put in.

It is tricky to play to the record, definitely practice with a metronome as much as you can bare.
Quote by djsdabest
there is no set length of time it will take anyone to learn anything. It varies quite widely from player to player and how much effort they put in.

It is tricky to play to the record, definitely practice with a metronome as much as you can bare.

Is it possible to remove the vocals from the mp3 via Audacity so I can write down the guitar timing?

Will it be a good achievement to have this song done to the record?

Also, what is their next easiest song to learn?
You should be able to find out the tempo in BPM fairly easily on the interwebs. Set your metronome to where you can play it comfortably with few/no mistakes. Practice, and increase the pace as you improve. It's probably mostly a matter of keeping even, not rushing parts that you have really down and slowing down parts that are trickier. Concentrate on this.

As far as a good achievement, that's very subjective, but anytime I get a song down that I really like, I feel good about it. I know nothing about audacity, so I am gonna leave that for someone more qualified. I am not a big BFMV fan, so I can't really speak as to how hard/easy any of their songs are either.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
You should be able to find out the tempo in BPM fairly easily on the interwebs. Set your metronome to where you can play it comfortably with few/no mistakes. Practice, and increase the pace as you improve. It's probably mostly a matter of keeping even, not rushing parts that you have really down and slowing down parts that are trickier. Concentrate on this.

As far as a good achievement, that's very subjective, but anytime I get a song down that I really like, I feel good about it. I know nothing about audacity, so I am gonna leave that for someone more qualified. I am not a big BFMV fan, so I can't really speak as to how hard/easy any of their songs are either.

Good advice. Will it be easier to learn another BFMV song after I learn 'Say Goodnight'?

Why do they not play Say Goodnight live?
Whenever I'm not playing along with a track I tend to play it faster than the original tempo, so when I do play along with a song I have little to no problem slowing it down a bit to match...

Also if its an actual record, most have speed controls, you may be able to slow down the rpm. Furthermore I've seen some record players with a little weight that sits on the center pin of the turn table, might be able to craft a weight to place there if yours didn't come with one.

Hope this helps.
^^ what JTM said. I usually keep trying to speed myself up so when i play along it will seem slower and therefore easier to keep up. As far as learning goes, you just need to keep practicing. There isnt some magic answer to make you better and different things work for different people - have to figure that bit on your own, but every song you learn will increase your skill (and really anytime you pick up your guitar). Sometimes when i am having trouble with a song i will just take a break (not too long) and learn something else. when i go back to it, it often seems easier.
I still can't do it. the record seems faster

Anyone know how I can remove the vocals and just have the guitar to play along to?
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Mar 1, 2014,
I am assuming you dont have Power tab or guitar pro. PowerTab is free to DL/use, or you can get Tux guitar which i believe is free and will open most tab player files (PT, GP). I use an iPad program called Tab toolkit which i personally think is great. Opens all types of files which can be DL'd from any tab site (such as UG - GP, PT and text tab), has a lot of GP features and can adjust play speed to something your comfortable with. Relatively cheap for what you get ($10 or so). Other than file editing features (of which it has none) i think its better than the mobile GP app (which i also have and use).
Quote by mullet_318
I am assuming you dont have Power tab or guitar pro. PowerTab is free to DL/use, or you can get Tux guitar which i believe is free and will open most tab player files (PT, GP). I use an iPad program called Tab toolkit which i personally think is great. Opens all types of files which can be DL'd from any tab site (such as UG - GP, PT and text tab), has a lot of GP features and can adjust play speed to something your comfortable with. Relatively cheap for what you get ($10 or so). Other than file editing features (of which it has none) i think its better than the mobile GP app (which i also have and use).

Why can I play the song not to the record fine but when it comes to playing to the record it's harder? I know it's in real time. Is there another reason?
Wait, is it just this particular song or do you have a problem with other songs as well?? This could be loosely related to a form stage fright...Perhaps there is pressure on your sub con that's making you think too much about performing adequately. I admit I can get a slight case of the jitters when playing in front people, but that goes away after a minute or so.
~ J.T ~
Or is it because I'm listening to the artist and this is killing my confidence? Thus it's hard to pay to the record.
that's a realistic possibility. Keep in mind the song isnt just some guy in his basement. It has (2) guitars (lead/ rhythm), a drum part and a bass part, a production studio, a mastering team and so on. You might even just be hearing something in the song that your part isn't playing (thus sounds different from the recording). As well, if your playing along and you mess up a bit the song doesnt stop. This makes your brain race to catch up, usually (in my experience) further causing a lapse between your playing and the songs.

That said, consider this; play your version alone for someone who knows the song (or not even) and see what they think. Chances are they will not even notice or pick out the parts that are giving you trouble. Your likely not (i hope) going to be playing for your girlfriend along with the song playing. The intent here i believe is for you to play it on your own so you should focus on how you think you sound period, not in comparison to anything else.
Quote by mullet_318
that's a realistic possibility. Keep in mind the song isnt just some guy in his basement. It has (2) guitars (lead/ rhythm), a drum part and a bass part, a production studio, a mastering team and so on. You might even just be hearing something in the song that your part isn't playing (thus sounds different from the recording). As well, if your playing along and you mess up a bit the song doesnt stop. This makes your brain race to catch up, usually (in my experience) further causing a lapse between your playing and the songs.

That said, consider this; play your version alone for someone who knows the song (or not even) and see what they think. Chances are they will not even notice or pick out the parts that are giving you trouble. Your likely not (i hope) going to be playing for your girlfriend along with the song playing. The intent here i believe is for you to play it on your own so you should focus on how you think you sound period, not in comparison to anything else.

I can play the four short solos to the record. Is it the longer the part of the music (such as the 18 second intro); the harder it is to play to the record?

Thanks.