Hi

I'm thinking I'm going to get a new guitar soon and my 2 choices have come down to the Dean Dime o flame and the Dean ML 79 floyd rose. I have heard that the dime o flame has a FR special tremolo on it and the ML 79 has a FR 1000. I'm just wondering out of those 2 tremolos which one is better.

I have never had a guitar with a tremolo on it so I don't know much about tremolos.

Thanks
The FR 1000 is the better trem
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
FR-1000 is the better trem for sure.

If you're set on picking up an ML I would highly suggest skipping both the 79 and Flame, and picking up an AT3000, ATF3000 (Floyd version), or one of the new Chicago Series. Both the AT's and the Chicago's have significantly better pickups and the AT has an Original Floyd Rose.

I owned a AT3000 in Brazilia for awhile, solid instrument.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
FR-1000 is the better trem for sure.

If you're set on picking up an ML I would highly suggest skipping both the 79 and Flame, and picking up an AT3000, ATF3000 (Floyd version), or one of the new Chicago Series. Both the AT's and the Chicago's have significantly better pickups and the AT has an Original Floyd Rose.

I owned a AT3000 in Brazilia for awhile, solid instrument.

The ATF has a FR-1000 on it (Korean OFR) not the German made OFR.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention. Yes the FR-1000 is better than the FR Special.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Feb 13, 2014,
Says right here in the Product Description it's an OFR, from Musicians Friend's website
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/dean-ml-atf3000-electric-guitar

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dean-ML-Archtop-Guitar-Floyd/dp/B002DGS88A
American Musical: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DEE-MLATF3000-LIST

Dean ML Archtop body style
Carved flamed maple top
Mahogany body
24-3/4" Scale
Set mahogany neck
"C" shaped profile
Rosewood fingerboard
Abalone body, neck and headstock binding
1-11/16" nut width
16" radius
22-frets
Dean USA DMT "Baker Act" bridge humbucker pickup
Dean USA DMT "Time Capsule" neck humbucker pickup
2 Volume, 1 tone controls with a 3-way selector
Floyd Rose Original tremolo bridge
Grover tuners
Black hardware
Case sold separately
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 13, 2014,
Ahhh, I see what you're saying. I've never heard the FR-1000 referred to as an Original Floyd Rose before though.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

The Alexi-600 and Schecter Hellraiser C-1 both were advertised as having the "original floyd rose" when I bought them but both have the 1000 series (they now have updated to say 1000).

In either case, the 1000 series is far superior to the special, and I actually preferred it to the German OFR that I did have. Seemed better built than my german one.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Hey thanks for the answers definitely going for the FR-1000. I like the look of the ATF3000 but I'm already going to change the pick-ups in whatever guitar I get so it doesn't really matter what pickups it has.

One more question thought is there a way to tell if it's a FR-1000 like is there any markings on it.

Thanks
Quote by stringmelter
Hey thanks for the answers definitely going for the FR-1000. I like the look of the ATF3000 but I'm already going to change the pick-ups in whatever guitar I get so it doesn't really matter what pickups it has.

One more question thought is there a way to tell if it's a FR-1000 like is there any markings on it.

Thanks

A good way to identify them is to look at the long string lock/intonation bolts that stick out the back. The Korean FR-1000's will have little ridges around the side of the bolt head. The German made ones are smooth around the heads without any ridges at all.

You use to be able to tell from the saddles, but not so much anymore. The Korean ones had bevels on the ends and the German ones were squared off. But now most of the Korean ones are now squared off like the German ones. But the bolts mentioned earlier have remained the same to the best of my knowledge.

Also if it's a newer mass production guitar under $2,500 it will more than likely have a Korean OFR FR-1000 on it.

Here is a pic of the 2. You can just make out the ridges on the bolts sticking out the back of the Korean. And you can see the bevels on the saddles and how the German ones are squared. But there are lots of Korean ones with the squared saddles being made now to. Hope this helps.

That used to be true about the bevels on the saddles but I think I've seen examples recently where the Korean-made ones could still have the "correct" sharper ones. So I'm not sure even that is foolproof any more. Only thing is if it has the bevelled ones it's definitely not a schaller-made OFR.

Quote by Way Cool JR.

Also if it's a newer mass production guitar under $2,500 it will more than likely have a Korean OFR FR-1000 on it.

I think that's about the only way to be sure (and even then). If it's cheap and especially if it's not made in the west, I'd assume it's not a schaller one. In fact it's got to the point where I'd probably assume it's not schaller unless I had proof it was.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 14, 2014,
Also says made in Germany underneath near one of the pivot points
+More

Quote by Dave_Mc
That used to be true about the bevels on the saddles but I think I've seen examples recently where the Korean-made ones could still have the "correct" sharper ones. So I'm not sure even that is foolproof any more. Only thing is if it has the bevelled ones it's definitely not a schaller-made OFR.

I think that's about the only way to be sure (and even then). If it's cheap and especially if it's not made in the west, I'd assume it's not a schaller one. In fact it's got to the point where I'd probably assume it's not schaller unless I had proof it was.

I mentioned that in my post that you can't go by the bevels on the saddles anymore since they make them with the non beveled German styled ones to now. I actually think the majority of them are being made with the squared ones and there's very few of the beveled ones now.

Quote by RCA1186
Also says made in Germany underneath near one of the pivot points

This is a good point and good for TS to know.

I didn't bother mentioning it because you have to basicly remove the trem to see that. I gave him a way to identify them without removing the trem. Which I'm sure he's not going to be able to do when looking at guitars in the stores.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Feb 14, 2014,
I figured you knew about it and didn't mention it for that reason, but I figured might as well add on haha. Also I think its slightly visible if you pin the trem fully forward.
+More

Quote by Way Cool JR.
I mentioned that in my post that you can't go by the bevels on the saddles anymore since they make them with the non beveled German styled ones to now. I actually think the majority of them are being made with the squared ones and there's very few of the beveled ones now.

This is a good point and good for TS to know.

I didn't bother mentioning it because you have to basicly remove the trem to see that. I gave him a way to identify them without removing the trem. Which I'm sure he's not going to be able to do when looking at guitars in the stores.

woops I only read your first paragraph Sorry about that

And yeah the german ones should say they're made in germany, but as you said you have to remove the trem to see that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RCA1186
I figured you knew about it and didn't mention it for that reason, but I figured might as well add on haha. Also I think its slightly visible if you pin the trem fully forward.

It's still good info to know so glad you brought it up.
Hell, nowadays they probably say "Made You Look" underneath of them. lol

Quote by Dave_Mc
woops I only read your first paragraph Sorry about that

And yeah the german ones should say they're made in germany, but as you said you have to remove the trem to see that.

That's all good.
I'm not the best at explaining things so what makes perfect sense to me may be complete gibberish to everyone else. I was thinking that was just the case here
Quote by Way Cool JR.

(a) Hell, nowadays they probably say "Made You Look" underneath of them. lol

(b) That's all good.
I'm not the best at explaining things so what makes perfect sense to me may be complete gibberish to everyone else. I was thinking that was just the case here

(a) LOL

(b) Nah it was my fault, what you wrote was fine for understanding. I thought I'd skimmed what you wrote but apparently I just read the first paragraph

EDIT: The fine tuners appear to be slightly chunkier on the Korean ones, too. That might be another way to tell- though admittedly it's a lot easier if you have the Schaller one to hand to compare them. and like the bevels on the saddles, I'm not certain if it's true in all cases... and again like the bevels you could well find if they realise people are getting wise to it, they could change them
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 15, 2014,